The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Aldo Colombini's "Packet Trick Picks" DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6967 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
This is Aldo's newest dvd. It's also the first dvd I've seen from his new $10 dvd line (for those who don't know, everything on Aldo's site from tricks to books to dvds is $10). I have to say that I am amazed he's selling this for only $10. There is some seriously good material on here!

Now, I do have a trick on this dvd so I won't comment on that but I will say that the other nine effects are wonderful. There really isn't a dog in the bunch. Some use gaffed cards and some use normal cards. All of the effects are well within the reach of the intermediate card magician. And there are a few effects that a beginner could master in no time.

The production looks fine. It's a no frills affair. But the real value is in the tricks and for $10 you seriously can't go wrong.

Here's a list of the effects:

PREDICTION GONE WILD (Cameron Francis): A great trick. A card is selected. You show four blank cards with different names of cards on them. All of a sudden all the cards have the name of the selection. At the end the selection vanishes from the deck and appears in the packet.

BOXING ACES (Aldo Colombini): An Ace-assembly that will have their jaws dropping. Four Aces vanish from packets of cards and reappear inside the card case.

GHOST FLIGHT (Peter Duffie): Eight double blank cards and four Queens are used. The Queens trapped between two blank cards vanish and reappear under a ‘cover.’ Great handling, an incredible effect.

OILS WELL THAT ENDS WELL (Stephen Tucker): A version of the classic “Oil and Queens” where at the end the four Queens vanish and leave four blank-faced cards.

TRIFLE (Aldo Colombini): Two sets of four-of-a-kind, say Kings, one blue-backed and one red-backed set. One of the four Kings is freely selected by the spectator who announces its suit. The same two Kings change place twice.

KLONDYKE CATO (Richard Vollmer): Amazing simple routine. A spectator shuffles a packet of cards and you reveal how many cards are reversed and the total of their values.

A TRICK FOR JACK PARKER (Paul Gordon): Two packets of red/black cards are used. A card is selected from one packet and it turns out to be the only reversed card. The other cards change into a Royal Flush.

RED BLUES (Karl Fulves): Great packet trick where a card is FREELY selected (say the AH) and it is seen to be the only red-backed card in the packet and the only Ace in the packet.

THE WHITECHAPEL SOLUTION (Ryan Matney): Great patter story about Jack the Ripper where the spectator finally finds the devious killer!

MINDS IN SESSION (Arthur Carter): Great principle to find a different colored card in a packet of seven that can be used for many other routines.

Available at http://www.wildcolombini.com/cart/produc......s_id=200 Should be available soon at most dealers.
scarnecky
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah
330 Posts

Profile of scarnecky
Thank you for posting this little breakdown of the effects, and I must add that the price "Ten bucks" is quite elusive, considering the material...

Scar
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Cameron, that was wonderful to lend your expertise to a review. THANK YOU!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6967 Posts

Well, I just copied and pasted the ad copy of effects so it wasn't that time consuming Smile But thanks, man. It really is a great value.
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Hey guys,

Cameron sent me a home video of the effect from this dvd. I can honestly say that I would have paid 10 dollars for that ONE single effect, so the other nine are bonus'. For 1 dollar a trick, this is probably one of the best values on the market right now.

Donny
do magic

www.8bom.net
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6967 Posts

Thanks, Donny. Smile

For those who are interested, Prediction Gone Wild is sold as a packet trick for $10 through most major magic retailers. But if you already have the necessary gaffs, the dvd is a better value.
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
I saw Aldo perform some of these Monday night and this is a great DVD (and I am very picky) and it is only $10...like all of Aldo's items.

This DVD is priceless....my favorite is Peter Duffie's "Ghost Flight", but all ten packet tricks are excellent and the production is fine. I reviewed "Ghost Flight" in the "Deckless" section of card magic on the Café.

What a deal!

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5863 Posts

Profile of motown
Peter Duffie's "Ghost Flight" is excellent and sells on it's own for $15. So this DVD is a great buy.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
nicky
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of nicky
If it`s OK to ask what type of gaffs are needed?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5863 Posts

Profile of motown
Without giving anything away, they're all common gaffed cards that you may already have or could easily get.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
The audience may examine "all" the cards in the beginning in Aldo's presentation.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
400 Posts

Profile of konjurer
I finally got around to pouring over this DVD a couple weeks ago and I have to say that for packet trick lovers, this is a gold mine. My favorite trick is Aldo's Trifle.

I reviewed it on my blog so I won't repost the whole review here but I'll repost the key pieces from my review. The entire review is here...

http://magic-yeti.blogspot.com/2009/04/d......cks.html

DVD Review: Packet Trick Picks by Aldo Colombini

I love packet tricks. So I must preface my review by admitting that I am a packet trick addict. So I decided to check out Aldo Columbini's Packet Trick Picks DVD. This may be the best $10 bucks I've ever spent - well, actually only $9.30 from Penguin Magic.

In fact, all of the tricks and DVDs from the Colombini's site are $10. Wow! Their web site has a ton of great looking material that I'm sure to order from in the future.

Marketing Fluff

There is very little marketing fluff to speak of. I learned of Colombini's "everything for $10" deals from the Magic Café.

Degree of Difficulty

Easy to intermediate. Several of these tricks are almost self-working but quite a few require false counts and displays which are taught on the DVD.

Teaching

Very good. You'll need to know the Elmsley Count; a false count that appears to show four cards while hiding the face or back of one card. Colombini does teach the Elmsley count at the beginning of the DVD. Aldo does an adequate job teaching the Elmsley and you'll manage to learn it - however there are better places to learn the Elmsley Count. He starts out teaching the Elmsley with a 5 card packet counting into his right hand - probably not the most standard Elmsley you'll ever see. I'm guessing most intermediate card slingers already have a version of the Elmsley that they are comfortable with.

Aldo also teaches the Hamman Count, the Jordan Count and his Laughing Count (which is a cool alternative to the Hamman Count).

The teaching of the tricks are superb. He credits the creator of each routine.

Quantity of Effects

Count 'em, 10 tricks! That's a buck a piece for some really strong magic.

<my description of each trick is omitted for brevity>

Quality of Effects

The quality of these effects are really strong. Because many of the packet tricks are not gimmicked, you'll add at least a couple of these gems into you working repertoire.

Production Quality

It's a fairly low-budget affair as you might expect from a $10 DVD but the video quality is crisp and clear. The menu structure is very simple. For some reason, I can't skip ahead to the next track (trick). You have to go back to the menu to advance to the next trick. The audio quality is fine except that the goofy musical track that plays during the menu is three times as loud as the narration which is annoying when you have to go back to the menu to advance.

Overall: 8/10

This DVD scores very high on value. At $10, you'll find some really good material to infuse into your walk around sets. The only down side is that you'll need to invest in some blanks and blank-backed cards in order to perform all of the effects on this DVD. I'm sure to order more from the Colombini $10 store in the future. Bravo Aldo!
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6967 Posts

Hi, guys. Just to let you know, Aldo has a few more dvds out and I appear as a special guest on 3 of them performing a few of my effects, two of which have never been previously published:

Let's Go (Packet Trick DVD)

http://www.wildcolombini.com/cart/produc......s_id=329

On the Cards (Card Trick dvd... obviously)

http://www.wildcolombini.com/cart/produc......s_id=327

No Cards Allowed (Title says it all)

http://www.wildcolombini.com/cart/produc......s_id=324
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Aldo Colombini's "Packet Trick Picks" DVD (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL