The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Rabbit from hat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Hello all,

I'm trying to track down as much info about this old trick, seldom seen performed today...
Any infos, book references, links to essays is welcome!!
Thanks,
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
I don't know the history but heres how its done = http://www.mallusionist.com/stage/rabbithat.shtml
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
Very good magicwatcher2005. I love that site, it cracks me up every times.

lawrens, I do believe that the book Modern Magic by Prof. Hoffmann has this in it. It also has ways to produce many other things from a hat as well. I'm actually not sure if it is Modern Magic, More Magic or Later Magic. I read them all at around the same time, and have now forgot which book that was in. =/

You can find them in E-book format on Library.com, or try your local library.

There are also some DVD's about this, but I couldn't tell you which ones, as I am trying to find them myself. =)

Hope this helped a little bit anyway,
Danton

Day 6
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Thanks a lot , guys...

You know what strikes me is that most of the time, people refer to this trick as being the archetype of magic. I talk by experience, having heard several times this reference.
It's incredible because this effect is very very seldom seen nowadays...
This fact seems to belong to the unconscious mind, at least here in france...

I would love to ear if this reference to hat/rabbit exists in your country, wherever you live ?
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I know a friend who used to do it but I my lifetime I have NEVER seen it happen.

Yes.. of course on television used in the standard "image" the magician is portrayed as but that's all.. never live.

Best,

Tim

Day 6
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
The first time it appears in print is "The Humorous Magician Unmasked" by Engstrom. I think the date is 1834.

And look here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=130
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Some of us still do it. The classic "Rabbit in Top Hat" is a highlight -- usually the closer -- of my "MAGICADABRA" magic show for children and families. I use the classic method (i.e. no silly boxes, tubes, square circle, etc.) just a collapsible black top hat -- the fact that the hat is collapsed when it is introduced provides the visual (but unspoken) proof that it is empty. The hat is opened with a simple 'flick' and 'magic rabbit powder' sprinkled into the hat from a 'kitchen size' (about 2" round x 4" tall) shaker. Immediately reaching into the hat I produce an egg, 6 colored silks one at a time, then a can of Campbell's Pork and Beans. The hat is then shown to be empty, passed quickly under the silks and the rabbit appears -- completely filling the hat and posing with it's front paws resting on the brim. If the situation permits (and with adult supervision), the hat and rabbit are placed on the apron of the stage and the children invited to approach the stage, form a line and pet the rabbit (while I exit the stage and pack up my props). My rabbit will sit quietly in the hat -- for up to several hours if necessary.
Dick Christian
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I remember Dan McDonald doing at a Ring banquet 25 years ago. Also seeing Blackstone and Paul Daniels do it. Marc Gilday also does it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Lawrens,

I realize that you're looking more for information on the history of the effect rather than how to do it , but here are a few things I have in my notes:

Tarbell has it in Vol. 3

Alan Shaxon has a good practical method. I think it's in one of his books or lecture notes. (sorry I don't know the title of the lecture ntoes ... probably in the book "My Kind of Magic" by Alan Shaxon)

Shaxon's handling is similar to Billy McComb's. Billy's is still in the archives on the old Steven's Magics GEMINI site: http://www.stevensmagic.com/gemini/

http://www.stevensmagic.com/gemini/Billy......tion.htm

Although now it appears to be just the print description of the effect. I recall seeing this with illustrations, but perhaps I'm thinking of something that was in one of Billy's books ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Rabbit from hat (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL