The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Handing out business cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Do you hand out business cards to every table and ask for referrals? How do you word it so it doesn't sound pushy or desperate?
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
You wait until someone asks for it or shows an interest. "Do you perform for parties, corporate events, etc" It's very rude and unprofessional to go around shoving business cards in people's faces. This includes "magically" producing a card when you first start. Also, you don't want to waste them on people who really have no interest in booking you.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I like statistics. I like keeping them because it makes everything more predictable and saves a lot of marketing dollars.
I am not saying don't hand out business cards ut here is a stat from my own experience. For a year I handed out two different business cards with two different telephone numbers. One to people who asked and the other randomly. More than 80% of my bookings that came from business cards (referalls included) came from people who asked for the card. I didn't advertise and my only bookings were made from handing out cards in restaurants where I worked.
Out of the remaining 20 percent or less, the majority came from people who phoned the restaurant for my number. Do the cost versus profit make it viable to hand out business cards. Yes, it does but that leaves out of account how it is perceived by people who don't want your card.
I don't want to get ripped apart here but if you do this for long enough then eventually you will know who to give a card to and who not. Don't miss opportunities but don't push it.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I agree with pepka and abc. Hand them out if asked. Otherwise, assuming you're working a paying gig, you're being employed to entertain people, not to solicit their clients for additional business.

If they ask, then answer, but discreetly. Be a professional and everyone will respect you more.

Mark.
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I like write my name, phone number and e-mail address on their hand and arm with a Sharpie. Doesn't come off for several days unless scrubbed with Ajax.

Now so you know this is a joke I will add a smilie face Smile
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Every table gets a card.... even if they already have one.

My cards are mini table tents, they stand on the table. If they take the card great if they don't the next people sitting there gets it. If not it sits there till someone wants it.

Order cards in bulk. I get 5,000 per order and give out that many every 3 months. Find a Print broker an buy from them. I get that many cards double sided, twice the size of a regular biz card full color for around $150 to me. That is 3¢ a card.

Front of my card:
http://markbyrne.balloonhq.com/complete.......0&idl=94

Back:
http://markbyrne.balloonhq.com/complete.......0&idl=95

If you need graphics help let me know.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Well here in the netherlands things are different. people in a restaurant don't see a magician often. I have some lined up but they are weeks apart.

people think that you are working for the restaurant. they think they can't afford a magician. when the company, where they work, has a party it is months away when they have seen you.

some people don't dare to ask for a card. people that do are usualy business men.

so here I would say we have to educate the people. so that they know they can hire me also. all we do is giving them an idea & and an adresse.
wol
View Profile
Loyal user
Norfolk, UK
238 Posts

Profile of wol
I try to incorporate my business cards into an effect, using the minstead of cards, the person is left with a momento of the experience nad the details if they want hire me, seems to work well, it's subtle and the focus isn't onthe cards but on the effect and makes people les dubious about trick decks, I just have trick business cards!
Keep passing the open windows!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I agree with WOL. I always use my biz card for some kind of magic effect at EVERY TABLE that I perform at. That way, they keep a remberance of the show and it's not me giving them a biz card. That's the way to go! There are several good resources on Magic with Biz Cards on the Café'...do a search and you will be supplied with MANY!!!! = )

Good luck...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Can't say I've ever handed out my business card in a "magical" way...I normally just pull them out (wrapped in a rubber band) and give them away. Smile
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Rubber band? Are you set for Out to Lunch? Spend a few bucks at Staples and get a business card case. Probably less than $20.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

As of recently, I will set my card on fire as I hand it out. Get's a GREAT REACTION!!! Other than that, Out to Lunch is another great one. I will also hand someone my card to stick in a deck of cards to find two selections (standard biz card turnover move...whatever the heck it's called...the name escapes me right now).
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Mark Wilson had a great vhs on this subject and Michael Ammar also has DVD on this. Not all are practicle...but there are a few nice gems with each. You could also do a Hover Card routine with your biz card before handing it out...tho' it may be to light for balancing purposes...don't know...would really be a great visual piece...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2008-03-11 01:08, pepka wrote:
You wait until someone asks for it or shows an interest. "Do you perform for parties, corporate events, etc" It's very rude and unprofessional to go around shoving business cards in people's faces. This includes "magically" producing a card when you first start. Also, you don't want to waste them on people who really have no interest in booking you.

I agree!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Steve,
Better still...get the trick/book Stockholder. Very well made small wallet set for "out to lunch" principle. Plus, the book has some good ideas in it.
Patrick
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
I have a couple business card holders, but all are too impractical. I can't find one that seems to hold enough to keep me from running to my case every 30 minutes it seems...??

And if it matters, I have both sides of my card printed on... Smile

-Steve
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Tho' I don't like this prop, what about the Z Fold Wallet. Show it empty, snap your fingers, HEY...cards appear! Like Magic, but cheaper! LOL!

I once saw a routine with one where someone the magician said something like "and I have a token to give you to remember me by," and he opened up the wallet and there was tons of money it. He said "yeah right!" and changed the money to his biz cards using the Z Fold. I thought it was cute.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
I usually also wait until they ask me for my card. When they ask me if it does anything I tell them it gets me business like magic.
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Quote:
On 2008-03-11 01:10, abc wrote:
I like statistics. I like keeping them because it makes everything more predictable and saves a lot of marketing dollars.
I am not saying don't hand out business cards ut here is a stat from my own experience. For a year I handed out two different business cards with two different telephone numbers. One to people who asked and the other randomly. More than 80% of my bookings that came from business cards (referalls included) came from people who asked for the card. I didn't advertise and my only bookings were made from handing out cards in restaurants where I worked.
Out of the remaining 20 percent or less, the majority came from people who phoned the restaurant for my number. Do the cost versus profit make it viable to hand out business cards. Yes, it does but that leaves out of account how it is perceived by people who don't want your card.
I don't want to get ripped apart here but if you do this for long enough then eventually you will know who to give a card to and who not. Don't miss opportunities but don't push it.

wow, nice stats. thanks for sharing. your last line sums it up: Don't miss opportunities but don't push it. It is all about knowing where to draw the line and how far you can go.
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Quote:
On 2008-03-11 01:39, derrick wrote:
I like write my name, phone number and e-mail address on their hand and arm with a Sharpie. Doesn't come off for several days unless scrubbed with Ajax.

Now so you know this is a joke I will add a smilie face Smile

haha, I will try to work that into my routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Handing out business cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL