The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Survival Magic DVD Simon Lovell (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
CyrusTX
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of CyrusTX
I also throw in my hat for Simon! I think his sense of humor and his material is Grade A stuff. He quotes his sources and with MM he usually gets a good product. (Unlike the hicks in the L&L audience who are still knocked off their chairs by a double lift after seeing it done 4000 times).

People can not buy Simon's stuff for whatever reason they choose...but I think that is their loss.

Keep up the good work Simon!
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I have two books from Simon which I'm sure were put out by L&L. This is mostly the
same stuff which is now being re-hashed onto dvd's.

Yes, Simon can be funny but I think his defence of MM to be extremely lame.

CyrusTX if you can get the same reaction that Tommy Wonder or Bill Malone get on
their excellent L&L dvd's then well done! [and if you have'nt got those sets RUN and buy them!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
CyrusTX
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of CyrusTX
I have the entire LL dvds. I own a magic shop. I love tommy wonder and bill Malone (had bill come to austin to give a show for us couple years ago.)

BUT....there were probably 4 times in the first set of Malone DVDs that I would have prefered to see the move and not the fake reaction that the camera cut to. Maybe I am different, but I buy the those DVDs to study the magician...not to see some fake audience reaction.

I say fake reaction but I acknowledge this....malone's performance or wonder's or any top magician would get a great reaction. I am saying it is the same freaking group in every video and the same reaction. OK, I get it..they are there to show us how great it is...BUT...please don't cut away form the performer so I can see that group.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I understand you now.There was an entire thread on that audience.

If you own a magic shop I hope you stock the original 'Cardtoon' by Dan Harlan and the original 'Pen thru anything' by John Cornelious.
Despite Simon saying MM are doing their best to move forward their site is still
littered with copies of other peoples ideas.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
CyrusTX
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of CyrusTX
We do..we do. We attempted to not carry any 'knock-off' products.

We have had some showup from time to time but as soon as I learn that a certain product is a knock-off I will never order it again.
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
Why does every thread have to turn into this?
If you want to discuss the ethics about magic makers, there is a thread on "Right or wrong"

How many knock offs of pen thru dollars are on the market?

I like Lovell's dvds and they will continue to be the few that I purchase from M.M.
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
359 Posts

Profile of Loopback
I read this whole post but still haven't figured out what to expect from the dvd.
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
Just got the DVD--

Just seeing Simon work is worth the money!

:)
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
Wilber
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Wilber
The dvd has some solid effects in it. I enjoyed watching it. Simon is very funny and his teaching style is good.
TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
FL
346 Posts

Profile of TKE
Can someone give a description of the effects on here?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Simon makes me smile. I immediately think of sitting with him having some ice cold brews in a pub on w. 46st and commenting about the girls walking by the window.

He strikes me as a wonderful fellow.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
359 Posts

Profile of Loopback
I have this DVD. It has some great impromptu stuff on it! I think it was around 15 bucks at the local magic shop. that's cheaper than most movie DVDs. It has around 14 different effects on it.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
PLUG!

Simon and I will be on a mini lecture tour from May 1st till the 9th. If you check out the So Happy Together section you will see a list of dates and venues.

If you guys can make it you can see some great magic, ask about his DVD's, and we can all talk about MM.

Hope to see you there!
Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Magic makers are not trying to get way from it. The just put out a ring on band dvd that ripps of russ nedzwiki( spelling) pinical routine! As I have told you face to face soimon. I think your a great guy and respect your work. I just wish you would build alliances with a better company
SplitSpades11
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of SplitSpades11
I personally didn't like the DVD as far as effects go and was surprised that Simon was on this kind of project.It had one or two effects that are quiet solid but other than that it as a bit of a let down..............but!!!Simon is an absolutely excellent performer,magician and an all round hilarious guy! I have many other of his DVD's (Million Dollar Card Magic,Packet Killer,Toolbox,Transpo Kings etc....) and they are all incredible and outstanding as well as his compilations and effects with David Acer he is definitely one of my all time favorite magicians!That's why I was surprised to see his in something that wasn't absolutely flawless!I also agree with what Allan said.Magic Makers just makes knock-offs of other creators effects! you definitely deserve better Simon!
"I care about eating, magic, and holding my children. " — Jay Sankey
SplitSpades11
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of SplitSpades11
Quote:
On 2008-04-23 02:12, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Simon makes me smile. I immediately think of sitting with him having some ice cold brews in a pub on w. 46st and commenting about the girls walking by the window.

That is a mildly disturbing thought?......don't you think?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-11-01 22:46, SplitSpades11 wrote:
Quote:

Watching girls walk by is disturbing? I guess if you don't like girls it is. Watch whatever/who you want. Whatever floats your boat.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
SplitSpades11
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of SplitSpades11
Quote:
On 2008-11-01 23:15, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-11-01 22:46, SplitSpades11 wrote:
Quote:

Watching girls walk by is disturbing? I guess if you don't like girls it is. Watch whatever/who you want. Whatever floats your boat.

Stalking people in an imaginary world with Simon Lovell is just a really random thing to imagine that's all.It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into the whole scenario and I find that quiet weird!
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
I picked up this DVD I was sirt if dissapointed through out the DVD while watching it there was nothing really for me. UNTIL the last routine. and WOW This handling of the routine with girls and family secrets is brilliant and worth it for me this is some powerful stuff.

Actually I was not 100% dissapointed because the first effect was a center tear routine which I do a center tear routine but this handling is brilliant and justifies many of the problems.

There are two other good things I got out of this but they are not magic they are bar bets and I hate bar bets and never use them but will use these. The first is about something no one has ever seen in their life not even you and you have it and show it.

The second has to do with a stack of card decks and a glass which really fools.

But the rest of the stuff on the tape is very basic and can be found in many books but that last routine is just a great effect. I hate the term worth the price of the tape, book, etc but I really do feel that the last effect is worth the price.
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
Quote:

There is no "sitting and watching" with Simon, there is only looking for a stick to beat all the women off of him. Nope, I'm not kidding... I think it's the accent (or his uncanny ability to strike up conversations with women who love soccer).

As far as the magic, and performance... there is none better. I've seen some pretty hard core sleight of hand guys, and some hilarious performers; but nobody combines the two with the skill of Simon Lovell.

I work close up for a living, at least three nights a week for the last ten years. Just when I think I've got it all figured out, and my head starts to get big, I go watch Simon, and he makes me realize how much I still have to learn. Don't be fooled by his light hearted persona, or accent... he will smoke you every day of the week (twice on Sunday). Buy his stuff. Listen to him teach. Apply the lessons. Become a better magician.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Survival Magic DVD Simon Lovell (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL