The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Strong Routine using Only Self Working Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1244 Posts

Profile of Medifro
For this month, I plan to work on Effortless Card Magic by Peter Duffie more ( more like re-reading )

What I want to do is to make all my performances this incoming weeks from this book alone ( hence, easier, automatic card tricks only ). I think it will be a wonderful experience, loads of fun.

that's one advantage of me being an ameature. I can try the tricks I want, when I want Smile

~ Feras
trickytrav
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of trickytrav
FERAS you wont go far wrong with that book from the first trick on.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
I also have to agree and say buying Effortless Card Magic is a great investment. I recently bought the PDF version and because I feel that it is such a great book I have printed out a hard copy. (A lot of paper and ink was used in the process, but it is most definatly worth it)
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1244 Posts

Profile of Medifro
I printed it out to and had it bound. The book is really good so far.

~ Feras
waltsal
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of waltsal
Start with Lazy Mans Card trick
Follow up with Gemini Twins, Triple Prediction and 4,5,6 Packet trick

The spectator will remember that you never touched the cards and most of the magic occurred in the spectator's hands.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Nice routine Waltsal, I like your thinking
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6770 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2008-03-04 02:51, AlexanderYan wrote:
Eugene Burger's handling of the Triple Prediction plot is self working and pretty incredible.

-AY

... shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........
mimo67
View Profile
Elite user
France
428 Posts

Profile of mimo67
Quote :

On 2008-03-04 02:51, AlexanderYan wrote:
Eugene Burger's handling of the Triple Prediction plot is self working and pretty incredible.

Can I ask you please where this presentation can be found ? Thanks a lot !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~MiMo~~~~~~~~~~~~~
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
It can be found in his booklet entitled "Intimate Secrets".
mimo67
View Profile
Elite user
France
428 Posts

Profile of mimo67
Thanks Slydini62 for the answer and waltsal for your ideas.

You can also begin with Chaos (Pit Harling) or Neither Blind Nor Silly (Juan Tamariz), then follow with Absolute Zero (Paul Wilson), then with almost nothing to do E. Burger's version of OOTW followed by H. Lorayne's OOTUniverse... Blacks and Red are again separated after all of those, so another effect can follow with this ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~MiMo~~~~~~~~~~~~~
balic2003
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of balic2003
@waltsal:
depends on the circumstances, but I don´t think lazy mans card trick is a good trick to begin
balic2003
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of balic2003
@mimo67:
I begin with chaos and don´t tip this to everybody, it´s to good;-)
Thomas Henry
View Profile
Inner circle
1011 Posts

Profile of Thomas Henry
Here's a tip that someone may find useful. The setup for "Play It Again (Triumph)" can be used for "The Lazy Man's Card Trick."

If the force should fail in the former (and you'll know it at once, since you're h***ing a b***k with your pinkie), you can always forge ahead with the latter and reach a successful conclusion. The audience will never know you switched gears.

Thomas Henry
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.
panimen
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of panimen
Quote:
On 2008-03-06 00:17, panimen wrote:
These are two routines of self-workers that are based on similar stack arrangements:

Paul Wilson's "Absolute Zero" (a few little fixes to return stack order)
Pit Hartling's "Chaos"
Juan Tamariz's "Neither Blind Nor Stupid"
Any version of Paul Curry's "Out Of This World"

Or:

Al Koran's "Lazy Man's Card Trick"
Benjamin Earl's "Ramjollock" (a few little fixes to return stack order)
Sal Piacente's version of the "Marlo Opener"

Just to clarify my earlier post, the first set of effects secretly maintain and utilize a red/black division while the second set uses any 13-card stack (I prefer a memorized group of 13 cards).

In addition, for those who are familiar with the following effects, the first phase of Stewart James' "Miraskill" allows for a simple red/black separation that can lead to Larry Barnowsky's "Alignment Of Colors At Montauk Point".
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Good tip, Thomas. Thanks for that.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Routine 1
Divisory Capacity - Peter Duffie
Business Card Prophesy -Bill Simon
Conference Pairs -Al Smith

Routine 2
Three Stewart James tricks Smile

Paul.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Here are four effects where virtually no sleights are required.
Each are different enough to make an interesting routine.
How strong they are depends on you're presentation.

1) "You Do As I Do" using only one deck, 'Scarne on Card Tricks' pg.28.
Both Mage and specs find selected cards and they closely match.

2) "Two Card Reverse" Lorayne, 'Close Up Card Magic'.
Two cards placed in the deck reverse. The cards from the above effect could be used.

3) "Scarne's Follow The Leader", 'Scarne on Card Tricks' pg.143.
Two piles of six red & six black cards. One red and one black act as leaders.
The leader cards are switched back and forth a few times and the piles seem to follow ending with the colors alternating in each pile.

4) "Quadruple Coincidence", Frank Garcia, 'Stars of Magic' video.
Four of a kind are produced with the help of the spectator. Impromptu and no stack required.

----------

To be honest, the only effect that I've done is "Quadruple Coincidence".
I found your request for "routines consisting of 3-4 effects that could only be self working" challenging tried to see what non-sleight, non-stack effects I could come up with.
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Gentlemen,

For the record, in 2002 and later in 2004, I did this very thing for the Walt Disney Company. I developed and performed TWO full mentalism acts using playing cards. Every effect was self-working. Both of these shows were presented on a regular schedule before thousands of guests from around the world at the Disney resort on Hilton Head Island.

I later published this material in two separate manuscripts called HOODWINKINGS (Book One in the Act-series) and PREDICT-ABILITIES (Book Two in the Act-series). A highlight of these books is that I took pains to include the full scripts for each effect and even included what I call transition-scripts...the performer/audience dialogue that fills the space in between each routine. Generally speaking, mentalists tend to be more familiar with these works than cardworkers. I think it has something to do with the LACK of sleight-of-hand (sigh).

I remain a huge fan of Semi-Automatic card magic simply because focusing on presentation and entertainment keeps the contracts renewed and the food on my family's table.

Best,
Mick Ayres
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1809 Posts

Profile of Rennie
What about "Miraskill" by Stewart James?
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
639 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Be wary of Miraskill with certain groups, particularly people who play a lot of cards where card counting is required. I performed this for a woman who is an avid bridge player, and while she didn't bust me or even challenge me, I could tell that she sensed something wasn't quite right with the pairing of the reds and blacks.... she didn't know what I did, but she knew I did SOMETHING.

(Out of about 50 people in the audience, SHE was the spectator I chose.... )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Strong Routine using Only Self Working Effects (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL