The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Thank you or NO thank you? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1601 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
I’ve been really busy since I posted that so this is my first chance to reply.

Let me address some of the suggestions (in no particular order):

“Give the money back”- No, I don’t think I’ll be ding that, I DID show up and did 90% of my show so I feel that I am owed something. I DO like Skips idea of a gift card, although I don’t know where to. She lives on an Indian reservation out in the middle of nowhere. BTW, she paid me cash so there is no check to return. That brings me to the next point.

“Spend the $200 on a GPS”- You can’t buy a GPS for $200. And besides, my phone has one. I didn’t use it because I contacted the client several times prior to the show about the directions. This place is so secluded; Map Quest and Yahoo Maps couldn’t find it. Had I known that the signs would have been blown off, I would have pulled over and activated the GPS on my phone.

“Know the area” – This is an area that I have never performed in and I’ve been in California all my 38 years, so this was new to me.

Bottom line:

This was my first time of being an hour late and I felt really bad. I plan on sending her a brief “thank you” with a gift card of some kind AND if I get a call for that area again, I’ll probably book it out to a friend if I have other bookings that day.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Jim
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1601 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
Also, I have a clause in my contract saying I am not responsible for misguide directions, travel delays and unforeseen controllable events.

Ohhh..that's a good one!!!
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
I think the gift card is a very good idea. I think even a Target or Wal-mart card would be good; even if she lives on a reservation, she must shop somewhere.

See ya!
Joe Libby
International Motivational Speaker & Entertainer; Helps you get ROCK-STAR RESULTS for your event!

For your gifts and free trainings, visit:
https://JoeLibbySeminars.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
SoCalPro,
If you are doing four shows a day on the weekends you should pick up a GPS. What is $300 or $500 to avoid the situation in the future. I have GPS system in my car and on my IPHONE.

But, to give the money back is a bit silly. The lady accepted your services and you did mutually agree on a new price. To send her a letter to remind her how frustrated she was because you were late is a bad idea. Just send her a thank you note and leave it at that and let her positive memories of your show replace the negative.
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
1. You should ALWAYS send a thank you note. And it does not have to be a stock generic thank you note....which is why I think you asked the question. Thank them for INVITING you to their event...and obvioulsy in this circumstance, thank them for their patience.

2. You most certainly can buy a GPS for 200 bucks. besides...the price is not the point.
If you have it on your phone you should have used it anyway.

3. No harm done really because no one was mad at you, but I love skips idea about sending a Gift Certificate.

Bottom Line: Be a human being....not a "business man/machine/robot". SH!D happens. They know it...you know it. Treat them well. They will appreciate you and your efforts.
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
I can't imagine life without GPS.

Okay, that's a bit over the top...

I can't imagine driving without GPS.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
James! I thought you were D.C. Based...now, you're in Texas? Did I miss something? All this time I thought, "I'll drop in on James next time I'm in Baltimore and swap tales & ideas!" and here you've gone Longhorn on me! Smile Dang!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9492 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Tom tom and another brand cost 150 if you look around
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I will add to what has been stated as well as also include getting a GPS system as a big next investment for your show. It is the single best thing I bought for the show last year and it has saved me time and time again. I do not have to even have street signs or anything to get to where I need to go. You can also get a traffic upgrade for them so that it an navigate you automatically around traffic and construction problems. For someone who is doing a lot of shows and traveling, it is a must. It pays itself off very quickly and is a tax right off as well.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Jim/SoCalPro:

I would also like to thank you for sharing this story. The responses have been interesting.

Chris
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Howdy Skip,

Yes, I am now a Texan!
Moved down here last summer.

Best,
James
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

Earlier in my career, I experienced something very similar to what happened to you. It was my first year of business and I was excited to be booked months in advance for Christmas shows. I was booked for three shows in one day, but as they were aprox an hour apart, I thought I had plenty of time to travel between shows. The shows were booked in Aug. What I hadn't anticipated was the day of the shows our area was hit by the biggest snowfall we hadn't seen in years.

I was 10 mins late for the second show due to traffic which otherwise would have only taken 1/2 hr to get there and I thought 1 hr between shows had been enough. Wrong! When the roads were slick with ice and snow. It thus made me late getting to the last show which was a bit of distance away and normally travelled easily via Freeway. Again, another horrible set of circumstances as the freeway was shut down due to accidents and I had to take a longer route. It was such a horrible feeling arriving at my last gig 1 hr late at a Children's Hospital with hundreds of people waiting.

Worse still, was a dad had stood in the parking lot waiting for me as he had saved me a parking spot in front so I could unload my equiptment more easily. That poor man had stood for over an hour in the cold. His wife had been the one to book me for the event.

To make it up, I did give them a discount on the show and sent a hand written note to the family offering to give their child a free show for his birthday. I felt I had put this family on the spot as they had been in charge of the event.

In my 18 year career, I have been late aprox 3 times and each time offered a discount even if I did the entire show. I feel no matter what the circumstance it was my fault. It places stress on those that hired us what would otherwise be a joyful event. I also never repeated the same mistake I did that first year regarding Christmas shows no matter how good the money was. It's easy to forget that bad weather often accompanies that time of year when being booked months in advance. I now will only book events 2 hrs minimum apart in the winter months. In the last couple years I also only do two shows and not try to cram in as many as possible. I've come to look at it this way, while the money with doing a numerous shows is awesome, eventually you want repeat customers and I'd rather have those than just be wealthy for one season. This is especially true during Christmas when entertainers are in high demand. My first year I did 17 shows that Christmas season. I now do 1/2 that amount, but get paid double what I used to make and only do corporate shows at Christmas so in the end it has paid off.

I once told a client "no charge" even though I really had counted on the money as I was late for her child's birthday party. My reason was valid as it was an emergency regarding my own child so she was understanding, but I still felt I had let her down regarding her child's special day. It turned out this woman became one of my biggest supporters as she was in charge of special events for a college and thus recommended me and helped me get bigger events. So while I did lose the pay for her child's birthday I gained much more back in return due to leaving her with good feelings rather than anger.

It's good business practise and back to the original question: this person is definately one that should get a handwritten thank you note. I agree keep the money but I'd also offer to either give them a discount on a future show or even offer to do a free show in the future. While we don't like to do this, we also want to leave a lasting good impression on everyone we come into contact with.

Chrystal
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2241 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2008-03-15 01:33, Chrystal wrote:
I've come to look at it this way, while the money with doing a numerous shows is awesome, eventually you want repeat customers and I'd rather have those than just be wealthy for one season. Chrystal

You go girl! Smile I'm happy hear about the many who take customer satisfaction seriously. I once delt with a magician who was so proud of his skills and appeal that he thought nothing of being late. His attitude, "if they want me they'll just have to wait for me." He got a lot of bookings at the time but has moved on to other things now. I wonder why.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
KidMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Bradford
183 Posts

Profile of KidMagic
I would send her a thank you note, but at the bottom also say sorry for being late. Who's knows she might even want you back... just don't be late.

Zach
Magically yours,
KidMagic/Zachary Gauthier
www.kidmagic.ca
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Being late do to events that are not under your control any reasonable person would understand this.
YOu still performed the show so WHY give the show away for free?

FREE = NO value.

A discount if needed, but they still received the services and benefitted from it.

After all it is a party/event the main focal point is the STAR of the event or the functions reason.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20026 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What does your contract say about being late? That is the first question.

I have no idea what I would do. Heck everyone can flame the heck out of me but I never sent a thank you card in my life to a client, and I have people I have been working with for 19 years!

You did what you did, you kind of did a bit of a rough justice as to the fee, she seemed as happy as someone could in a circumstance so life moves along right?

I never understood the whole "thank you" card concept. Heck I get them all the time from clients, and I get that, but this is something I don't get and it may just be market spacific to those markets I have studiously avoided. (obviously for good reasons as I am clueless!)

I think at some point you do a memorable show, and move along.

I have also never ever packed a schedule that tight in my life. It is asking for trouble. I know why guys do it, and that is fine, but I just don't do it.

It is just a difference in venue with me is all, not better, not worse, just different is all.

So in short send the card. WORST can happen is she won't use you again. She has already made that decision anyhow right? Why sweat the small stuff? Best case, the card does whatever it is supposed to do in the first place.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Thank you or NO thank you? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL