The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Customized Magic Set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Does anyone here on the Café have any experience with Magic Inc.'s customized magic sets?

http://www.funinc.com/xcart/pages.php?pageid=2

Would be interested in feedback on quality, turnaround time, order minimums, etc. If Kalin & Ginger use it, it must be pretty good, right? I have an e-mail into Magic Inc., but have not heard back from them as of yet.

Does anyone else have any OTHER sources for customized sets already put together?

Before someone suggests it, yes, I'm aware that I can order the effects and put my own together, but I don't have time to do that sort of stuff, so I'm looking for a more turn-key solution.

Thanks,

Lyndel
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
You know, Lyndel, you can purchase the effects wholesale and put your own set togeth... Oops!

Seriously, I'd like to know about the customized magic set myself. If anyone out there has any experience with it, let us know!

See ya!
Joe L.
International Motivational Speaker & Entertainer; Helps you get ROCK-STAR RESULTS for your event!

For your gifts and free trainings, visit:
https://JoeLibbySeminars.com
mrmagic9112
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of mrmagic9112
I have used Fun Inc's Magic sets and it can be a little costly depending on the label you want to put on it. Basically you design the label and send those to them they put them on and shrink wrap it for you. The magic set used can be either the small or large set they offer "World's greatest Magicians" sets. I have found a couple other resources. One is Jon Jensen has a course that is good on putting your own set together. Brad Ross also has a course on Back of Room Sales and He also touches on customizing your own sets. I currently do my own set. It is cheaper at least for me and the profit margin is higher. Hope this helps.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20019 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Lyndel I was confused when you put Magic Inc. Got it now. LOL.

Yes they can be costly, but you will get what you pay for no doubt about it. They are 100% behind everything they sell. A great Chicago company have been around forever.

If the time and effort are worth it to you, go with Fun Inc.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Oops,

Fun Inc, Magic Inc. Whatever Inc....

Thanks Danny, Now I'm embarrassed! LOL! Smile

Lyndel
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20019 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
NOT MY INTENT!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
No prob. My wife say's that if I don't remember the name or answer to something, I just pull a random name or answer out of my a** Guess that's what I did here. LOL!

Old age is a stealthy adversary! Smile

Lyndel
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Actually, Lyndel, you can buy all the props and assemble your own kits.
Oh...right...Nix that idea.

:) OR

In a recent email, Barry Mitchel mentioned some kits he is selling.

"Check out our new magic sets for the kids. HOWEVER, we purposely chose sets with higher quality tricks so you would be proud doing them too. None of the cheap stuff like you might find at a department store. These items will be up on the website in the next few days."

I'm not certain what they look like, but once they are posted (perhaps they already are) you should be able to see them.

Barry, you can send the commission check directly to me. Just kidding.

Scott Smile.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Thanks Scott! I'll investigate that lead!

Lyndel
MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
The one thing about "magic kits" that annoyed me, even as a kid, was a heavy reliance upon gaffs gimmicks, and props that could seemingly only be replaced by the original manufacturer.
To anyone who is manufacturing kits like this, the disappointed 6 year old in me makes this plea. Take a more "self empowerment" approach to the tricks in your kits and packets. If there are two methods for an effect, one relying upon a difficult to manufacture gaff and the other relying upon $.50 worth of string and glue. Include instructions on how to make the gaff themselves.
If it's a choice between pure sleight and a gaff, and the sleight version is within the expected skill level of your audience, skip the gimmick.
"One man's miracle is another man's warm-up"
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Moto,

I understand what you are saying. However, what you are talking about is really a magic book. There are many magic books for kids that do exactly what you are saying.

If I am selling a magic kit, then the materials needed for doing the tricks should be in the "box"--ready to go. I'm not saying you can't have a book, string, glue, coins, etc in your kit, but that doesn't "look" entirely impressive to the adult that is about to pay $20 for your "kit". So, some ready-made, manufactured props are part of the deal. (Otherwise just sell a book.)

Of course, it's not a bad idea to offer alternate methods of making the trick yourself--if possible--in addition to the prop already in the kit. In the kit I sell, my instruction book offers additional tricks that can be accomplished with basic sleight of hand. This adds a bit more technical challenge for those who want to take their magic to the next level.

Good thoughts.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20019 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Most kids want that instant gaff stuff, and not a book. They want to learn right away, and that confidence and feeling then leads them to books.

It is not easy to sell a child a book, and say "here read and learn and practice".

It is far easier to say "here do this and you have a trick".

It is what it is. Hopefully learning a quick trick with gaffs in a set, inspires them to learn more, and then the good books come into play. The gaffs are the hook.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mrmagic9112
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of mrmagic9112
I agree, Kid's want instant gratification. They like the big set with the props etc. I sell a lot of them at my shows. I also offer a DVD form D.Robbins and a generic book also from D.Robbins and the sets far out sell the books or DVDs. Hopefully they get inspired to go beyound just the magic set!
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2008-03-04 11:46, Dannydoyle wrote:
Most kids want that instant gaff stuff, and not a book. They want to learn right away, and that confidence and feeling then leads them to books.

It is not easy to sell a child a book, and say "here read and learn and practice".

It is far easier to say "here do this and you have a trick".

It is what it is. Hopefully learning a quick trick with gaffs in a set, inspires them to learn more, and then the good books come into play. The gaffs are the hook.

I agree! As a kid, I remember just being completely intrigued by the colorful pictures of the unusual looking mysteries contained in the box.

Keeping the tricks simple, easy to understand, and perform - will produce future magicians who will read books and pursue the art further if they are REALLY interested in it.

Lyndel
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
As an SYM teacher (Society of Young Magicians) for over 15 years now, I have had the priviledge of teaching and mentoring kids ages 7-17in the art of magic. I can tellyou that there is importance in empowerment at an early stage.

The child needs to be empowered by the magic that they first pick up and learn. It is the gratification and the power they get knowing they can do it. The smile they get on their face shows you they get it. You empower them with tricks that they can easily master to show them they havr the ability to do magic. You then can steer them in different directions once you get over that hurdle of them realizing themselves that they can do the magic.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20019 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Kids that age get enough learning and book work in school. As a pleasant diversion and getting them "hooked on magic" it needs almost instant gratification.

Perhaps they are inspired to learn more, perhaps not. Either way it is all good.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
I recommend providing both. At most functions where I do BOR, my kit and book sales are about equal. That's probably due to the fact that my books are 25% of the price of a kit. Parents will sometimes go for the cheaper item just so their child can get something. However, at least that child has a way of being exposed to the 'how' of magic.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I agree Scott. Something else you mentioned which I thought was a good point to bring up was the fact that you try and have something so that every child can go home with something. To me this is important. I always have to be conscious that I may be the first magician the child has ever seen. If this is the case then I want to be a professional at all times and to give the child a great experience with magic. Part of that great experience also stems over to the BOR items I sell and what I am seelling. I want to empower the child to feel good about magic and to build confidence. I also want to be able to have somehting so that every kid can take something home with them from the show.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Customized Magic Set (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL