We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Street magic table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

flooglestreet
View Profile
New user
New York
63 Posts

Profile of flooglestreet
Where can I find a table that I can fold up and carry for street performances. I have a wooden TV table as sold in Walgreens or bed and bath but it doesn't fit all my needs. Smile
If ya wanna be the Top Banana, Ya gotta start at the bottom of the Bunch (Johnny Mercer)
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
flooglestreet
View Profile
New user
New York
63 Posts

Profile of flooglestreet
Thanks for the answer but that is what I have, not what I want. Smile
If ya wanna be the Top Banana, Ya gotta start at the bottom of the Bunch (Johnny Mercer)
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1218 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Needs to be taller -- at ;east 36 inches.
marc
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

A quick search will provide you a more in-depth answer, however, all you need is a tall tray jack stand, like those used in restaurants; a half-sheet of quality 3/8-inch plywood cut down to your desired dimensions - I've heard of everything from 18x24 to 24x36, I prefer 20x30; some material to cover the plywood; a bit of framing; and you have a table nearly ready to go. Some bits of hardware to affix the table top to the tray jack, and straps to hold one to the other, and another to carry it on your shoulder and you're good to go.

Or you could get ahold of Frank Starsini at TheAmbitiousCard, give him about $250, and have him build the table top for you. I've seen photos and read reviews - unless you're handy and have time on your hands - give Frank the money and save yourself the time and the hassle.

Just my $.02 (USD) worth. YMMV

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Take a closer look at that site. They make several sizes and even made a custom size for me. They even put a small lip around so balls would not roll off.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
725 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Music store: get a KEYBOARD FOLDING STAND. Expands-widends to several widths.

Available in several weights & thicknesses...made to hold weight & be sturdy!

On top--place a attache case or suitcase, a box, or most anything.

FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Listen to Magic Ulysses. That's the way to go.

Moxahalla added a good bit about the keyboard stand too if you want something different than a tray jack...but tray jacks work just fine.

Are you planning on doing cups and balls? Coin and/or card work? What's your dream table going to be doing for you?

The size, padding, fabric choice, complexity of design, etc... really comes after you've got your show thought out.

Certainly Frank's tables are an excellent "all purpose" table. But like Moxahalla said, you can place anything on top of the stand you want depending on your show.

Kozmo has a big servante on his (also available from Frank at http://www.theambitiouscard.com ). Andy Comic designed his to be a suit case. Gazzo works out of his pouch so he doesn't need a servante attached to his table. Cellini used a trunk turned sideways for a while. I've seen guys drag Leffler tables out to a pitch and even one guy I know rolls some kinda tool chest out there.

1. How far do ya gotta lug it?
2. What effects are you gonna use it for?
3. How handy are you with tools?
4. What's you personal time vs. personal $ status?
5. How much experimenting are you willing to do before you find your perfect fit?

I've built a few tables, and would be happy to talk with you about this...it's one of my favorite topics on the Magic Café...cuz it's the only thing on this forum that I really know anything about Smile

Answer these questions if you care to and perhaps we'll come up with something that works for you and your style...sounds like a fun project if you ask me!
Solitaire
View Profile
New user
Germany
83 Posts

Profile of Solitaire
I use on of these plyable camping tables, the legs are a frame which you can fold together and the top of the table is made of aluminium bars held together by rubber straps so you can roll it. Packs tightly and is easy to carry, plus light in weight (I don't know the English name for it, some German fellow magicians called it a "spider").
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
Music store: a music sheet stand. The one I purchased has a complete table top, a telescoping pole and tripod. $50.
fib
jgoldsney
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of jgoldsney
I found a folding stand for a Coleman camping stove in a pile of stuff my granfather was getting rid of. It is light weight angle iron and is extremely compact. (less than 1-1/2" thick when folded)

A few coats of black paint, a peice of plywood and some black felt and voila....

I guess the point I was making was to look around and see what you can find in unlikely places
-----------------------

There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand Binary and those who don't Smile
jgoldsney
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of jgoldsney
I found a folding stand for a Coleman camping stove in a pile of stuff my granfather was getting rid of. It is light weight angle iron and is extremely compact. (less than 1-1/2" thick when folded)

A few coats of black paint, a peice of plywood and some black felt and voila....

I guess the point I was making was to look around and see what you can find in unlikely places
-----------------------

There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand Binary and those who don't Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13386 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Those Coleman stands are good but pretty short.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Check out the Eureka Table Base

If you cant find them anywhere, check the link in my signature. We carry them.

They are basically a ruggedized stand that allows most table tops or cases to be mounted.

The reason I went with the Eureka, is that the legs can be adjusted outward to create a very sturdy base. The pedestal adjusts to varying heights as well. There are a few people on the Café that have bought these - if you search on Eureka, you will find some more info.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Just go with Frank's large busking table, and use a keyboard stand from a music store. Frank's tables are hard to beat. I love using mine.

Bob Phillips
Pure Magic Z
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
6 Posts

Profile of Pure Magic Z
If you get the DVD Go Pro: With Tom Krystof he teaches you how to make a great table for street magic. Its easy to make, not that expensive and will do you wonders. He basically makes a stand out of one of those aluminum tool boxes that you can store your props in so you have everything you need to do a show right in front of you.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Send me your e-mail address. I will send you some information that you will find useful.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Street magic table (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL