The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » What would an American think? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hello to all my friends south of the border. I have a question regarding sensibilities.

Each year, Pat and I have to create a totally new 90 minute family show for our summer resort run. Many of the resorts in northern Ontario where we perform have American guests.

I was wondering if a Canadian doing the mismade flag routine, with the American Flag, might be seen as offensive to an American.

Your input and comments are invited.

Thanks,

Rob
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
I'm not a sure, but being an American myself, they probably wouldn't know you wern't American.
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Rob
I don't see of any reason an American would find Mismade flag offensive. I use it as a patriotic routine. You should not have any problem as long as the flag is treated with respect. I once let the it fall on the floor and had forty Boy Scouts yelling and pointing. Now I make sure it is securely hung before I move on with my program.
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Thank you both for your input Cody and Chris.

I'm concerned because these shows are in Canada and I am a Canadian and I did not want to do anything to upset the guests of the resorts where I perform. I plan on doing a fun routine that would not be disrespectful to the flag or America. I am just trying to get a handle on whether or not an American might take offense to a foreigner doing something odd with their flag.

Thanks,

Rob
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Rob:

I also don't see anything wrong with it, especially if you make the flag correctly at the end.

Ron
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
You could say, In honor and with respect to our American guests I would now like to magically make an American Flag" Then when you get it mixed up you could work the comedy angle to your advantage by pretending not to know that its mixed up. Just don't say, "Those Americans, their so mixed up anyway" or "those Americans they're always bombing somebody" Smile

I don't see anything wrong with it. Have fun with one of my all time favorite routines!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Rob,

Respecting the national flag of another is hardly a put down for those who do salute that flag. (I have a Union Jack for friends overseas.)

The main thing I would like to point out is the same as I do in my silk lectures. Once it is considered a flag, it is no longer just a magic prop. Treat with the respect as you would the flag on stage.

Thanks for asking. But you have nothing to fear.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Thank you all for your input.

I will be putting this into our summer repertoire.

Rob.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » What would an American think? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL