The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Where did John come from? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm watching the Sara Conner Chronicles, the Terminator TV series. I've only seen the first two movies once so tolerate my lack of name knowledge. In the movies that fellow comes back to protect Sara because she is going to have a son named John who goes on to lead some resistance in the future and he sends the guy back to protect his mother. The guy knocks up Sara and low and behold he is the father of John. Okay, here is my problem. If the fellow from the future is the father of John and was sent back to protect Sara, who he knocked up, how is it he knocked her up the first time so that John would exist and go through the circumstances to become the resistance leader and send the guy back to protect his mother? There had to be a first time but it is implied that John came before conception. I know some of you know the answer, I'm just wondering.....
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Cyclical view of time as opposed to Linear view of time.
Very confusing to people like me.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-03-03 23:52, MagicSanta wrote:
I'm watching the Sara Conner Chronicles, the Terminator TV series. I've only seen the first two movies once so tolerate my lack of name knowledge. In the movies that fellow comes back to protect Sara because she is going to have a son named John who goes on to lead some resistance in the future and he sends the guy back to protect his mother. The guy knocks up Sara and low and behold he is the father of John. Okay, here is my problem. If the fellow from the future is the father of John and was sent back to protect Sara, who he knocked up, how is it he knocked her up the first time so that John would exist and go through the circumstances to become the resistance leader and send the guy back to protect his mother? There had to be a first time but it is implied that John came before conception. I know some of you know the answer, I'm just wondering.....

Is a common movie time paradox... the ol' chicken or the egg first thing.

Best,

Tim Smile

Day 3
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2711 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I have no clue

Randy

0 days
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Remember that movie from around 79 or 80 where the carrier goes back to the days prior to Pearl Harbor being attacked? They did it right. They showed the carrier going back the first time, the one guy was left, and he showes up having aged from that point to the modern age while his younger self was just starting the beginning of the forty year cycle. He didn't exist as his young self in the future it was like a plane doing a loop, he will forever be in that loop until the carrier returns and then the old guy is himself without worrying about encountering his young self who is growing up during the period the guy is aging. I wonder why they don't show that movie? Trivia, they used real Navy guys when filming which was a thrill for all of us in the USN at the time.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Here is one for ya....

In back to the future.... Marty goes back in time and changes his future. He does. When he returns he witnesses himself go back in time in the Delorean.

However... the Marty that left the second time... was a different Marty who enjoyed a better lifestyle than the first Marty. When he went back in time he'd have a different way of seeing things and would behave differently. Whatever he did would alter the newly revised future that the first Marty altered and things would be different yet again.

In theory its an infinite loop. One Marty returns early to warn Doc Easton and watches another Marty going back in time to alter things once again.

Will it ever end????

Best,

Tim

Day 4
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3392 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:

On 2008-03-04 00:34, MagicSanta wrote:
Remember that movie from around 79 or 80 where the carrier goes back to the days prior to Pearl Harbor being attacked?

"Final Countdown"
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I thought it was "The Philadelphia Experiment".
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26994 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
I'm watching the Sara Conner Chronicles, the Terminator TV series....how is it he knocked her up the first time so that John would exist and go through the circumstances to become the resistance leader and send the guy back to protect his mother? There had to be a first time but it is implied that John came before conception. I know some of you know the answer, I'm just wondering.....

Have a look in Robert Heinlien's short story "All you Zombies" - it's all explained there.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I think that happpened to me once, but I'm not sure, because I might not really be here yet... sort of... maybe...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Actually I kind of like the latest explanation of the nature of time from Doctor Who, that time is just this "big mass of squiggly-wiggly, wibbly-wobbly time-wimey...stuff" Guess that's Gallifreyan technical jargon though.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3392 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2008-03-04 05:28, stoneunhinged wrote:
I thought it was "The Philadelphia Experiment".

If memory serves me, "The Philadelphia Experiment" was about the WWII Navy experimenting with making ships invisible, subsequently creating an accidental dimensional crack which transported a couple of sailors forward in time.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
MagicSanta...find a copy of the book "Final Countdown"...it's a crackerjack! Especially when the dog fight occurs between the modern Navy jets and the old Mitsubishi Zeros. Also your brain will come up with the better special effects needed that the film didn't have a budget for. Good movie...excellent book...winner winner winner!

If I remember correctly the book was written and ENHANCED from the original screenplay. I would love to see this remade with todays tech departments.
Higley's Doug's Museum
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Well, your memory serves.

Obviously I can't keep all those stories about the Navy and time travel separate.

Jeff
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2107 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I watched the first episode other night. :S Not sure if I like it. Not as good as I thought it would be. I want dexter, 24 and more back on!
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-03-04 19:02, Rupert Bair wrote:
I watched the first episode other night. :S Not sure if I like it. Not as good as I thought it would be. I want dexter, 24 and more back on!

I watched the first few. It looked promising but got repetitive real quick. I'm hoping for #4 in the theaters. I'm one of the few that liked the ending of the last one and how it was the quiet before the storm.

Best,

Tim

Day 4
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
461 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Quote:

...So, are you saying that the guy that comes back through time, does so just to knock up Sara Conner...because he knows he can?
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Holy smoke Mark just brought up something I never thought of.... John may have known that the guy was going to knock up his mother so that is why he sent him back so he was basically pimpin' his mom out!
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
This is interesting:

You built a time machine so you could go back in time to kill Hitler while he's still young. You go back, you kill Hitler.

Now, Hitler is dead - WWII never happened - you had no reason to build a time machine - you never did - you never went back in time - you never killed Hitler - Hitler lived - WWII occurred - you where born and built a time machine to kill Hitler and prevent WWII - and we repeat.

To the original issue:
Since John sent the guy back in time, the whole thing falls apart. Here's why:
Since John sets up the events that allow for his own birth, he would need to exist independently of his birth. If John lived in the future, he would have needed to be born in the past - if he was born in the past, then he never needed to send his father back in time (since he had already been born).

The cardinal rule of time travel is that it's impossible to do anything that has an effect on your own existence. Simply: You aren't capable of killing your father before you're born - these limitations on free will are largely why I doubt time travel will ever occur since it requires contradiction by nature.

Interesting note: If I went back in time and killed Hitler, I would cease to exist. My grandparents met as a direct result of WWII, so killing Hitler would prevent them from meeting - hence erasing me from history.

Interesting stuff.

Day 5
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2699 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-03-04 23:43, MagicSanta wrote:
Holy smoke Mark just brought up something I never thought of.... John may have known that the guy was going to knock up his mother so that is why he sent him back so he was basically pimpin' his mom out!

In the book for Terminator II, after he sends the guy back, John says to someone nearby; "He's going to be my father, then he's going to die." It's a sad moment.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Where did John come from? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL