The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Restaurants - where do you work (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
I'm doing a bit of research and trying to find the most common types of restaurants that people work at. I'm making a list that will eventually be used in a marketing piece. It seems to be more of the family bar and grill type. Please post if you are working or have worked at a restaurant and which restaurant. Personally I've worked for Dave & Busters, Old Chicago, Benigans, and TGI Fridays. Any feedback is appreciated.

shawn
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Shawn,

I find that I prefer working at the restaurants that serve food are nice places to work...but that's just me!

Seriously...

I tend to graviate towards the "family" places that are franchised or corporate owned. Why? Becuase they're easy to get. If I walk into 10 family restaurants to solicit my services, I can usually land 7 of the 10. Not that I've ever done that many at one time, I'm using it as an example.

I have performed at:

Red Lobster
Golden Corale
Western Sizzlin
Lubys
Applebees
Fridays
Ruby Tuesday
Bennigans
Cheeburger Cheeburger
The Local Diner
Crystals
On the Border
Red, Hot and Blue
Chicago's
Chic Filet

There have been several others that I cannot remember right now...but I'm pretty sure that other magi's resaurant resume' would be similar...just a guess?

Good luck...would be interested in the results of your research!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Ooopsss....I made an error...

I said:

>> I tend to graviate towards the "family" places that are franchised or corporate owned. <<

I meant to say "family" places that are franchised or are MOM AND POP! My bad...trying to land a corporate contract aint an easy at all...not for me anyhow.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
Ahhhh thanks for the clarification. I thought maybe you had some special technique for getting the corporate franchised restaurant. Those are tough! Thanks for the feedback.

Keep it coming guys. Thanks.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Have never performed for a big corporate place. They are all family owned. Two very upscale restaurants, and one Dave and Buster's Ripoff. I'm very close to sealing a deal with Texas Roadhouse. The only place I'm at now is an upscale steakhouse called Scott's Grille. I've been there for almost 7 years. It's 1 block from the state capitol and it's not uncommon to find state senators wheeling and dealing and such.
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
Thanks Pepka. That's one of the things I'm interested in. The higher end steakhouses and such. How many people are working those. Are they receptive etc etc.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My opinion always has been that those are the only places to target.

Why you may ask? Well when you book shows from it, the shows will be better priced plain and simple. They assume you have a certain price simply from the place they saw you in.

Not may fortune 500 executive types eat at "family" restaurants in my experience. It does happen but not nearly as often as at finer dining establishments.

As for receptive, that comes to if they are receptive to you and your personality and such. The right pitch, the right person and absolutly they are receptive. It is often easier if you know how to pitch them.

Go in and tell them you will increase the bottom line for them, and don't really expect a good responce. Go in and sell on "ambiance" and you will get a heck of a lot further.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
One thing I've found helpful is find a place that has some kind of live entertainment. Piano player, band etc. My place has a DJ in the bar on Friday's after I leave and jazz trio Saturday night.
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
I totally agree. I want to target higher end establishments simply because the resulting work is higher end. I've done family restaurants for years and they generate family shows. However, I still think family rest. are valid. This info is still being compiled. I'm trying to make a list of restaurants that use magicians.

thanks all. keep it coming!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I guess my question is why does it matter?

If you are selling you, then sell you and who cares what anyone else did? Why try to copy those who came before you, strike your own path and be happier for it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-02-29 15:58, Dannydoyle wrote:
I guess my question is why does it matter?

If you are selling you, then sell you and who cares what anyone else did? Why try to copy those who came before you, strike your own path and be happier for it.

You should charge for your advice!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

He doesn't. Hey Danny...I want a refund!!!!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I worked at a Texas Roadhouse for about 9 months. You'll notice if you go to their web site that many locations promote a family/kids night. The manager that hired me made the initial contact, I came in for an interview and was hired on the spot. When he got tranferred, I was gone two weeks later. Just wasn't the new managers thing. The franchise is growing quickly and management is being trained quickly and changes often. Be prepared to leave with the guy that hires you, and don't get your feelings hurt, particularly when the new guy coming in is bean counter type and only looking at the bottom line.

They paid pretty well for this market. I'd go for it. This is a place that does seem to have a corporate policy of hiring magicians.

Good luck,

Derrick
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
My goal is to create a list of restaurants that have used magicians. I intend to use this list in certain circumstances as credibility for having an in-house magician. We all know that restaurant magic works, but not every GM or owner knows that it works. Perhaps if they see that other well established businesses have used or are using magic, then the "idea of a restaurant magician" will have some credibility.

For the record, I'm not trying to copy anyone. At no point did I say I was looking to copy other people's approach. I simply asked about where people were working. I'm adding to my promotional material and I thought this might be worth including.

Thanks
Shawn
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Just sealed a deal this weekend for Texas Roadhouse. I start next Tuesday. Anyone here ever worked for them before?
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1213 Posts

Profile of APC
Quote:
On 2008-02-29 16:34, derrick wrote:
I worked at a Texas Roadhouse for about 9 months.

LOL. Good luck with the list.

Adam

Day 3
DJBrenton
View Profile
Regular user
Midlands, England
129 Posts

Profile of DJBrenton
Quote:
On 2008-03-03 03:12, pepka wrote:
Just sealed a deal this weekend for Texas Roadhouse. I start next Tuesday. Anyone here ever worked for them before?

This is just from memory but I think derrick may have worked there once.
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
If you'll just look up about 5 posts you'll notice that I did. What else would you like to know?

I kind of enjoyed the giant Armadillo they had walking around when I was there. I wouldn't want to be the guy/girl in it but I liked it. They also had very good give aways for the kids like rulers, glasses, 3-D puzzles, etc. It made for a very festive atmosphere, almost like a theme park.

I hated losing that one.

Derrick
JustinVisible
View Profile
Elite user
South Jersey/Philadelphia Areas
453 Posts

Profile of JustinVisible
Quote:
On 2008-03-03 03:12, pepka wrote:

Pepka, I worked at the one in BenSalem/Bristol area. It was a lead from the GM of the restaurant I was currently working at. Nice atmosphere and nice people. Be prepared to work the wait line too depending on which night you work. I would do 5-7min or so, almost stand-up and then when the patrons got their tables, an easy segue of performing some more, TABLE SIDE. If you haven't performed there yet, be ready for A LOT of aisle traffic, having to adjust and get closer to the table. Overall fun place and a good time. Also, look into peanut tricks. I think it was Kostya Kimlat's lecture notes.... Let me know, shoot me a PM and I'll get you the routine.
Congrats

Cheers,

Justin
"If they laugh, it's funny..."
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Thanks guys!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Restaurants - where do you work (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL