We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Marlo on Erdnase (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
LOUIEL
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of LOUIEL
Anything to do with ERDNASE is GREAT! hands down I can't wait for all these great books to arrive.

EMVT
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2008-03-02 07:14, USM#80 wrote:
Here is another opinion on this:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=jHw57ulYR4E

Dennis Behr's lampoon is devastating!
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
C-Taylor
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of C-Taylor
Has anyone read this book yet?
"theres a lot of good card magic in that book, unfortunately you have to have skill to do most of it." Smile
Denis Behr
View Profile
Special user
Germany
681 Posts

Profile of Denis Behr
I did read it, so here's a small review.

The most interesting thing for me were the Marlo-commentaries on the book "Revelations" by Vernon. Marlo's personal copy had some hand-written remarks by Marlo and those are reproduced here. They make for a fun reading. Of course, as expected there are a lot of remarks along the lines of "Mentioned and written by Marlo many years ago." and "Again not new and in Marlo's works." (those are actual quotes from the book), but a lot are more interesting and illuminating than that.

The main part of the book discusses alternative handlings for things in Erdnase. These are NOT tips on how to do the sleights and routines in Erdnase, but completely different approaches to the sleights. (In that light, "Seconds Centers Bottoms" could be dubbed a "Marlo on Erdnase" book, since false deals are also discussed in Erdnase.)
So the book is mostly a collection of sleights that usually have not much to do with Erdnase except the fact that sleights from the same genre are also in Erdnase - somtimes at least. (For example, what have the following things to do with Erdnase: Table Faro Shuffle, Strike Second Dealing, Lessinout Stacks, Multiple Minus Deals, Bluff Ace Assembly, ...) Of course there are also some things that are more directly inspired by Erdnase's work.

If this is no problem for you, you'll find some interesting work on stacking, shuffling, false-dealing, slip-cutting, palming and so on.
A small disappointment for me was that a lot of the material has seen print before. I don't need to buy a book in which dozens of pages are redescriptions from items from the Marlo Magazines, his shuffle manuscripts and other Marlo publications, because I have all those. A reference would have been enough. But if your library is of a smaller size, you might say that this is a plus and not a minus.

Concerning the layout and printing: It's so-so. Don't expect a beautifully produced book, but it's servicable. It's illustrated with mainly photographs that are good enough to show everything.

Denis
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16012 Posts

Profile of tommy
Denis

Thanks. I think I will waite for Allan's set and get it with them.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Denis.

Which hands on photographs? It can not be Marlo hands. If I know well on "Seconds, Centers, Bottoms" just pictures.
Stepanov Oleg Anatolievich
Denis Behr
View Profile
Special user
Germany
681 Posts

Profile of Denis Behr
Those are probably Racherbaumer's hands?! I'm not sure.
One or two sleights are demonstrated with Marlo's hands, and a few have line drawings by Schmidt (taken from the original description of those sleights).

Denis
C-Taylor
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of C-Taylor
No there is a section with actual pics of Marl o's hands. On the bottom of page 118, "42They were originally slated to appear in a book by Dave Vogt But he passed before it was finished."

my 2 cents on the book ( it'll pretty much match Mr. Behr's)

I'm was slightly disappointed when I opened the mail, I was thinking it was going to be hard bound which would have been nice. A lot of the material has been published before in other Marlo stuff. Which imo is a drag I was hoping for some new unpublished stuff. There is a lot of re-butle as to the revelations book. I would prefer to see less that and more work. I do how ever think that's it's and over all good book and should be followed with the original EATCT, and Revelations. If your a beginner it has a lot of stuff and I would almost recommend Marlo on Erdnase over the original but they should both be read. Is most of it practical for the card table, Ill leave that for you to deiced. The book foll owes Erdnaes as far as lay out. The notes at the end are interesting but again I's just Marlo Bashing stuff written in Revelations. Can anyone explain beyond Erdnase Im not getting that section. Over I liked the book, it's a must for the beginner, the more advanced or well read Marlo student may not get much ( it is nice to see some "actual" photo's from S,C,B) More of that would be sweet! If out haven't read the Riffle shuffle Trilogy there's a lot in the book that's from those.

2cents
"theres a lot of good card magic in that book, unfortunately you have to have skill to do most of it." Smile
Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
All what I understand - I should buy it, look by myself and made my personal decission...
Denis Behr
View Profile
Special user
Germany
681 Posts

Profile of Denis Behr
While I agree with some of the things C-Taylor wrote (see my review), I disagree with the idea that this is a must for the beginner. In my opinion it is not, and about 100 books come to mind that should be digested before this one is needed.

It is best for either someone who is a great fan of Erdnase and must have everything that has to do with it, or for someone who is already advanced and well-read but is missing some of Marlo's not-so-easy to find publications.

Denis
C-Taylor
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of C-Taylor
Well said, I meant it as a must for a beginning student interested in the Erdnase genre. I should have been more clear.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2713 Posts

Profile of RS1963
C-Taylor

From what Raucherbaumer says at the begining of the Beyond Erdnase section Jon had asked Marlo about doing an annotated book on Erdnase Marlo wasn't that interested in it. As a joke Jon decided to publish an ad for Beyond Erdnase to see what would happen and if maybe that would inspire Ed to write such a book.
pitbossanddealer
View Profile
New user
Indiana
8 Posts

Profile of pitbossanddealer
Am I the only one that has a book with no printing on the spine?
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2713 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2008-03-11 16:36, pitbossanddealer wrote:
Am I the only one that has a book with no printing on the spine?

Nope all the books are like that. That is the way it was intended to be.
J Wessmiller
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
306 Posts

Profile of J Wessmiller
I recently picked this book up and noticed 12 questions from the trivia quiz were taken from me without my permission. See <a href="http://wessmiller.blogspot.com/2007/08/wessmiller-erdnase-quiz.html">August 15th 2007 blog post</a>. Hope it was an honest mistake- anyone know who I should contact?
Think you know Erdnase? Take my quiz

http://wessmiller.blogspot.com
J Wessmiller
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
306 Posts

Profile of J Wessmiller
Oops, forgot I couldn't use html on the Café, it's been a while!
Try this link to see the August 15th 2007 blog post
Think you know Erdnase? Take my quiz

http://wessmiller.blogspot.com
ghostpianist
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of ghostpianist
Have you spoke to Racherbaumer about this?
Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
I envy. Nobody stolen my Erdnase quiz...

Unfortunately I do not agree with some of questions, like 6 about double lift, what mention trick taken from Guyot "Douzième Récréation. Les cartes changeantes sous les mains", and supposed that Erdnase (so Guyot too) mention double lift. But I do not suppose somebody interesting my opinion... Smile
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Step, I'm always interested in your opinion. When I understand it. In this case I don't understand.

What in the heck are you talking about?
Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Dear mr. stoneunhinged, will be nice if you do not call me Step, because on my language it means "Short ***".

Mr. J Wessmiller wrote Erdnase Quiz. There is a question N6 "Where does Erdnase mention a double lift??" On answer he suggest "Invisible flight". There Erdnase suggest show two cards like one, but "show" not means "lift", so, on supposition author's of question "Double Lift" should be just supposed. But, really this is not correct too. Looks like the man who wrote "Invisible flight" take information from Hoffmann. Hoffmann take from Kremer. Kremer take from Gyuot. On Gyuot sure there are no meaning of Double Lift. Just top and bottom changes.

Apologize for my bad English... Or apologize for my not full explained messages.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Marlo on Erdnase (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL