The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Handling "Let me see that -----" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I know that in many cases we can switch out items and show a fully functional/ungimmicked Widget...

However, what about those props that cannot be switched out or shown and someone asks, "Oh yeah, let me see that whatchamacallit!!!!"
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Just smile and say, "Wait a minute and I'll show it to you." Then, move on to your next effect.

Jim
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Assuming it's a fairly reasonable adult who's just "messing with you", maybe you could try having some fun with them.

Have available some kind of "magician's release" they must sign. So you pull this piece of paper out of your back pocket and unfold it - in my mind, it's several pages of continuous feed printer paper still connected, so you unfold it to show one page. Tell them they must sign this, certifying they will never release the secrets they are about to see. Then, you let the other pages drop and explain to them that, should they ever tell anything, THIS section gives you all rights to their property, bank accounts, cars and retirement funds; restricts them to a diet of raw lima beans, uncooked oatmeal, and prune juice; gives you the right choose their clothing style; etc. and so forth.

"Sign here, please." Thrust the paper in front of their face and let go - they will probably grab it. As you reach in your pocket for a pen, ditch the item. You don't have a pen? They don't have a pen? No problem - you take the paper back and go into your next trick. If they remember what they asked you for, look at them like they are crazy - "What are you talking about?"

I've never tried this, but I just might have this handy next time! It sounds like fun!

Ed
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
"You show me yours, and I'll show you mine!"
This has worked for me in the past, and can be taken in different ways in different crowds, but I wouldn't use it all the time. It must be used in the right situations. There are some people who see an odd coin, for example, and simply want to examine it. In those situations, if it can't be examined, I'd simply say it's rare and I'd rather nothing inadvertent happen to it. If I can show it to them, i.e. I'm still holding it, I will.
On the other hand, there are those who are being "smart" and trying to catch you out. In those cases, you need to show you're still in control. That's when I use the above line. It says, "I see what you're trying to do, and it's not going to work," in a humorous manner. If they still press, I stop performing. If they think they've won, so be it; but I won't perform for someone who thinks they're clever enough to show me up. And if others were enjoying your magic, they won't care for him/her very much.
There are ways to prevent such questions, too. If you're doing, say, a coins across with fifty cent pieces, you may start by handing one or two out and saying, "Many people haven't seen these before. They are fifty cent pieces. Who do you see on the heads side? And what do you see on the tails side? Right, an eagle. And that eagle means these can fly...."
You can then have the coins returned while adding a certain something, if you're using one, in the process. Or if you're doing a card trick, you may have someone shuffle the deck first. These are just two ways that subtly let the audience know you have nothing to hide without being overt about it.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Just say "NO!" to examination!!!

I have used the following for over 35 years, and it has worked almost perfectly.

When asked if they can "see" a prop, I first look scandalized, then chagrined, and then, putting the item away, I say, "No, I'm sorry. It's a trick." That's it.

The way this generally goes is thus:

"Can I see your gadget," the befuddled audience member asks?

"No, sorry, you can't," you reply with a somewhat uncomfortable tingle at the back of your neck.

"WELL!!! Then, it's a trick," the other replies with a note of triumph!

"Er, well, yeah....," you lamely come back.

Forget all that. Just cut to the chase and get it over with. "No, you can't SEE it...it's a trick!"

This one phrase simply cuts them off at the knees. They have nowhere to go except to become prattling jerks or obsequious toadies begging you to show them the "secret thingy".

This really does work. It's simple, direct, and frankly, if you do it with a little style, folks will "get it" and just drop it.

Look, as proven over and over and over again on these forums...most magicians are totally freaked out that anyone might really try and get folks to "believe" that they are actually doing something via "real" magic. Well, folks, if it ain't real, then it's a TRICK! Call it what is, and avoid the hassle of arguing with folks.

Be well. Go forth and fool 'em,
Brad Burt
Yola Sol
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
51 Posts

Profile of Yola Sol
I haven't figured out a fool proof way to say no, but it's easy when you use sponge balls. I just tell people that it really upsets them because they are scared of strangers. Then, I do a colour switch. "See, they're all confused now!"

Now I think about it, that's just another way to "say no and show them another effect". Smile
On the road of life, don't forget to stop and eat the roses
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
This very problem is why a lot of magicians try to get away from the widgets and start practicing magic that can be done with everyday items. These take more practice than tricks where the widgets do all the work for you, but it's worth the time investment. You learn a lot more along the way, and everything is totally examinable. For those effects that simply must use a gimmick, you've already received a lot of good advice.

Until we appear again,
Kipp Sherry

Day 6
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I think Brad's got the best answer yet! After all, it is just a trick, and we're creating a small bit of entertainment for their enjoyment. If they can't handle that...well...

Thanks, Brad. Smile

Mark.
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of 0045
I follow Kipp's train of thought and mainly do stuff that is totally ungimmicked. Having said that, I do occasionally use gimmicked cards or setups that cannot be examined.

I have found that by analyzing a gimmicked or setup effect, it is often quite easy to predict when the "Can I look at those/that?" question will come. I then modify my performance to enable a switch before it as asked. I still try to discourage any examination if at all possible.

I also steer well clear of any effect that does not give me the opportunity to do so.

Regards,
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Brad made a great comment - I use the same tactic, and it always works.

Let me add that I reduce the possibility to encounter this situation by putting the props away right after the climax and applause, whilst taking out the new props for the next trick.

Out of sight, out of mind . . . in most cases.

I have also encountered specs who came to me after a performance and demanded to see the props. The answer is simple - "SORRY."
Cards never lie
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
I have used this and it works. Say: I only show it to someone who wishes to purchase it. Then quote a ridiculous price and ask if they want it.

Example:

Invisible deck....

Let me see those cards.

I only show people items they wish to purchase. Do you wish to purchase this deck cards now? They are $50?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
356 Posts

Profile of Loopback
Thanks Brad for the great advice!
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
Haha, I love the "you show me yours". Tell them to show you a trick and then they can see yours. I actually try and have another trick to move on to and say "Well let me show you this one first" Of course they can keep asking but usually after two or three they stop.

I also love the Magician's release form, I might have to start carrying one of those in my pocket. Even just one sheet of paper with a super small font that completely covers the page would be good.
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
Montgomery Village, Maryland
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
I like yours acesover! People are often familiar with the rules of a standard magic shop so extending them to your act will probably sound reasonable to people.

Do any of you have favorite "explanations" about how you did something? Something to the tune of "no they're not trick cards, I just make use of the drag-coefficient inverse to the weight of the 52 cards." I know it isn't appropriate for a serious performance, but if I'm in a comfortable atmosphere and somebody asks a question, I like to have something entertaining to say...
Visit my blog: ScienceIsMagic.com
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
I almost always immeadiately pocket whatever trick I just showed, so if it comes up, it is easy to switch out gimmicked items. Always pre-plan your performance to eliminate awkward show-me-moments. If thought out your performance can be amazing and remember every trick is not applicable for every situation, do the ones that will go over best for the moment even if it's maybe not the one you we're hoping to do.

Brian
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
The trick is not to get into such a situation
Cards never lie
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
For a couple of rope tricks I use, when asked by children to let them try the trick and I feel like letting them have a go [I'm not talking about always letting this happen] I let them go to it, but usually set it up for them so it won't work. For example, on Cut and Restored Rope, I let them take the rope, fold it in half [at this stage they have started wrongly], cut the rope in the centre and tie it together. Of course, the knot just stays there! Of course, the rope usually is so short it needs replacing, but my rope is cheap and I take extra prepared legths. But, overall, its best to just refuse a person's call to examine the trick material by moving on to the next trick.
The presentation makes the magic.
C.W.G.
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of C.W.G.
I once asked Marc Oberon about this and his answer was something like "I give the impression I'm a nice guy... But I also subtly let them know don't f*** with me and everything will be ok".

Plus, does a musician give out his instrament after performing a mind blowing piece of music, just so the audience can see what notes he played? Of course not, the next time somebody says it to you just look at them for a few seconds in a kind of "are you for real manner" and then move swiftly on without verbally replying to them, and that will make them feel uneasy while sending out the message to the rest of the crowd that the same will happen to them if they try to disrupt your flow.

If you REALLY want to unsettle that spectator (I got this from some NLP book) stare at them right BETWEEN the eyes with out saying a thing (with the same "are you for real expression"), it unsettles them to no end the longer you do it.

It's a good method of crowd control and works.... Of course if your dealing with a big fat hairy biker dude.... Be a polite magician and that way you'll keep your knee caps.
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
of magic in Jacksonville, FL
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
I read this on another forum and thought it might work (slightly modified) in this situation:

Person insists on seeing gimmick. I say I'll make a bet with you. If you win, you can see the item, if I win, you can't. Fair? The bet is this: I bet if you close your eyes, I can make you open them without touching you. Wanna try it? If they agree, countdown 3, 2, 1 and right as they close their eyes say "NOT LIKE THAT!!!!" really loudly. I've heard it works every time because it startles them. You win AND everyone gets a laugh.

If this is a dumb idea - it wasn't mine to begin with. LOL. Smile
dragee
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of dragee
Quote:
On 2008-05-08 00:21, whitjm5 wrote:
I read this on another forum and thought it might work (slightly modified) in this situation:

Person insists on seeing gimmick. I say I'll make a bet with you. If you win, you can see the item, if I win, you can't. Fair? The bet is this: I bet if you close your eyes, I can make you open them without touching you. Wanna try it? If they agree, countdown 3, 2, 1 and right as they close their eyes say "NOT LIKE THAT!!!!" really loudly. I've heard it works every time because it startles them. You win AND everyone gets a laugh.

If this is a dumb idea - it wasn't mine to begin with. LOL. Smile

Quite a nice idea.I am going to try it next time!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Handling "Let me see that -----" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL