The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Where did John come from? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Not sure who will see this post, since the thread seemed to die a few months ago. You can blame Tim for not bringing it to my attention earlier in another thread. Anyway, I've always loved Time Travel stories. Everything from A Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court to Back to the Future. One I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is A Sound of Thunder by Ray Bradbury. For those of you who have seen the movie The Butterfly Effect, this is where the theory comes from. I read this in 8th grade and it's really one of those awakening HOLY SH*T type of moments.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-03-03 23:52, MagicSanta wrote:
I'm watching the Sara Conner Chronicles, the Terminator TV series. I've only seen the first two movies once so tolerate my lack of name knowledge. In the movies that fellow comes back to protect Sara because she is going to have a son named John who goes on to lead some resistance in the future and he sends the guy back to protect his mother. The guy knocks up Sara and low and behold he is the father of John. Okay, here is my problem. If the fellow from the future is the father of John and was sent back to protect Sara, who he knocked up, how is it he knocked her up the first time so that John would exist and go through the circumstances to become the resistance leader and send the guy back to protect his mother? There had to be a first time but it is implied that John came before conception. I know some of you know the answer, I'm just wondering.....

Futurama runs into this same question when Fry and Co. go back to Roswell and Fry knocks up his grandmother- the commentary track with Matt Groenning and the writers and directors explaining (and not explaining) this is worth the price of admission alone!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
ON YOUR FEET SOLDIER!!

That always made me laugh for some reason (deleted scene).
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Oh no not this thread again. It makes my brain bleed.

I'll take it off track. Anyone read the Stephen Fry novel were they send someone back in time to kill Hitler?
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Dr Suess created a Grinchy character who existed in a world of Whos. Works for me 'cause the writer said it did...otherwise why read it?

Time Travel of anykind and paradox or not works however the writer says it works.

because it really doesn't work!

You or I will NEVER be affected by it one way or the other and if we are we will not be involved in the technical aspects...

So whatever the writer says...

If ERB say's John Carter woke up on Barsoom...then he did...and maybe I can too.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Hitler's been killed so many times in fiction I'm amazed he finds it possible to exist at all in history.

Maybe Thursday Next has the answer?
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Where did John come from? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL