The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Thread Work (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dazzler
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of dazzler
Hi

I would like to learn about Invisible Thread and how to use it. I know nothing at the moment and would be very grateful for recommendations of DVDs or Books that would teach me all that I need to know.
I know that Michael Ammar has a 3 set DVD series out, and I have also seen a DVD and book advertised by someone that I have not seen called John LeClair. I would really appreciate advise on which of these would be most beneficial to me or any other recommendations.
Oh, and I did see a booklet called the Flying Silk Levitation by Chris Brent, but this is all I am aware of.

Many Thanks,

Darrell
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
When asking myself the very same question recently, I found the following threads useful:
(click on the links to go directly to the relevant thread)

Best "IT" DVD?

Ammar - Thread Miracles

"Who's Afraid of the Invisible Thread?"......houghts?

Ammar vs. LeClair vs. Losander vs. Maxwell

Which effects to learn first with invisible thread?

New to Invisible Thread

How to start learning IT?

I'd suggest you begin your search by checking out these discussions on the topic. Happy reading!
dazzler
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of dazzler
Thanks, Topov, for replying. It looks like you have saved me lots of time and made it very easy for me.

Thanks
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
I'm glad to have been of help. Note that two of the above threads are in the "Threads, reels and anchors" forum, which you'll be able to access when you've made 50 legitimate posts. When you do get access to that forum, you might also want to check this thread: IT

I also missed including this one in my earlier post: Starting with IT magic
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
If money is tight for you, "Who's Afraid of Invisible Thread" is a good buy. Then you only spend money for one DVD, but you will learn a lot and have some nice routines. But if you have the cash, then the "Easy to Master Thread Miracles, Vol. 1-3" are the way to go. Ammar talks about virtually everything, nothing is left out.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I agree with the above post. If you have the money, Ammar's 3 DVD set leaves nothing out. Even if you start off with 1 volume and get the others as money permits, these offer a great deal of invaluable information.
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
I got a lot of thread, Ammar's 3 DVD set, and 2 ITR's and am having a blast with it. I tried some loops but they break too easy for me. I just love the effect, and it is a branch of magic that the practice payoff comes faster for me. This is a good acting exercise mixed with a bit of expressive dance.
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
I would invest in some loops by Yigal Mesika, they do tend to break a lot at first but once you get a feel for what they can and cannot do, there great.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
Ian Davis12
View Profile
New user
U.S.
17 Posts

Profile of Ian Davis12
I started doing thread work maybe a year ago and I found Justin Miller's Loops dvd very helpful although that almeans buying Yigal Mesika's loops which are expensive for 5 loops.
Vaei
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Vaei
If you're looking to use elastics, consider Infinity Thread. It's a monster big reel (~10" diameter reel, there must be miles in there), which let you make mistakes without being very costly. Being economic also make Justin Miller's Cloak hook-ups more practical. With InfThread, you can also tie your own loops - to tie something that's practically invisible does take abit of a knack though! Smile

The downside to thread work, I've been finding, is that they're fairly lighting sensitive. With loops, they're also fairly break-prone as well.
Mad Mage
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Mad Mage
If you are going to use loops a lot, get the million dollar knot from Peguin Magic
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=855 It costs $20, but you also get Thread with it. I'm not sure if wax comes with it, but you'll need that too. You'll learn how to make your own loops and save $$$$.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
I believe it comes with wax. What makes it a good deal is, that PET2.0 sells for $19.95 by itself, so since "Million Dollar Knot" goes for $19.95 and comes with PET2.0, you basically get the ID for free. And a spool of PET gives you enough to make 300 + loops.

From the ad. "One spool of thread and block of wax, included with your order, will allow you to tie about 400 invisible elastic loops."

Just wanted to thank the OP, I have been wanting to get into Thread Work but didn't know where to start, I'll be getting Ammar's 3 DVD's LeClair's DVD, and Million Dollar Knot. Smile
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
MattSconce
View Profile
Special user
654 Posts

Profile of MattSconce
I love Loops and the effects that be performed with them. I have not used basic IT very much.
MattSconce
View Profile
Special user
654 Posts

Profile of MattSconce
I love Loops and the effects that be performed with them. I have not used basic IT very much.
Giacomo Moretti
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Giacomo Moretti
Quote:
On 2008-05-02 19:48, jinx8107 wrote:
I would invest in some loops by Yigal Mesika, they do tend to break a lot at first but once you get a feel for what they can and cannot do, there great.

Loops are among my favorite tools. I always have them with me and am able to perform incredible tricks totally impromptu and undetactable. Loops are so invisible that I can hardly see them although I am performing with them. For anybody who has never worked with them they are 100% invisible. Especially in lighting conditions you find in restaurants, bars and the like.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
We sell a ton of loops at our online store and many customers ask what are the good videos and books for thread work...

I suggest anything by Justin Miller - the man is brilliant. His DVD the Cloak as mentioned above is a great hookup method.

Also, for anyone working with Loops, the defacto DVD set LOOPS by Mesika is a must have.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Glen
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Glen
I started out with just thread as in John LeClare's method, then progressed to reels. I've made jaws drop to the floor many times floating paper roses in restaurants and bars. When they desintegrate in a blinding flash and turn into a real rose people lose it. I just received a Spider Pen. Haven't put it to work yet but am anxious to soon. Now I hear about Omega reels and might have to have one of those too. Any way....thread work is great go for it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Thread Work (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL