The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Hypno Aces by David Penn (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1130 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Yes it’s all true. Not only is this simple and easy to do, this is a super potent close up worker’s gem. It will no doubt draw comparisons with NFW however I feel this has a much more interesting plot to a lay person and the routine structure is significantly different.

Themed around psuedo hypnosis, this is a fun routine for people to experience. The strength of the magical outcome is sure to get them wondering just for a moment or more whether it truly was some kind of hypnosis.

The whole premise really goes over well in performance and the reactions show genuine amazement expressed in no uncertain terms by the guy watching. Those kind of reactions only come from great magic and I believe this effect would bring that kind of response regularly!

The teaching segment is excellent. Clear and thorough as well as being concise. The performance and patter given are great. It is an easy effect to learn mechanically, for me it will be worthwhile investing time into writing a solid personal script that goes with the overall plot of hypnosis. Using a good dose of suggestion and other pseudo hypnosis tricks with this could really be take it to the edge and create quite a different connotation.

Part of the strength of the effect is it’s timing of the magical moment. The opening sequence gives people just enough time to accept and ponder the plot. Just as they are still gaining interest, they are suddenly stunned by a monster moment of magic. Also, the effect is very hands on for them, this is always a great way to make the cards innocent in their mind. The handling can be done so freely, the sudden change by every card just seems impossible to them. This effect is a great way to open a set!

It was convenient to have the cards supplied in blue bikes. If you use two matching decks, at the end of the effect you could place the Aces back into your deck suggesting that they are just your regular Aces. You place this deck away and later on come out with your other deck to do an Ace effect further deepening the hypno effect in a subtle way.

I really like this (in case you can’t guess) and would happily recommend it for magicians of all skill levels as it is easy to do, has excellent magical content and is pure fun!

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of jimesw
It's basically Richard Sander's 10 trick with different cards.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I liked the presentation.
Video clip here:
http://penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=10088
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Looks a lot like NFW with obvious gimmicked (not normal looking) cards. "Here are a few Bicycle cards with little hypnosis graphics on them". This simply turns the whole concept into gimmicky packet trick!
Ethan
View Profile
Regular user
UK
142 Posts

Profile of Ethan
It's interesting how the same change to one person is a disadvantage and to another is an advantage. I don't agree that the fact the card has a strange optical illusion type of design suggests in any way that the card is gimmicked. Further the design of that card and the way it is used in presentation adds a lot to the power of this effect. So for you it is weaker because of the design on the cards for me it is stronger and I believe for my specs too.
andymagic70
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of andymagic70
I got this free when I purchased Coinvexed from David at Blackpool.

I performed it for the first time last night at one of my restaurant gigs and it went down a storm.

I'll be picking up some spare sets of this as I'll certainly wear these out!

Maybe someone from World Magic Shop could let us know if exsisting owners can buy spare sets for a discounted price?

Andy.
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
428 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
This is a terrible trick. It is badly structured and grossly overpriced. Nothing happens for most of the trick. If you have an interest in really good, eye-popping packet tricks take your $30 and invest in some quality material. Check out:

1. Focus by Phil Goldstein. Filled with great packet tricks.

2. Any packet trick by Roy Walton, but especially "Cascade" (or my modest version "Mutanz"). He has a lot of grerat packet effects in the two hardback books published by Davenport's, The Complete Roy Walton Vols. 1 & 2.

3. The Card Magic of Brother John Hamman.

$30 -- yikes!!! For a packet trick.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I won't buy it just because people still think NFW is an original routine and compare things to it. Focus, by the way, is brilliant, Waltons material and Hammans is also great.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Focus is one of my favorite books. Probably in my top five.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hijack! Speaking of Focus it has a great index on sleights with cards and the ones in the book are very well described.
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of MSD921
Wow Bob Farmer........."This is a terrible trick"....A bit harsh?........Perhaps in your opinion, and the opinion of others, it is a terrible trick but it may have value to some. I agree that $30.00 is pricey for one trick. With any research, one can get this for closer to $20. You mention that nothing happens for most of the trick. First, it doesn't appear to be a very long routine. Second, the strength of the trick, to me, is that the resulting aces become a surprising and powerful climax after the spectator is lulled and must start wondering what is about to happen.

The books you mention are great as is the Cascade, and the plug for yours. In my opinion, Hypno Aces probably is a good routine for many. (I'm not involved with the effect in any way).

Thanks,
Mike
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
428 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
Mike:

I agree that the EFFECT is very good -- four duplicate cards transform into four aces. This is a classic packet EFFECT and there are many versions. My criticism was to the method and the price. Why pay $30 for a bad method, when you can do exactly the same effect with a better method for a few pennies. In fact, there is a method for this effect where no gaffed cards are used, you end clean and everything can be examined.

My opinion on the trick is an informed and considered opinion, informed by years of studying, creating and performing packet tricks. I didn't make a snap judgment. It's a terrible version of this trick.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2008-04-04 11:28, Bob Farmer wrote:
Mike:

I agree that the EFFECT is very good -- four duplicate cards transform into four aces. This is a classic packet EFFECT and there are many versions. My criticism was to the method and the price. Why pay $30 for a bad method, when you can do exactly the same effect with a better method for a few pennies. In fact, there is a method for this effect where no gaffed cards are used, you end clean and everything can be examined.

My opinion on the trick is an informed and considered opinion, informed by years of studying, creating and performing packet tricks. I didn't make a snap judgment. It's a terrible version of this trick.

I agree with you that the effect is great. Also what you have failed to mention is that the presentational aspect of Hypno Cards is also great. It really gives a reason for four cards changing into four others. What I disagree with is that you think the method is bad. For magicians that are well read there are indeed versions of this plot that do not require gaffs and have several other advantages. However not all magicians are at the same level in terms of ability. There are many performers out there that want to impress without having to spend years researching every single sleight known to man. I know a magician - a pro who is very busy and highly regarded by his audiences. However, he does not really know any sleight of hand with cards instead he spends hours working on presentation, looking natural, comedy, persona, audience management and a million other things that magician must know but a lot of people don't bother with. He performs this effect all the time as it means he can concentrate on other things more important TO HIM instead of the actual technical side.

Just because there are methods of accomplishing the same effect out there does not mean that this method has no place in the magical world.

Craig
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
428 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
Craig:

The method I had in mind does not require any difficult sleights at all (just the usal packet sleights). My comments are not to the presentation -- I agree with you that a good method with a bad presentation will not be as effective as it could be. However, a bad method, with any presentation, is still a lousy trick because it is not decepetive or convincing.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2008-04-04 15:06, Bob Farmer wrote:
Craig:

The method I had in mind does not require any difficult sleights at all (just the usal packet sleights). My comments are not to the presentation -- I agree with you that a good method with a bad presentation will not be as effective as it could be. However, a bad method, with any presentation, is still a lousy trick because it is not decepetive or convincing.

I agree with you Bob, but where I disagree s that this particular effect has a bad method. The method is perfectly good and having seen David perform this at Blackpool numerous times nobody ever thinks to want to examine the cards due to the presentation he has designed. The way the method is structured audiences really do feel theey have seen every single card one at a time before the change (which really knocks peoples socks off). As I say I think it is a perfectly good trick and one which I would recomend to any performer.

Craig
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I like the cool hypno circles. That is basically what you are paying for.
You could do it walk around after a show if you do the "Growing and Shrinking head Illusion"!
As far as compared to NFW. I currently do that every day in my paid corporate (walk around)shows.
I think this would be good as a repeat for another group, and some of the same people sneak up to see me again!

ACE
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Does anyone know if this comes in red back bikes?

thanks

ace
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Found them!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Hypno Aces by David Penn (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL