The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Folding quarter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1907 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Without having to go through Lassen or Schoolcraft at least not yet, can anyone direct me to a quality folding quarter with a 2-seam full profile cut.

And where can you get the rubberbands for the same coin. I'm looking for rubberbands that are approximately 1/4 inch in diameter and just shy of 1/16 inch thick. I have about 5 left and don't remember where I got them. I'm not looking for the ones that look like they are cut with an exacto knife from one long rubber tube. The ones I have look like they might be manufactured that way. They are all exactly uniform in shape and all the exact same size. Thanks for anyone's help.
Mithrandir
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island N.Y.
111 Posts

Profile of Mithrandir
Tbaer, maybe the little rubberbands used for braces (dental) will work.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
762 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
You should go with Johnson. They have a good looking folding coin. Half and a quarter. They also have the bands for these coins. PM Me for Phone # If needed
Lassens has the best in my opinion but if you want to squeaze the buck then Johnson.
Close up coin magic.

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Twocan is right, Johnson is going to last you a while and be a good gaffed coin for you. There are some cheaper ones, but they don't look as good nor last as long. Unless you only plan on using them a short while and not too often,stay away from the cheap brands. Johnson will do you a good job.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
I Agree, Johnson coins are great coins for the magi on a budget.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
356 Posts

Profile of Loopback
I have the johnson folding quarter and it works great. Somewhere I read about putting an extra band on it. This has worked great for me.
jfkkraemer
View Profile
Elite user
SoCal
481 Posts

Profile of jfkkraemer
I second the two band thought. It gives you that extra safety measure that if one goes the other will save the day. The little rubber bands that are used for braces do work extremely well also. Give your dentist a shot and if you strike out there and stick with a Johnson or Kueppers' folding coin you can always order replacements for thhose. As well if you are some what close to a magic shop they should have replacements.

Jeff
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1907 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I just got a Johnson double profile cut folding eagle quarter and you cannot see the seams. You get 10 rubberbands with the coin.
jbk2006
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
230 Posts

Profile of jbk2006
Check out roy knueppers quarters too....nice stuff.
MagicAggie
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of MagicAggie
I agree that the Johnson's are better but the Kueppers are great for the price. I picked up both the Folding Quarter (two folds) and the Bite Out (one fold) for about $7 each.
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweet Home Alabama
400 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
I just wanted to give you experience with considering purchasing a Johnson Folding quarter.
I had the opportunity of viewing several (dozen or more) quarters from a local dealer who sells Johnson coins. I'll have to say that out of the dozen or more coins, only one maybe two looked convincing enough to be or "appear" to be a solid coin up close and personal.

I'm particular about my coins. For me as a close up magician, it's one less obstacle to have to concern myself about having prove/ convince the participant that the coin is solid. I'm the kind of person that likes for my participants to get down on top of the coin.

Bottom line, I believe seeing is believing. If you have a local dealer available, take the opportunity to view several of the coins before you purchase one.

I can't speak about the Lassen or Schoolcraft coins because I've never owned one. Maybe someone can give me some advice with having purchased one their folding quarters.

Just my quarter's worth.

allen
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Profile of organicmagician
In most (if not all) folding quarter applications, you are going to be showing them a real quarter or using their coin, then switching out at the last minute. The need for it to withstand extremely close-up scrutiny is pretty minimal. But, check out Todd and Jamie's sites if you want to see their folding coins - I'm sure Jamie's are nice and the Lassen ones I've seen are very subtle and convincing.
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweet Home Alabama
400 Posts

How do Jamie's and Todd's folding coins compare to Johnson's folding coins in regards to easily lodging and dislodging from a bottle, are they laser cut or machine cut/ what's the difference, do you ever have the coin come apart when lodging the coin into a bottle, etc., etc.? What causes the coin to come apart and how can you prevent the coin from coming apart?

allen
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I use the johnson coin with two rubber bands and never had any problems great product.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1907 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Quote:
On 2008-04-27 00:44, Magic from A to Z wrote:
I just wanted to give you experience with considering purchasing a Johnson Folding quarter.
I had the opportunity of viewing several (dozen or more) quarters from a local dealer who sells Johnson coins. I'll have to say that out of the dozen or more coins, only one maybe two looked convincing enough to be or "appear" to be a solid coin up close and personal.
allen

Allen, were they profile cuts? The one I have you cannot see the seams unless within a foot away. The ones you looked at, I wonder if the bands were stretched out and needed changing.
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweet Home Alabama
400 Posts

If I recall, I'm sure they were profile cuts, but just found it interesting that only one or two were convincing enough to be a "solid" coin to within a foot or less. You may be correct, I hadn't thought that the bands may have been stretched on the others to consider.

Thanks.....

allen
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
356 Posts

Profile of Loopback
This is one of my favorite effects. The Johnson works well for me. I use a brown beer bottle and let them see it inside the bottle. I have never been called out on the coin. The fact that they still believe its their quarter is what sells it.

The biggest concern is the gimmick breaking in the bottle. Make sure to double up on the band.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1701 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Are all folding quarters two-folds or are any single fold?
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Watch the brilliant effect, Rule of Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CytuXsCbL0 and order it from www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1016 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Jon- There are bite quarters that are single fold, if I understand your question correctly. (By the way, I just purchased your "Double Back". Love it. Thanks.)

John
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1701 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi John,

Thanks for posting and glad you love Double Back!

I take it bite out quarters aren't made for CiB but can be used for it while the CiB folding coins are all double fold? What do most US magicians use do you think for CiB?
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Watch the brilliant effect, Rule of Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CytuXsCbL0 and order it from www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Folding quarter (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL