The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Boy, was 'that' the wrong approach! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Stopping for a shot of caffeine earlier, I struck up a conversation with the 20-something couple at the table next to mine. The interaction was pleasant enough, and they seemed curious when they saw my cards. Mentioning that I'm a Magician, I asked if I might share something fun (and, based on the number & prominence of their tats and piercings) I offered to read their fortune. They suddenly remembered an appointment and hurried off...upon which I learned the probable cause of their haste: On the rear of their car was a bumper sticker from a nearby religious college. (Locals: Biola)
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4069 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
You just never know how people will react Smile

Mike
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You should have yelled to them "but wait, I must warn you about the demons!"
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Well, Leland...that's one way to get rid of them!

Mark. Smile
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2682 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Magic Santa wrote:
'You should have yelled to them "but wait, I must warn you about the demons!'

That's freakin hilarious!
Brand New: - MICRO VANISHING STATUE OF LIBERTY ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.tenyoelite.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
My favorite mentalism story was a tableside mentalist working in the San Francisco area. He went to a club and asked a girl to dance and she said no in a rather rude way. A week later this woman shows up where he is working and doesn't recognize him at all and this fellow decided to torment her. He got his tarot out and she got the death card. He told her it must be a mistake, things happen, and she got the death card again, again....and again. She got upset and left (after eating of dinner) and he was a happy camper.
Jim Hazen
View Profile
New user
Elizabeth Colorado
56 Posts

Profile of Jim Hazen
I have done the same thing to people. If I'm really into it I tell them that the Ace of spades also serves as the major arcana Death, force AS on them, then leave it in there personal belongings to find hours or days later. Gotta get the friends of the person on it too.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14043 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-03-10 17:07, Leland Stone wrote:
Stopping for a shot of caffeine earlier, I struck up a conversation with the 20-something couple at the table next to mine. The interaction was pleasant enough, and they seemed curious when they saw my cards. Mentioning that I'm a Magician, I asked if I might share something fun (and, based on the number & prominence of their tats and piercings) I offered to read their fortune. They suddenly remembered an appointment and hurried off...upon which I learned the probable cause of their haste: On the rear of their car was a bumper sticker from a nearby religious college. (Locals: Biola)

Heeeeeere we go again...
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
It's happened to me too, in a private party. I've tried to explain them that a magic trick is just skill and gimmiks, just for fun, but they told me to leave the table, in a rude manner...

So, what's the matter with religious people?
dengez
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
245 Posts

Profile of dengez
Quote:
On 2008-03-10 21:01, MagicSanta wrote:

Hahaha!
ragingoptimist
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of ragingoptimist
I have a lot of conservative Christian friends who are fine with magic, but things such as fortunes, tarot, and the like are sure to either not interest them or chase them off.
Ryan_B_Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Sugar Grove IL
244 Posts

Profile of Ryan_B_Magic
If you are to do an mentel efect for anybody what you want to do is say that you are good at reading body languge this way no religioun will ever run away from you like that
ptigue
View Profile
New user
Alabama
95 Posts

Profile of ptigue
I think even Christian magicians would have a different viewpoint from non-magician Christians. They know what's involved, they know what's going on, and they're not deceived.

I think the reason some Christians question things like Tarot, fortunes, or mentalism is because of the way it is presented. Mostly, it is presented as if it were real, and some people buy into that idea.

Even, street magicians sometimes present themselves as being mystical and enigmatic.

People "know" that you really didn't make that sponge ball magically disappear in one hand and reappear in the other, or magically change a centavo to a quarter. But with the bizarre styles - there might just be a question.

And, for some, that is something that they'd rather not toy with. They don't want to jeopardize their salvation for a magician.

I'm not trying to flame up this topic...just trying to provide perspective.

Just food for thought.

Phil
Thomas Kwon
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Thomas Kwon
Quote:

made my day Smile
k13pt0maniac
View Profile
New user
Brownsville, Texas
92 Posts

Profile of k13pt0maniac
Quote:

I will most definitely be using that line... haha priceless Smile
-Abe a.k.a. C3rb3rus
Dante_Ravenkin
View Profile
New user
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of Dante_Ravenkin
That's an awesome story! But if I had a dollar for every religious person who thought my card tricks were Satans work, I'd have about $8.50.
'For Those Who Believe, No Explanation is Necessary. For Those Who Do Not, None Will Suffice.' - Joseph Dunninger

~Kirk~
GamingNinja
View Profile
New user
Hayward, CA
35 Posts

Profile of GamingNinja
I just read through this and now I'm afraid to perform for my inlaws. >_<
They're very VERY religious, chewed me and hubby out for having Harry Potter books in the house.

I might just skip that and save myself the possible smack and lecture. >_>
magicianinja
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of magicianinja
I tried some tricks for a lady who claimed to be psychic. It was horrible, never do tricks for a psychic, they are non-cooperative and have a grudge against magicians. I guess it's because we expose their secrets they expect to find out ours.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
925 Posts

Profile of Aus
The most extreme reaction I ever had been at college in a maths class well where waiting of the teacher to arrive. My spectator was a girl of which was very much into the whole fortune telling and spiritual and supernatural element of things.

I performed a card trick for her and she started to turn red in the face, her eyes started to well up and asked my to do another. She was actually totally freaked out by it. I must say that was the only time I ever had that sort of reaction anyone.

Magically

Aus
thepspdope
View Profile
Regular user
With Roughly About
173 Posts

Profile of thepspdope
Quote:
On 2008-05-22 20:34, magicianinja wrote:
I tried some tricks for a lady who claimed to be psychic. It was horrible, never do tricks for a psychic, they are non-cooperative and have a grudge against magicians. I guess it's because we expose their secrets they expect to find out ours.

So true. I did 2 signed selected cards become fused together as one. One of the specs was a psychic...ahem...and her chosen card was 9S but she wanted to change because it wasn't a very good card for her. I convinced her to sign the card anyway and I would try to make it better (I hadn't said was I was going to do).

The other card was the QH, so when the trick was done I ripped the card in half so they get half each, half 9S half QH and saving the day.

Psychic or not, she did not see that ending coming!
- just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Boy, was 'that' the wrong approach! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL