The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Who's got the guts for 31 days??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..12~13~14 [Next]
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
A 31 day challenge to those with self respect.

Oh how easy it is to sit there typing and spout out insults, criticisms and rants that do nothing to contribute to the Café tag line of "Magicians helping Magicians"

Lets face it boys (and girls), the Café is going down the tubes mighty quick. I strongly suggest its not the fault of the Café but rather a sign of the times when hiding behind the safety of an anonymous profile or at the very least a keyboard where we don't look a person in the face allows us slide into behavior that we would not exercise if we met in person. I think we are all better than that.

The challenge is very simple. I type this at 12:01 on March 1st, 2008. For one month (31 days from now) how many of us can post only with positive and helpful comments. Still have your say and speak your mind but do it in way you won't regret later. No personal insults, rudeness, sarcasm ..etc.

See you on the other side .... if we can make it. LOL

Day #1 begins. Who's with me?

Best,

Tim
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I'm with you, Tim- I always try to be helpful. I've gotten quite a bit of helpful advice here, and I try to return the favors.

(I reserve my mean comments for other forums, where the sarcasm's expected, and meant to flow freely.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Good luck to you both. Smile
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-03-01 00:41, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
Good luck to you both. Smile

Thanks Josh. We'll need it. LOL

Best,

Tim

Day 1
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I have a possitive approach to everything.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-03-01 01:36, MagicSanta wrote:
I have a possitive approach to everything.

Are you in or out of our little test here Magic Santa. You would be a most interesting participant. Could you go a month without Sarcasm?

Best,

Tim

Day 1
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Have fun failing!
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-03-01 02:29, Joey Stalin wrote:
Have fun failing!

Failure is nothing new or nothing to fear as there is something to be learned in it. The fun will be in the trying. Would you care to join us Joey? I ask this because YOU were partly responsible for this idea. PM me if you are interested to know how.

Best,

Tim

Day 1
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I'm in. Smile

I however am not one to turn the other cheek. (Should Josh decide to ambush).

Tim you said: "Lets face it boys (and girls), the Café is going down the tubes mighty quick."

I tend to disagree...there are snipers that come in to the Café and last about as long as a birthday candle but I still find the Café experience an enlightening one and plenty of fun. While I don't agree that the Café is going down the tubes I do agree and ask for support in getting the Café sign in system CHANGED to real names. This has turned around two other forums I frequented COMPLETELY. No system is perfect but actual names will get us as close as we can get.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Does this mean no more "pee pee head" from Doug?

Actually, I am just thinking of getting my real name on mine. I really don't use Mr. Bill D Entertainer anymore in my work, but the Café has come to know me as such.

Also, a question Doug. Does it have to be your real name or your performing name. Because there are those on here who use their performing name and you might not even know.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I'm in...and fully support real names.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Thanks Guys,

Doug...You don't have to turn the other cheek. LOL Just be polite in any response to an attack. You don't have to be peaches and cream. Give them your mind but do it politely and avoid sinking to the insult level.

Thanks for participating. Maybe I should rephrase. I still think the Café is a good place but its a more "rude" place than before. Many good contributors are gone for that very reason. Many pros who I have invited to join us laugh it off not because they are higher up the ladder than most of us but because they lurk it and don't like the rants and insults and have better things to do.

Bill...I wasn't taking a shot at anonymous posters. Yes I'd prefer everyone had real profiles but I was actually speaking of how we get "brave" when the other person is separated by keyboards and not in front of your face. I don't think we'd act the same if they were standing in front of us. NOT..because they might deck us (LOL) but we've all been raised to be respectful to people in person. Why can't that carry on through a keyboard?

I forgot to mention. Can those on board put " Day 1..etc" at the bottom of their posts in other threads. I want it to draw attention to the experiment. People will see it in other posts and maybe learn about the month.

Best,

Tim

Day 1
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I'm in. Can I say bad things about myself?

John
Day 1
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-03-01 10:20, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I'm in. Can I say bad things about myself?

John
Day 1

Thanks John,

Don't sweat it. Others will do it for you. LOL In the words of the great Miss Davis.." Fasten your seatbelt....its going to be a bumpy ride."

Best,

Tim

Day 1
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I'm in.

Day 1
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Hmmm, I'm in although I don't think I've ever sniped anyone here.

The "real name" thing is significant. Can I change my name from "mandrake01" to my real name or do I have to re register and start all over again?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I've always been polite! So up yours!

oops.

Real names OR Performer Names works for me. As long as the poster has an investment
rather than a hiding place.

I would have to go back to my first postings years ago to put the Day designation. I agreed to the rules then.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-03-01 11:58, mandrake01 wrote:
Hmmm, I'm in although I don't think I've ever sniped anyone here.

The "real name" thing is significant. Can I change my name from "mandrake01" to my real name or do I have to re register and start all over again?

Good question. Ask the mods and let us know the answer. Just for the record.. lots of my buds here use an alias. I'm not trying to change that....I'm just hoping to see what a month of positive postings results in. Of course more real profiles is never a bad thing. LOL What is your real name by the way?

Best,

Tim

Day 1
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-03-01 12:05, Doug Higley wrote:
I've always been polite! So up yours!

oops.

I would have to go back to my first postings years ago to put the Day designation. I agreed to the rules then.

Douglas,

Good natured jabs are of course most welcome. LOL

The day designation is to mark each day of the month ( a countdown towards the last day of the experiment).. not each day you participate.

And... yes you've always been polite. I've had many a debate with you and I still like you...imagine that. Hmmmmm

Best,

Tim
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
I'm in.

Tim, I agree completely with the condition of this board. The Table Hoppers and Party Strollers section has been especially irritating lately. And there isn't just one person to blame.

There are several guys who are respectable, full-time pros with valuable experience and who happen to approach things in very different ways. The problem is that all of them (at least three to my count) seem to hate each other's guts. So when one posts, no matter how politely the post is phrased, one of the others will jump in and start baiting him with insults. The first responds and the thread disintegrates.

The fact is, this thing of ours? It isn't a science. It's an art. There isn't really one right answer to most of the questions--especially issues as mundane and trivial as tips, whether or not to use a close up pad, how to approach a table, and how to approach management. There are pros and cons to every choice...lots of shades of gray that need to be filtered through your own personality. However, there are guys who want to turn their pet beliefs into a dogma and defend it like they are Torquemada going after a heretic. Frankly, it is getting a little tiresome.

Me, I'm just trying to rebuild a career I threw away a long time ago, when I was too young to know better. I come here to see what I can learn to help me on that path, and more and more, find myself gritting my teeth over increasingly childish and juvenile behavior.

As for me, I try to stay out of threads I have no business in, and, I think, have always been respectful. I'll make sure of it from now on.

Dan Ladd

Day 1
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Who's got the guts for 31 days??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL