The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic and Education (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ptigue
View Profile
New user
Alabama
95 Posts

Profile of ptigue
I'm not sure where exactly to put this, but this was as close as I could get.

I teach 5th grade and I usually do tricks for the kids in the halls, at lunch. Nothing serious and often just as a "hey, watch this" kind of thing.

I've always wanted to incorporate magic into lessons since the tricks always seem to really grab the attention of the students. I've had some ideas in the past (T&R paper using geometrical shapes, rice bowls for multiplication, or even Burger's Card Warp Inquisition) and am soon going to try some to see how they "work" in a classroom setting. Will I get an "Aaaah" or will they be climbing the walls for the remainder of the day. Joke. Sort of.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas for tricks that would lend themselves to the classroom setting? I'm looking for things that are not the standard "kid" effects (Svengali coloring books, etc.)

Think of specific topics within the subject if you can, i.e. reading (inferring, cause and effect, comprehension), social studies (native Americans, American Revolution, Civil War), math (geometry, multiplication, fractions), you get the idea.

Time to stretch your minds a little. Any subject, any curriculum area, and any grade! The choice is yours. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Phil
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I've had many teachers ask me where I got my Bruce Kalver Growing/Shrinking Head illusion. I'm not sure how they intend to use it, but many of them loved it when they saw it. I think it would be a great way to get the kids to focus - tell them to focus for 30 seconds on the disc, do the illusion and let everyone see how cool it is to watch your head grow or shrink, then direct them to focus their attention for the next 30 minutes on your teaching! It definitely works as an attention getter, and a way to recapture them if they're drifting off.
Bradley Roberts
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas
413 Posts

Profile of Bradley Roberts
Hello Phil,

Jim Kleefeld has some great programs for education with magic. You might want to check out some of his stuff. http://www.jimkleefeld.com/JWKbooks.html I have used them and they work like magic Smile

~B-Rad
B-Rad "The Kids Magician"
Brad Kids Magic Website
"A child's smile is one of life's greatest blessings."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
As a university professor, I have often used a magic trick as a control in management research projects under laboratory conditions.

In lectures, I've used tricks to show marketing research students how easy it is to "force" responses with poorly designed questions and possible answers.

It has its place!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
As a High School (11-16 years) ICT teacher, I often do tricks in the class as the starter or plenary.

Usually they are Ring Tricks or Body Tricks. I sometimes relate them to the lesson, depends on how well it lends itself to the subject.

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic and Education (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL