We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Quick Change Artist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
Where does the term "quick change artist" originate?

Did it originally refer to a nimble stage performer or a fast-fingered con man?

Historians?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I think of it applying to performers whose act is quick-change of costumes.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
We arnt confusing it with "short change artist" right?

ATG
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Nope.

The phrase "quick change artist" is sometimes used in police circles as a nickname for a guy who pulls the old money-changing con.

I've never heard the exact phrase "short change artist" used but they are probably related.

Since cop slang is nearly as old as showbiz slang, I was wondering which came first.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2918 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I've heard of short change and change raising, but never quick change used in this regard. The early quick change act were also known as protean acts.
"Muggs"
View Profile
New user
Bridgeport, CT
64 Posts

Profile of
“Short Changing” is when the store cashier or carnival game operator, change booth attendant, etc., takes the customers for part of their change (called ‘short-changing’) that their entitled to.

“Change Raising” is when the con man gets the cashier to give back more change than they are entitled to. A version of doing this is referred to as a “Short Count”

The two titles are frequently interchanged referring to a money / change swindle.

Quick Change Artist – is person in a performance of quickly changing costumes and is not used as a reference by law enforcement for the swindle.

Muggs
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Sorry only heard of short changing and change raising in reference to what you are talking about. Heard of quick change when referring to a costume changing act, like David and Dania (I believe that's there names)
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

((sigh))

Maybe I've been hanging out with too many cops.

"Change raising" sounds like the scam I'm talking about.

I'm not crazy though... some cops DO call these guys QUICK CHANGE ARTISTS.

A Google search confirms it:

pittnews

http://www.innisfilscope.com/news/2006/1115/police/042.html

Here's some more links:

chesterfield

http://www.whiotv.com/news/15443400/detail.html

fraud

crimestoppers
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2918 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Yes, those links are about change raising. The book that Bruce Walstad put out about the subject is the best one on the subject. Because of the nature of the crime, it is almost perfect. If the victim catches on, the perp can just claim confusion and appologize. It is not an easy crime to accurately describe and therefore a difficult one to get a conviction, unless the perp has a record.

And this is almost impossible to do in a performance situation. I have tried to make it play, but the nature of the crime doesn't look like anything until you count the change. It takes a lot of explaining to make the actions clear.

Todd "Laying the Note" Robbins
petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
I never heard the term "Change Raising".
What that describes I've always known as
"Laying The Note".
Pete.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
And do you prefer the long count or the short?

Wait! Don't admit anything!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
I have a video that shows a guy doing this. The name of the video is "Quick Change". However, Change Raising or Short Changing is not the crime they are charged with; Theft or Larceny (depending on the state this happened in).

Glenn
"Muggs"
View Profile
New user
Bridgeport, CT
64 Posts

Profile of
Cholly,

Knowing most of the posters to your question and them, along with myself, repeatedly telling you that Quick Change, to all of us, refers to the performance of quickly changing costumes. Some of these posters ARE police and are telling you – not in the USA. All of the posters you had respond, that I know, are USA based.

The 1st link you sent us to was a media link which has two frailties to the discussion. (1.) They are media – they always get their facts wrong when they don’t know what they are reporting on and (2) They are Canadian based – they speak French there too – a lot of their references are going to be different than ours.

I believe it may be the case of what country are you referring to the term being used.

Muggs
"Muggs"
View Profile
New user
Bridgeport, CT
64 Posts

Profile of
Harley & Todd, I'd like to see you out back..Er...I'll bring the bracelets.

Muggs
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Ha! As if THAT would hold us!

It was good to see you, the other day!

www.bladewalker.com
"Muggs"
View Profile
New user
Bridgeport, CT
64 Posts

Profile of
LOL....well, there are other tools.

Good seeing you also ... you did a great show.

Now, let me see your hands and up against the wall!
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Once I did a tour, and in every town, for PR, they took me to a S&M store, and put me in restraints. I always managed to get out, though I lost some skin a few times, and cut up my mouth.

www.bladewalker.com
"Muggs"
View Profile
New user
Bridgeport, CT
64 Posts

Profile of
Lol...I'm not going there
"Muggs"
View Profile
New user
Bridgeport, CT
64 Posts

Profile of
Are we back on another definition of Quick Change Artist?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Change is inevitable, eh?

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Quick Change Artist? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.47 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL