The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Im in love with this magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
rdbateman
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of rdbateman
Thanks for the feedback guys. Someone mentioned I use only BEE cards. Why use those over a Bicycle deck? Is it price or are they made differently that will help me better?
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On 2008-03-07 02:38, rdbateman wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Someone mentioned I use only BEE cards. Why use those over a Bicycle deck? Is it price or are they made differently that will help me better?

Because Bee's do not have the white border around the back of the cards as Bike's do. Once you start to learn the handling you will understand why.

You also asked about other resources for card manipulation. Look up Jeff Sheridan,
and Romaine. They both have DVD's out on what you are looking for.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
I use the red backed Bee's, and I couldn't see myself using anything else. =) I have a deck of manip. cards that I use for some moves, but for the most part, the Bee's are great.

Also, for instruction, check out Tony Clarks Award winning card Routine DVD. It has all the basics of the moves that you see her doing in the video. Spilt fans, single productions (three different ones actually), fan productions, etc. It is great for the beginner card manipulator. The Jeff McBride videos are also highly recommended.

Day 7
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
Most of the manipulation cards that are offered are smaller then bridge cards, they are a lot thinner, but the size makes them harder for me to use, and cost around $10.00 a deck and some of them do not even have a case (box) to store them in. Owln
rdbateman
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of rdbateman
I just got my McBride vol 1 dvd about 2 days ago. WOW! I love his personality. So easy to relate to. Interesting. When I saw DC do Grandpa's Aces, I watched it over and over trying to figure out how he did those color changes. I developed my own theory about how he did it and practiced in front of a mirror for a long time. Turns out, I thought wrong, as I'm 100 percent sure he was doing what McBride refers to as a window change. Cool though, now I know 2 different ways of producing the same effect, however I think, with practice, the window change is the MUCH easier of the two. I love this DVD, but its missing one thing. In standard card manipulation sequencing, the magician produces fans and single card productions, and drops them, only to produce more. How does the magician "refresh" or "recharge" his hand? Is this explained in McBride's vol 2 or 3, or if not, where can I learn more?

On my first post in this thread, I mentioned I can produce up to 6 cards using either hands. I now know that how I was producing is called the "Back Palm Production". Although I have it down so I can pull a single card from the rest and therfore can produce multiple times, which was a big pain to learn. Its unfortunate though, that doesn't explain this and only lectures on 1 card and not multiple.

Oh, and I laughed when, during the second portion of the video that begins to deal with card manipulations, that he switched from a Bicycle to a Bee deck. Although he never mentions why he did that, its now clear to me why that style of deck is better for what he was doing.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
WOW!She is Gorgeous,both in her perfomance and as a Woman!!!
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
As mentioned lots of Practice!!!!!!!!
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
That Angela Funovits. She was on "Phenomenon" last fall, and I thought she was pretty good. She is deffinitely very tallented!

Louis Jutras
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The best cards are red backed borderless cards. Bee will work, but the cards Jeff started with were steamboats, they had just the right feel and they take "softening" very well.
The deck that Anegla is using is a pattern deck for doing color changing backs kind of like the Shimada deck. The nice thing about those cards is that with the black on one corner, against the black backdrop gives you some black art advantages.
McBride videos will teach you everything she does except her make-up.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
rdbateman
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of rdbateman
But where do I learn how to recharge my cards when they run out like everyone else?
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Smile I'm so proud of her!
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Quote:
On 2008-03-12 00:57, rdbateman wrote:
But where do I learn how to recharge my cards when they run out like everyone else?

I don't have the McBride Card Manipulation series yet but on his Manipulations Without Tears DVD he goes over some simple yet effective ways to reload cards without having to steal them from your body.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
THe best cards are sold by Norm Neilsen magic at www.nnmagic. com I recommend the cheaper un-powdered cards as they are thinner and more of a plastic type paper. You will of course have to powder them yourself.

The you lady practiced a lot to make it look so easy. McBride have videos out that cover most of what she was doing. The card shooting was Juliana Chen's version from her DVD.

There may have been one move by Jeff Sheridan also when she vanished the card that looked like it went into a Tenkai Palm for the vanish.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
There is a lot of information outn there in regards to working off the deck. I do this a lot when I am at certain show3s or performances where I do not have a luxury of having my "proper jacket" and set up. working off the pack gives you some flexibility.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
jErMZ
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of jErMZ
About the black print. the deck, pardon me if I'm wrong. Juliana Chen Deck?
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Chen's deck does have a partial black on the back. The design actually is a graphic of her face if I recall and the top section is black for the hair. However, the entire back of the card is not solid black. Hope this helps.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Juveboy
View Profile
New user
Romania
13 Posts

Profile of Juveboy
@ rdbateman..'m quite in a hury now and didn't read all the post but I'd like to add (if someone didn't already)..

Angela funovits (as other said)a great manipulator and mentalist...What you see on the cards are just theyr design , she is on a japaneze style.The card are Juliana chen cards and they have the back of them white with a face of a girl in black (that what you saw)..and they are thinner
From what I know Shimada uses the same technique , when the card are in backpalm the black part of the card in in view and the white one behind the hand , but with a black background you can't see the black part of the cards so it's better then clasic manipulation cards

Also the fans are so good because..1.it requiers skill and 2..are with wax...

I hope I helped you with this information ,,,(If someone said this before me ,,,I'm sorry)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you want to do this, you need several things.
1) ALL the DVD's on the subject
2) ALL the books on the subject
3) Hours of practice.
4) More hours of practice.

Then you need a plan to make your act look original. I do not like to see card manipulators come out and litter a stage. There was way too much of that at the combined convention. There were more card manipulators than there were illusions for Pete's sake!

Fantasio is an excellent manipulator. He doesn't litter the stage.

I went to see the magic show at the Wintergarten in Berlin last summer. They had a comic, a mentalist (Jan Becker! excellent!), Otto Wessely (very funny act!) and Julianna Chen. I was very disappointed with Julianna's act. She came out of a crouch and just threw cards everywhere. There was no magic. There was no real manipulation.

So see if you can learn to do something DIFFERENT with card manipulation. Others have.

Or maybe you should manipulate something else.

Remember this: unless you are the closer on the bill, the next act is going to have to wait until your mess gets cleaned up before they go on. Dancers really don't like card manipulators.

Or water acts, for that matter!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
Ahhh! why has no one answered the original poster's question about how to "refresh" cards?

dude- two methods are discussed in the series. watch those DVDs over and over again, there is a section called "clip stealing" that will refresh hands, and "split fan productions" teaches you how to drop many cards whilst still retaining many others in various palm positions.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2008-03-03 23:49, The Great Danton wrote:
It's too bad she's probably too old for me... =)

And sadly, too YOUNG for me!!!! Smile
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Im in love with this magician (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL