The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fantasio candle staying lit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
Has anyone had a problem with their Fantasio Vanishing Candle staying lit? I am having a huge problem keeping it lit for longer than 2 minutes. I have it filled with fluid (it's not using it up), the wick is soaked, the wick is extended approx. 1/2", and I have the batting in place with the cap on secure.

I have tried 2 different candles and am having the exact same problem with both, so I can only surmise the problem is me. Am I missing something? Please help.
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
They really are not meant to stay burning that long. Shortening the wick may help, though.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
Tried it with a shorter wick as well as a double wick and several combinations. Not sure what the story is though. From the design, you would think it would burn a lot longer. There is still virtually all of the lighter fluid left in the compartment though....

:spoon:
Danny Boy
View Profile
New user
USA
57 Posts

Profile of Danny Boy
I agree with Michael, they don't seem to be meant for long durations as much as multiple uses.

Danny
DannyCrook.com
AlexanderYan
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of AlexanderYan
The wick on the fantasio candle is similar to that of a zippo lighter, which isn't really designed to be lit for more than thirty seconds.

-AY
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I agree about the wick also. I only ever keep them lit for a few seconds at most in any given act or rotine. I also often times put acandle cap or a thimble with soaked cotton on the wick prior to doing the act to prevent evaporation.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
I would love to see a gimmick that could fit on top of a regular fantasio candle with a "long lasting" wick that could be stolen off before the vanish, etc. I use this to light three real candles in a candleabra before starting my ghost story routine and want to light the three and then vanish the first one but it is a real challenge to do the required action and lines and get it vanished before it goes out.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
I suggest contacting Fantasio himself and address your problem and maybe he will have an answer your looking for. Go to his web site and contact him.

Best,
Jeff
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
There are differnt types of candle wicks for these. I found the Fantasio ones to be thin and flimbsy. I went to a craft store called Michaels here in Canada, and found they had a few different types to choose from that fit the fantasio candle.

They had a beefier wick that could take the flame for a lot longer.

Also posted in other threads, I have mentioned the idea of using those tiny little rubber caps that you would find on the bottom of the legs of say a reciept spiker found in Restaurant Kitchens etc.

These little rubber caps fit perfect over a fantasio candle wick top and keep them from evapourating.

The advantages from this is that it allows you to load your lighter fluid in the day before and then just before show time you can slip them off and your candle and wick will be soaked with the fluid.

Combine this with the thicker wick and your candle can stay lit for a very long time and without actually burning the wick all that much.

When I first used fantasio candles I had the same problem, and then when I began using the combined method above, it completely solved the problem. Its a tried and tested method that I used for years and years when I used to do a candle and dove act. It works trust me.

Peter.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
Peter - that's awesome! Great advise. I shall go look today. Question - how long do you get your candles to burn with this improved method?
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

They would stay lit for an entire manipulation routine which would run for bout 5-7 minutes, but they could have burned longer, I just never needed them too, nor did I ever actually time them from start to finish, but I would imagine they could burn for about 10-15 minutes before exahusting the thicker wick when presoaked the night before.

Also the key is to fill up the candle, let the lighter fluid soak in and fill it up again, and repeat this process a couple of times until it can't handle any more fluid at all!

And finally it is important to 'Prime' your wick when replacing old ones. Burn it for a few seconds and blow it out, then repeat that process another time or two.

Oh and one final tip, have at least in an inch or so of wick inside the lighter fluid chanber and only about a 3/8 of an inch sticking out past the metal wick tube atop the candle.

Good luck.

Peter.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Peter!
Thanks!
"we're not worthy"!!
This is great info. I will get busy on this and my ghosts thank you.
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
I've just discovered another way to keep the wick wet (in addition to the rubber foot thingies from the receipt sticker in restaurants). When you buy ink refills for some of your more expensive brand pens, they'll come with the tip where the ink comes out covered in a plastic-y / rubbery cylinder. This works FANTASTIC!
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

UFO-my pleasure! I know how frustrated I was until I was able to correct the problem.

Daddy-I see trying to out do me eh? Yeah well I didn't have that technology when I was doing candles some 15 years ago....lol, just kidding, sounds like that would work great too, thanks for the tip(no pun intended), that's whats great about the Café, magicians helping magicians with simple little tips like this! Boy I wish the Café was around when I first started in magic!

I am curious how everyone has made out finding the thicker wicks at Michaels Craft stores or similar stores?

P.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
Michael's has gone out of business in the area. My wife is stopping by JoAnn Fabrics today and is going to check for me while she's there. I'll keep you updated. Smile

Yeah, the Café is FANTASTIC! I can't beLIEVE how many valuable little tidbits of info I've discovered on here. It does seem some folks have a love/hate relationship with the Café though...seems when I mention finding a tidbit to some people they say "Yeah, there's a TON of info there," while others may say something like "That's just a forum for people with nothing better to do." Odd....
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Found them with no trouble at Michaels.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the update Ed, I was wondering how everyone was making out. Good news they still carry the wicks.

Peter.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
Theres one in Tulsa, Ok that has them. Owln_1
mikeybionic
View Profile
New user
san francisco
31 Posts

Profile of mikeybionic
I've been experimenting with some appearing/vanishing candles lately and so far zippo wicks have worked the best. leave about 1/8th inch exposed and pack the compartment with about 1.5 cotton balls . . . as long as its not too tight.
I was comparing this flame with a real candle flame and its dead on.
has anyone ever tried replacing the fantasio tip with a real candle of equal diameter/length???
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
I got this tip from another member here longtime ago> Go to WalMart or any petshop, buy a roll of tubing that uses for blowing the air in the aquarium. Chose the one that fits snugly on the tip. Cut about 1 to 1.5" pieces, burn one end and use the flier to squeeze that end together. You'll have a disposable cap that keeps the candle tip from vaporize. You can remove as soon as you pick up the candle or if you forget until you are performing, just remove it, toss it away, no one ever notice any way. It's really cheap, a whole roll cost only a buck or two and you can make hundred of them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fantasio candle staying lit (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL