The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » In the spectator's hands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I'm probably not looking for the right words in the search, but I can't seem to find much on this here.

I'm wondering what kinds of effects can be done completely - or almost completely - in the spectator's hands from an unprepared deck. I've got one signed card revelation - but are lost card revelations all there are for this? That would seem to get boring pretty quick, even if the card is revealed a different way each time.

Are there other types of card effects that are self-working, don't need a stacked deck, and can be done almost completely without the magician involved?

Ed
jquackc
View Profile
Loyal user
JC - Denver
218 Posts

Profile of jquackc
Search the Café for Mirabill. It works well as a mentalism piece but has lots of potential for presentation. There's a lot of buzz on the Café about it and deservedly so. You'll find the product here http://outlaw-effects.com/outlaweffects/......temid=79

and there's a few threads out there on the effect check this one out: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15

I enjoy this effect, it's clever and it's amazingly easy to do and the effect literally happens with the cards in the spectators hands. You can be across the room if you wanted.

I really can't think of anyothers that aren't card locations, sorry.

JC
JC

www.jquackc.com
myspace.com/jquackc

It's coming...QUACK... a new ebook from the fallible mind of JC... April 2048... groundbreaking material... limited edition... only 200 will be sold. Starting at $47... Preorder your copy toda
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
There's Daryl's "Untouched" on Volume 4 of Easy To Master Card Miracles.

Stewart James' Miraskill (which can be found numerous places, but Scarne On Card Tricks is the easiest to find) is excellent, too! Seeing as it's already a self-working trick, I'm not sure what sleights Outlaw Effects found in there, or what they "took out". If you can afford the James File and Stewart James In Print, there are many excellent variations on the routine, as well. There's even one version where you can repeat the effect numerous times without altering the number of cards in the stack!

Even though it requires a minor stack, you might want to look at "The Shuffling Lesson" (in Magic For Dummies) by Chad Long. It could be a great opener! The spectator cuts and shuffles the decks themselves, and they wind up with the four kings! As a kicker, you wind up with the four aces.

Also, check out Jim Steinmeyer's "Impuzzibilities" and ......ilities". There are numerous effects that can be done over the phone, including a cards across routine!
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Ed

If you are after a in the hands routine that has a mentalism feel about it, then try Entourage by Gordon Bean. It really is hard hitting and the spectators cannot believe the outcome.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2850 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Hi JC,

Thanks for the kind words! I recently had a surge in Mirabill sales from "non-mentalists" and wondered if someone had posted somewhere outside the mentalism threads.

But it was a while back when you posted so I'm I'm still scratching my head at the sudden interest from cardmen. I had wonderful compliments from Peter Duffie, John Bannon and David Britland among others but don't see any posts from them so that doesn't clear it up for me.

By the way, the supplement that comes with Mirabill has some truly great stuff including contributions from John Bannon, Dom Twose, Deddy Corbuzier, Greg Arce, Jim Callahan, Jerome Finley, Mike Sturgeon, Josh Quinn and Tony Iacovello.

Probably of most interest to the cardmen is the version called The Twist included in the original mss. with killer variations in the supplement. Basically a card game similar to the kid's game of War, played between any two participants and as JC mentioned it is totally impromptu, hands off and you can be across the room. Yet you know the outcome before they even start to play.

The investment of the competing participants, and the resulting interest generated in the rest of the audience, exceeded my wildest expectations and this is the version I use most often.

Again thanks for the mention. And before anyone asks, when you buy Mirabill the supplement automatically is included.

Best,

Bill
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2850 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Whoops! Forgot to address this from Scott:

"Stewart James' Miraskill (which can be found numerous places, but Scarne On Card Tricks is the easiest to find) is excellent, too! Seeing as it's already a self-working trick, I'm not sure what sleights Outlaw Effects found in there, or what they "took out". If you can afford the James File and Stewart James In Print, there are many excellent variations on the routine, as well. There's even one version where you can repeat the effect numerous times without altering the number of cards in the stack!"

No ill will at all Scott, because I've covered this ground extensively and understand where you are coming from. I do feel the need to clear a couple of things up.

First, though Rick Roth of Outlaw Effects is kind enough to give Mirabill a gracious home, this evolution of Stewart James' brilliant Miraskil is my product. It is not an Outlaw Effects/Dr. Bill Production as in past and future collaborations with Rick. So kudos and criticism must fall my way.

I absolutely agree with you about the wonderful material in the works you cited, as well as others such as David Williamson’s inspired “Aunt Mary’s Terrible Secret.” However, if you read the original published effect, you'll see that Miraskil is NOT entirely self-working. There is no getting around that Miraskil as originally published in The Jinx unquestionably requires some basic sleight of hand.

While the sleight I’ve eliminated in my own way in Mirabill is a basic technique that should be in any card man’s repertoire, it is still a sleight that daunts some in practice. Also there are circumstances where it is clearly advantageous not to have to rely on this sleight or there probably wouldn’t be so many other ways around it that have been created!

I've had several well-read magicians tell me that they had only read Miraskil in the books you referenced (among others) but assumed or mis-remembered they'd read the source material. By the way, you are in extremely good company if this is the case with you. I mean really, really good company without naming names!

I was fortunate and very flattered to find an order from John Bannon early on. I've always been a huge fan of his thinking. John acknowledged that his main reason for purchasing Mirabill was to see if I had, as often happens in magicdom, come up with the same ideas he had in an unpublished version he performs.

Not only did John readily recognize the differences and that Mirabill is hands off in a way his version is not, but he allowed me to use one of the great contributions that he had found in his own explorations of Miraskil. We had both independently arrived at the same realizations about performing as I describe in The Twist (previous post) and John was confident from his own research that there is nothing else like this in print. He wrote me early on that this is the only way he believes it makes sense to perform the effect.

By the way, I love performing John’s version. It is devilishly brilliant in its own right and just plain feels good in actual use.

There are times however when I want to be as hands off as possible when performing as a mentalist. Mirabill allows one to do this in a way that is apparently unique based on my own research and the research of some of the best cardmen in the world. And to my surprise, most of the cardmen who read Mirabill seemed to see benefits in this handling.

There is another aspect of Mirabill I want to address on this thread. I have considerably shortened the performance length of the effect in a way that makes sense and takes nothing away from the impact.

I have never liked tricks involving excessive dealing and there is no getting around the fact that Miraskil is in that genre. There is just something about the Miraskil principle and effect that overcame this aversion so it had been my one exception for many years.

I know I’m not alone in this dislike (or making an exception for Miraskil), nor, as I discovered in my research, am I the first to reduce the amount of dealing required. John Bannon’s version mentioned above also addresses this issue in a very unique way and this is the contribution that he generously allowed me to include in the supplement. Not only did this allow Mirabill to be refined to an even higher level it simplified it even more at the same time!

In an email to me, Peter Duffie addressed this point eloquently so I will end with his words:

"Normally, when I read an improvement to a classic trick, there are new complications added. This is not the case here and I grinned widely as I read your elegant solution. Far from adding any complications, you have managed to simplify and actually improve an established classic card trick. I am sure Stewart James would have loved this as much as I do.”

Best,

Bill
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
I saw a version of miraskil in the Karl Fulves,"MORE SELF-WORKING CARD MAGIC" book. I'm not sure about the original version. I might have to check out MIRABIL.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki has become obsessed... no, highly interested is probably a better word... in getting as much magic to happen in the hands of the spectators as possible. Thus he recently released his aptly named "In THEIR Hands Dye-Version" and his not so aptly named "McFiki's JUMBO Aces", a variation of McDonald's Aces which also takes place mostly in the hands of the spectators. For him, the fun part is in actually giving the spectator gaffed cards in ways they don't even know what they are holding or how it works. They just discover the aces disappearing and reappearing while held tightly, sandwiched between their palms.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
I believe mentalism or magic with cards in the spectators hands is the strongest thing a performer can do. Three effects jump to my mind: 1) Crossroads by Ben Harris 2)Numbers by Rus Andrews and 3) Lottery ACAAN sold by myself.
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
I've been looking to add more effects that can be done/happen in the spec hands. This is a great set of posts. Thanks.
Philip Busk
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » In the spectator's hands (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL