The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » How to take a Sharpie apart? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
Does anyone know of method to take a Sharpie marker apart? I have something I want to do on the inside of one but I'm not sure how I can get it open without breaking the plastic. Any ideas would greatly appreciated, Thanks, Chuck
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I'd try twisting it and pulling it apart. There will be some type of adhesive to hold the halves together, but I doubt it would be too strong to keep you from breaking the seal.

Be careful! It's permanent ink. You might want to try this outside, just in case. Also, if you break the plastic, they are cheap enough to throw away and say to yourself..."Well, that didn't work!"

Good luck.

Mark.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Quote:
Also, if you break the plastic, they are cheap enough to throw away and say to yourself..."Well, that didn't work!"

Good luck.

Mark.

Now, that was funny!!

Bill
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
I was thinking along the lines of some sort of solvent, but so far paint thinner is not working.
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
To get the tip off, I have found that I can twist rather hard to "break" whatever seals it to the tube, and then it comes out easily, along with the inked thing inside. Not too messy with a paper towel handy.
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Yep. You should be able to do something like this:

1 - Take off cap.
2 - Get paper towel.
3 - Hold barrel in one hand, hold writing end with paper towel in other hand.
4 - Pull really hard.

Shouldn't be too much of an issue. Good luck!
Kevin Reylek
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
OK I'll try it on a different marker, the particular one I have is very well attached, I'll try another. Thanks.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ask KyletheGreat here on The Café.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Try stomping on it.

Jim
Artist formerly known as Timotheous
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Artist formerly known as Timotheous
That's funny Jim...

I tried to pull one apart with a paper towel and it was really stuck. But when I grabbed the grey barrell and placed my thumb on the colored side and gave it some pressure it worked it's way apart pretty easily. Just spin it and apply pressure. I didn't see any adhesive.

Later
Tim
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Get a good grip on the black tip end with a pair of pliers Assuming a black sharpie). Protect the tip housing from any scratching by first wrapping in with a piece of t-shirt cloth. Now firmly but slowly start bending and pulling it back and forth. The only thing keeping it secure are a series of ridges that you have to overcome. It will very quickly pop right out along with the ink stick/well.

You can now remove the ink/stick well and insert a different colored inkwell from another red sharpie that you did the same to and recap the tip housing.

Start drawing random lines on a clean piece of paper until the ink from the original color bleeds out and the new color bleeds in. This will take about 10 minutes of doodling.

You now have a black sharpie that writes red.

I've been changing the color of the ink in sharpies for a long time. It's one of my best tools in some of my mentalism routines. If you own UNBELIEVABLE then you'll see in the instructions that this method is a whole lot better than the one recommended in order to change the color of the ink.

peace, charlie
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
Thanks, guys, I knew this was the place to get the answer!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I would just switch caps.
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Quote:
On 2008-03-08 19:58, MagicSanta wrote:
I would just switch caps.

Not a good idea with sharpies.
The ink tip housing is usually the color of the ink.

peace, charlie
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
This months issue of Make magazine shows you how to take apart a Sharpie so you make a telekinetic pen.
It also shows how to build a lot different tricks as well and gives away some patents on illusions.

Barnes and Noble or Borders has it in stock $14.95.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
I took a look at Make Magazine in Barnes and Nobles, they give away the Change Bag, Fire from Palm, Cobra Sharpie,even David Copperfields Flying Illusion(not in great detail)and many other magic effects were disclosed including how to make them yourself.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Chain Saw.

OOps!!
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey: Exit 15 E
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
From the Ernst Blofeld School of Magic: High intensity laser beam. Smile
Lentidigitator: “A magic artist who performs slow motion magic”... Rene Lavand

"Peace and all good"... St. Francis

"Hold on to your joy!"... Me Smile

http://mysite.verizon.net/hearttau/
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Charlie,

Many thanks for your post about changing the ink cartridges! I've been trying to get that done for a while!

Stay safe,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Here's a little gem...

Remove the tip from the sharpie.
Remove the ink cartridge and throw it away
Let the tip dry out.
Coat the tip with super glue after it's dry to ensure it will never write again
Take a playing card and roll it length wise...stick it inside the marker and replace the tip.

When I'm at my restaurants, I open every table with my 2 cup routine. I use the sharpie as my "wand". It's out on the table the entire time. Later in my set, I hae a card selected (force the duplicate card of the one that's IN the sharpie). Lost back in the deck.

Hot Shot Cut spring their card out of the deck. Flip it over...but it's a blank card. NOT TO WORRY...here, take the marker and write the name of your card on the blank card. They can't. The marker must be out of ink? Pull it apart to reveal their card inside.

I usually END the set with that one...I will usually have about 10 of these cards rolled up in my jacket pocket so it takes nothing to grab one, load the pen, tip it, cap and on I go to the next table.

Enjoy!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » How to take a Sharpie apart? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL