The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Tough Spot...your thoughts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
I have a client, who so far has booked me 3 times in the last 9 months and 'says' they will continue to book me 3-4x every year. Here is where I am curious what you would do...I ask for my set amount, and now give them a slight discount because they have been a good client, but twice I have run into the problem of them coming up short with me when I arrive at the show. Basically I charge them $325, give them a $50 discount....and the last two times they have talked me down (basically negotiating hard) to $225 cash...in total that is a $100 off, not including my discount....

So, do I buck up and say 'pay the full amount' or just go on knowing that there is a very strong chance that they will be booking me again in a few months....not sure what to do....
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Make sure that you have a contract before the show that states EXACTLY what was discussed.
Yes..Get the rate that you discussed with them. If they can't seem to stick to their deal, they are not a client worth working for. You are already giving them their earned "Valuable Customer" discount. They have no right to ask to pay less than what was already agreed upon.
How would they feel if you arrived and asked for $100 more than they agreed on?
They'd be right pi**ed off.
If you show up and they insist on paying you less than agreed upon, walk.
It might seem hard to do, but it will work out better for you in the long run.
Gwyd
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
MB, they've already got you pegged. You should have a contract with them; regardless, if they aren't willing to stick to the deal, then walk.

See ya!
Joe L.
International Motivational Speaker & Entertainer; Helps you get ROCK-STAR RESULTS for your event!

For your gifts and free trainings, visit:
https://JoeLibbySeminars.com
tparrett62
View Profile
Regular user
New York
171 Posts

Profile of tparrett62
Dump them. Is this the kind of client you want to work for, or the kind you want to build your business on? You are not going to be able to get them to pay you your full amount, and every time you work for them, you are going to come away from it kicking yourself for being taken advantage of.

If I could hire someone 4 times a year and talk them into cutting their fee by 33 percent, why would I ever pay full price? What's going to happen when they refer other people to you? More work at ripoff prices. End it now.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Of course...You could do the show for the price they decide to pay once you get there. And you do 1/3 less show.
Just drop all of the climaxes to your acts.
You put the bunny into the box and it does not disappear.
You never even try to guess the card they selected.
Only cut a woman part way in half.
Ok...Not practical, but it amused me.
Gwyd
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20026 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well it gets to why discount at all. But that is another thread.

BUT if they are coming up short you have 2 choices.

Well no choices depending on when you ask for payment. If you are asking prior to the show, (which I recomend) then you can either walk, or do the show. Tough call and this is a personal preference. I would do it, and then the next time demand payment in advance for the entire amount. This solves the problem.

You can just keep doing the shows, based on the fact that they do a lot of business with you. Well if I got a full priced plumber for 1/3 off I would use him a lot as well.

If you do the show and then get paid, well then you have a huge problem. Not much you can really do at that point as all of your bargaining power is in the threat of not doing that show at all. This is why I would get paid prior to the show.

It seems to me if this happens regularly, even if they book you a lot, they are knowingly taking advantage of you. It is up to you if you want them to stop. I would not let it happen, but that does not make that right for you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
I never discount my price for repeat customers.

My thinking is that if they liked me enough to book me again, and if they could afford to pay me the first time, why on earth do I need to give them a discount?

I see giving a discount as a bargaining tool when trying to get a gig (although it is a tool I very rarely use, unless there is some reason why I especially want to work for a particular client.)

If you have already got the gig and they already love you, I don't see it necessary to drop your price.

It's like when magicians give a discount to people just because they live a short drive away. Why?

In this situation, I would tell them next time they call that you raise your prices each year and give them your new rate. Just be matter of fact about it.

Best,
James
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
You guys raise some good points....

James: I like your thought on not discounting, but the reason I do is because I feel it builds a good relationship with them and they are much quicker to refer or consider you over someone else when it comes to planning there schedule. Regardless how much they liked your act, everything does come down to budget for most.

Danny: Like you said, it is a tough spot, and by the way, I do get paid prior to the show...but they put you on the spot and I don't really like to do business that way, but I look at it like this...

Over 365 days

1 show = $325 no discount or anything - happy with the service, but probably won't think of me a few months down the road for booking and might consider somebody else regardless of the quality of the show. They will most likely book me next year.

Over 365 days
4 shows x $275 (repeat booking discount but and no further discounting) = $1100 in business from ONE customer for each year. Now if they try to bargain with me, obviously its less (but I am not doing that anymore), but regardless if you get $1100 a year from a client that isn't a corporate or 'larger' style of show, that's not bad at all to me. This customer feels they have saved money and will think of you in the future or each time he is planning there calendar. Even if they are saving only a little money, you'll be surprised how much they will think of you. Remember I'm not competing agaisnt other magicians only, but other entertainers in general, so I do want to be remembered in other ways than the quality of act I provide. I guess it was easy for me to say YES to the further discount because they are very good to work with, very accomadating...they even carry all my stuff in and out along with park my car. They give me a full free meal off there menu (expensive menu!! and all you can drink, so its hard to say for NO for the bargain discount)

As for contracts, I only provide 'booking terms' to groups under a certain dollar value...once it gets over a certain amount, I issue contracts...
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-03-10 12:23, _MB_ wrote:

So, do I buck up and say 'pay the full amount' or just go on knowing that there is a very strong chance that they will be booking me again in a few months....not sure what to do....

Michael,

It really comes down to this basic fact for you to ponder. Is a series of shows for them worth $225 each to you? If it is then take it and be happy. If not then don't lower your standards and move on.

With that said.. its important to never anyone ever do this to you again. If the client rented you a truck to haul your stuff to another show and you didn't make enough profit to pay for that truck.. they would OF COURSE still expect full payment from you even if it was not immediate. They would not take a newly negotiated lesser paymen. They would not say... If we demand full payment Michael won't rent a truck from us again.

Best,

Tim

Day 10
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Well I am not disgruntled about making $225....its one of the easiest shows to do; short, simple and 9/10 times an awesome crowd...but then again I don't like being taken advantage of, but feel now I do have a great relationship with them and know I will be booked a few times a year perhaps more to say the least.
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
PS Tim, I love the idea of 31 days.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-03-10 15:52, _MB_ wrote:
Well I am not disgruntled about making $225....its one of the easiest shows to do; short, simple and 9/10 times an awesome crowd...but then again I don't like being taken advantage of, but feel now I do have a great relationship with them and know I will be booked a few times a year perhaps more to say the least.

Then take the gig and be happy and don't let others tell you different. Enjoy it!

BTW... if you like the 31 days then Join us! LOL ( drop by the 31 day thread and let us know you are in) I don't' think it will be to hard for you to behave for the rest of the month. I've never seen a nasty post from you.

Best,

Tim

Day 10
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20026 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well I am just going to say this and hope it is not sounding mean.

When I go to Wal-Mart, and buy something, (the largest discounter in the world I believe) if I don't have the right amount of money, I don't get what I want. Plain and simple. No fuss no muss. They seem to have happy customers who keep coming back so the formula may work on some level.

If I got paid before the show, and it was short I would not do the show. If you are happy with $225 per show then that is what you should charge.

You say you have a great relationship with them, but the relationship is based on you getting screwed regularly. Hey pretty easy to have a good relationship for them huh?

You are letting them do this to you and when do you draw the line? Lets say they are short $125 next time is that ok? Where do you stop the train? I mean if they are taking advantage of you, naturally they will continue to do so and push the envelope.

If you are happy with the circumstances then indeed take the gig. But you are (or should be anyhow) running a business. In any business I can think of you set a price, and people pay a price, and they get what you agreed to give them. It is pretty straight forward. They are taking advantage of you. If you don't mind, then take the gig and be happy and the rest of us be ***ed who tell you differently.

I think you know the answer already. You are a smart guy obviously.

I just noticed a thing in your first post where the client "says" (you put the quotes there) they will book you a lot in the next year. Why the quotes?

One more thing. This person is obviously doing things based on money alone. Not the type of client I would want anyhow.

Good luck with it buddy, hope it works out for the best for you. As I said a tough spot and it is a tough decision. Make the right one for you!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
PokerMagic
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of PokerMagic
All you drink!!?!, to me that's worth it..lol.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
You are what you associate with!
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Quote:
On 2008-03-10 18:42, CE123 wrote:
All you drink!!?!, to me that's worth it..lol.

Yes...I am drink.
I am a very expensive drink.
No specials.
Gwyd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Tough Spot...your thoughts (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL