The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Public Domain, or Low Cost Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

yfoog
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Il
61 Posts

Profile of yfoog
I would like to get a few tricks to put on some marketing material for kids. Like at Birthday parties. I have seen other performers putting together Coloring Pages, or rolled up magic wands, with a few tricks.

Where can I find, or purchase the rights to use some tricks on give aways.

I hope this makes sense.

Any help would be appreciated.
The Magic of Jim Percy
President Central Illinois Magicians Association
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
The Instant Magic Book System at http://www.magicsells.com is what you need!
yfoog
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Il
61 Posts

Profile of yfoog
I wasn't looking for a whole book, just 5 or 6 tricks I can use on a roll up wand or something similar.

However with your book, are you also giving rights to reprint portions of content in other media like this, or only in the book itself?
The Magic of Jim Percy
President Central Illinois Magicians Association
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
You can use the individual tricks and illustrations any way you wish as long as it is for personal use only.

If you would like more information, you are welcome to call or email me.

Best,
James
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7396 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2008-03-10 15:33, yfoog wrote:
I wasn't looking for a whole book, just 5 or 6 tricks I can use on a roll up wand or something similar.

Tricks on the roll up wand (Assistant Certificate style), is available as a licensed product from Eric Paul:

--> The Magic Wand Certificate

Eric showed this item a while ago on one of the videos on his site.

- Donald

P.S. BTW, Eric owns all the rights to Ed Harris' artwork, and you can buy CDs with Ed's artwork on it, including several of his teach-a-trick leaflets and other giveaways. The Magic Wand Certificate is a separate item, I believe, where Eric combined 10 tricks from one of the leaflets, the assistant's certificate idea, and the roll-up wand idea. I think he uses his assistant's certificate to promote his fan club to the children, as well as shows.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
I have James' Book, and the Ed Harris artwork on CD (along with what seems like most every other program ever produced). James book is a great tool, as is the Ed Harris stuff.

One program I'm particularly fond of at the moment is Greg McMahan's Magic Workshop book which contains about 48 pages which can be combined into a single book, used as individual page handouts, or combined into smaller "themed" books. The price is reasonable and it offers a great deal of flexibility in how you use it. http://www.mrgreggy.com/Shopping/LearnMagic/

Good Luck!
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Al,

I have a question about Greg McMahon's book. Do you print the books in color or black & white?

It's expensive to print in color and trying to print photos in B&W never looks that good.

It's one reason why I prefer line art illustrations that look good in B&W.

Ed Harris stuff is all line art and still looks good after all these years!

Best,
James
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
James: I print in color.....I've used a color laser printer in my home-office for several years. In fact, I'm on my 4th color laser printer at this point. (They're now cheaper to replace than deal with drum maintenance after 15-20,000 page prints.)

Yea, it is more expensive to be sure, but frankly, I've not been overly concerned with costs such as this. I charge substantially more than my competitors for shows as well as classes and camps. I want to make sure my show, my image and my hand-outs, give-away's etc; are first class, so I'm just not too worried about the extra few bucks it costs to print on nice bright white 24# paper in color as opposed to photocopying. You are indeed correct.....to try to do them in B&W would not look too good.

Ed's stuff is good, but the graphics (especially in his multi-panel "pamphlets") are a bit dated, in my opinion. Still, for cutting, pasting and creating unique things etc; they still are very usable.

Your book and line art drawings are indeed good and can be printed/reproduced quite economically, so there is no doubt that is a consideration for those who anticipate doing a substantial number of books. I'm just offering up some alternatives so yfoog can hopefully make an informed decision.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!!
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Thanks, it's good to know how others are doing things.

I guess I sell my books so I am looking for a big profit margin. If I were giving away single sheets I might consider color. Although I would probably just get a couple of thousand done at the printers.

But the cost of color laser printers has come down quite a lot in the last couple of years so that is now becoming a more affordable option.

Best,
James
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Public Domain, or Low Cost Tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL