The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Captured (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
Anyone have this yet?

Ad copy from Blacks Magic Group

"CAPTURED is the epitome of visual mental magic.

In this day of digital photography where software can be used to alter images in an instant, CAPTURED uses classic technology to bring a person's thoughts to life on film, right in front of their face.

A familiar object enters play, a deck of cards. It can be any deck at all.

A participant picks a card and retains it for the duration of the presentation, never showing it to the magician until the very end.

The magician brings out a camera and takes a photograph of the participant, which they then hold on to.

As the participant concentrates on the photograph, their thoughts slowly appear in the photo like the image of a ghost captured on unholy ground.

This is an experience so raw and visceral that your participant begins to shake?like a Polaroid picture. All they can do is stare in utter disbelief; their mouth wide open like the foundation of their reality has just been cracked by a 2-thousand pound wrecking ball.

This is hard hitting magic.

And best of all, your participant gets to take the experience home with them and remember it forever.

Strong. Dynamic. In-Your-Face magic. CAPTURED."

http://www.blacksmagicgroup.com/index2.php?pageid=captured
NEW Conscious clothing to inspire yourself and others.

http://www.thisisdivisions.com
millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
Yeah, they apparently did.

Sure you can get one off of eBay..but this is looking behind its time I suppose.
NEW Conscious clothing to inspire yourself and others.

http://www.thisisdivisions.com
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
It's hard to believe anyone would release a poloroid magic trick.

I mean really. "I have a Nokia N95 that takes 5 mega pixel instant pictures, BUT
I am going to take your picture with this huge contraption. No wait, come back, it's a camera"

I can't wait for their next release "Phonograph magic" That's right, just put this record on any record player and sit back and be entertained.

Cutting edge!!
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Planning on giving that camera out to someone to take home with them after you take that photo? That's sort of short sighted don't you think Xiqual? And my guess is, if you performed for a living, that might get a bit expensive. ROFLOL.

The effects truly produces fantastic reactions and the spectator gets something to take home with them to keep. You can even write your number for potential gigs on it; I've done this for years and it always gets the reactions I want.

Now, Polaroid has stopped making them, which is certainly true as of this year. Obviously, it will take a few good years before this is an issue, so it is a good time to release it before it is out dated. But with over 100 million in circulation and multiple companies still producing the film, it is still relevant when properly presented. Further, insurance companies, police departments, fire departments, etc still carry them for, well, instant photographs. So until your camera phone produces instant photographs, they aren't going anywhere in the short term. Go to any walmart, target, or CVS and you'll find them there.

I challenge you to try this effect once... just one time... and you'll be pretty impressed with the results. But hey, I'm biased. I just thought it was funny you'd scoff at it when you've not seen it in person or actually performed it.

But I am guessing you don't do book tests because PDFs are all the rage? Or cups and balls because, well, they were used in the middle ages a lot. What about sponge balls? WTF are those? ROFLOL. A dove pan? A deck of cards? Who carries those around except magicians? Heck I met "Jesus", one of the top poker players in the world once and he didn't have a deck on him -- and he actually makes money with those things. Do you have any gaffed half dollars? Silver dollars? Have you met ANYONE, any NORMAL person today that uses them in real life EXCEPT us? Or a silk? Do you know anyone that really has those on them anymore, say, in a breast pocket like they did decades ago when it was in vogue? My guess is you use lots of magic that isn't, well, modern. But none the less, has an incredible impact on an audience.

At the end of the day, some people will see it's value, and others will not. Just the name of the game. But I am not sure why you are so "shocked" we'd release something like this. It's a great effect, and at the end of the day, that's what matters.

BTW, "Records" are sold in the millions each year. A number of major production companies have actually re-released classics on record AND produced new ones too as collector's items. Ever been to a club? Just curious what you see the DJ scratching with out there? Sure, technology certainly has caught up; CD players are now build to be "scratched" for mixing tables. But you go to ANY city and you'll find TONS of records for sale. I was just in Japan not long ago and in Shibuya there was a massive store dedicated to that very thing.

So... while ammusing, not really accurate. Smile

Best,

JC
Tophie
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Tophie
Which model polaroid camera will work?

Will the old sx-70 work?
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
The link below could be the answer.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-ca......inter/p1

Quote[The actual Zink printer itself is quite a nifty little gadget. It is about the size of a pack of cards.]
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Truth be told, just about any regular sized model will do using standard 600 type film. With a little creativity, you can use smaller models too. Happy to help in our forums. http://www.blacksmagicgroup.com. There is a pre-sales section there.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2008-03-15 02:50, jclark wrote:
Planning on giving that camera out to someone to take home with them after you take that photo? That's sort of short sighted don't you think Xiqual? And my guess is, if you performed for a living, that might get a bit expensive. ROFLOL.

My only reply to that...Bluetooth
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
jordanjohnson
View Profile
Special user
Hiding in the Shadows
593 Posts

Profile of jordanjohnson
Quote:
On 2008-03-15 19:01, Christopher Williams wrote:
Quote:

And my reply to that is that not every phone has bluetooth capabilities. I have the iPhone which is one of the top models of cell phones and it doesn't have Bluetooth but has "crippled" bluetooth, which means it can connect to Bluetooth devices but not other phones. Also in the future more new models coming out will also have "crippled" Bluetooth to prevent the sharing of ringtones illegally.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2008-03-15 19:01, Christopher Williams wrote:
Quote:

Exactly Christopher.
I do Optical Delusion and Bluetooth the digital photo to the spectator.
Since everyone in Taiwan has a cell phone, and most have Bluetooth it's a non issue.
James

Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:

The effects truly produces fantastic reactions and the spectator gets something to take home with them to keep. You can even write your number for potential gigs on it; I've done this for years and it always gets the reactions I want.

Now, Polaroid has stopped making them, which is certainly true as of this year. Obviously, it will take a few good years before this is an issue, so it is a good time to release it before it is out dated. But with over 100 million in circulation and multiple companies still producing the film, it is still relevant when properly presented. Further, insurance companies, police departments, fire departments, etc still carry them for, well, instant photographs. So until your camera phone produces instant photographs, they aren't going anywhere in the short term. Go to any walmart, target, or CVS and you'll find them there.

I challenge you to try this effect once... just one time... and you'll be pretty impressed with the results. But hey, I'm biased. I just thought it was funny you'd scoff at it when you've not seen it in person or actually performed it.

But I am guessing you don't do book tests because PDFs are all the rage? Or cups and balls because, well, they were used in the middle ages a lot. What about sponge balls? WTF are those? ROFLOL. A dove pan? A deck of cards? Who carries those around except magicians? Heck I met "Jesus", one of the top poker players in the world once and he didn't have a deck on him -- and he actually makes money with those things. Do you have any gaffed half dollars? Silver dollars? Have you met ANYONE, any NORMAL person today that uses them in real life EXCEPT us? Or a silk? Do you know anyone that really has those on them anymore, say, in a breast pocket like they did decades ago when it was in vogue? My guess is you use lots of magic that isn't, well, modern. But none the less, has an incredible impact on an audience.

At the end of the day, some people will see it's value, and others will not. Just the name of the game. But I am not sure why you are so "shocked" we'd release something like this. It's a great effect, and at the end of the day, that's what matters.

BTW, "Records" are sold in the millions each year. A number of major production companies have actually re-released classics on record AND produced new ones too as collector's items. Ever been to a club? Just curious what you see the DJ scratching with out there? Sure, technology certainly has caught up; CD players are now build to be "scratched" for mixing tables. But you go to ANY city and you'll find TONS of records for sale. I was just in Japan not long ago and in Shibuya there was a massive store dedicated to that very thing.

So... while ammusing, not really accurate. Smile

Best,

JC

Well, I do earn about a third of my income from performing magic, I think that would count. I don't need to pay for my give aways since they are sent via Bluetooth or MMS.

I have already performed the effect. The information how to doctor the film is in
the reprint of "The Chronicles" by Karl Fulves on page 1259 under the title "Psychogenic" by FR. Cyprian. Optical Delusion plays much better!!

Your example about going to Japan and findind a shop for records used in "scratching" is perfect James. A niche market for outdated technology.
Well done Sir!!

James
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
James,

Records are a multi-million dollar niche market that everybody has heard of; they are familar to everyone EVEN IF they don't have a player. So, how does that make it any less relevant or useable if you don't happen to have a record player yourself? In the same manner, how is using a traditional camera any less effective or impactful for spectators and clients?

Answer: it's not. Just like the point about magicians using older things, like coins, etc. But I didn't see you address that point.

Your whole inital post was intended to be insulting and detract from an otherwise excellent effect by making fun of the fact that an older technology was used, as if that was a bad thing.

You said, "It's hard to believe anyone would release a poloroid magic trick." Followed by the "Cutting edge!!" quip as your sign off.

How exactly is that helpful? How is it even relevant?

To put it bluntly, if you really performed anything like Captured for people and didn't have great reactions, which is really what it is all about, then I'd be more concerned about your abilities as a performer than the type of camera you are using my friend. Maybe that's why you only make 1/3rd from performing, whereas I have friends making 100% and they use the this effect. LOL <wink, wink>

BTW, do you actually have Issue 19 in front of you? Clever of you to pull a reference that few people have as you proof of useage, but that doesn't actually mean you've performed what is on the Captured DVD my friend.

JC

PS - Ahhhh Chris, decided to join the fun did you?
How's life there Mr. President? Smile
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-03-16 01:51, jclark wrote:

PS - Ahhhh Chris, decided to join the fun did you?
How's life there Mr. President? Smile

Ahhhh James, still the comedian. I guess you think that any comment I make on one of your products will now be seen as an attack...taking away my personal opinions or views on effects. As for life with me, it is all going very well, thank you so kindly for asking, nice to see there are people out there courteous enough to ask. What about yourself James?
www.magicman13.co.uk

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-03-13 04:14, millarhouse wrote:
Here is a video demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22rQ_kIji0Q

But hasn't Polaroid going stop production?
http://www.aol.co.nz/news/story/After-60......dex.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7236106.stm

I would have been more impressed if the video would show us what the spectator's are seeing that makes them swoon.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Daffydoug: That is a very valid point, and thank you for the contribution. We discussed that a number of times after we cut the first demo, and did another to reflect what they see. I'll check on that, as I thought my IT guy was putting it up for us. Either way, will let you know.

Chris: As I told you before, you're not a blip on my radar unless you put yourself there. And of course, you always seem to do so, which doesn't make a lot of sense given our previous dealings and your history. To put it bluntly for the second time, I don't like you and your views really don't matter to me. Given that you're not a customer, a potential customer, an artist who generally uses our products, someone who positively contributes to conversations or threads related to our business or products, or even a friend that I have emotional interest in, why bother post at all? I certainly don't go where you are to "put my two cents" in. In my view, there really isn't any reason to exacerbate existing friction, unless you're just in desperate need of increasing your post count to continue the illusion that you're a "Top Pro" and not just some kid with an overblown sense of entitlement that does a few gigs once in a while.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Previous dealings with your comapany? After the way you spoke to me in the emails James, I would never shop at your company, nor would I recommend anyone to shop at your company. You are very rude and can twist things better than any person I know! Now...i said good things about the torn and restored card effect you guys released. Now, just because you have a lot of posts, does not make you a top pro, and when have I ever said 'I am a top pro'? As for kid...i am 21, making me an adult in any country in the world. As for performing, I actually perform a MINIMUM of 4 hours EVERY week professionally. May not seem much to some pros out there, but that is their sole job. I have a day time job, and perform in the evenings. I actually get rather a bit of work here where I live, due to the few amount of pros that are in the city or area I live in.
When I perform, I am not just performing in front of friends and family like most Magicians, I am actually performing in the real world, for strangers all the time, and not just in my city, but all around the country. Stop thinking you are something that you are not
www.magicman13.co.uk

jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
You make my case perfectly; maturity is not dictated by the law. That's the point, you don't understand that. We're not peers Christopher; you're not even riding in the same boat. Give it 15 years or so, and it'll make more sense to you when you've actually done something worth bragging about. Only then, your background will speak for yourself and you won't have to puff up and pretend. I imagine you were looking in the mirror when you chose the words for your closing sentence; it's incredibly apropos.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
The effect is dated Unpractical and un original in my view.

Alan
Paul Emanuel
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Paul Emanuel
Here is what I don’t understand. Why release an effect that will not stand the test of time? If Polaroid’s will be discontinued in ten years what is the use? The best effects stand the test of time and are performed and handled by many magicians’ years down the road. I would not want to have this sitting on my self and be worthless. Let’s look at this effect logical. Digital cameras are made small and portable. The Polaroid 600 is obviously not. This effect might work great in a Stage or Parlor type environment but not much elsewhere. How crazy would it look lugging around that big camera strolling from table to table or even working in the street? Really ask yourself this James how probable is this effect in a spectator’s mind? You are right in stating that at the end of the day what matters is a great effect. There is a lot more that goes into an effect that just how shocking the ending result may be. Presentation in my opinion will make and break an effect. It makes much more sense to present and unknown item such as a sponge ball to a spectator. It is then your job to show them what it can do. When they see this camera they are going to think "Is this guy crazy or is he just that cheap?” When and where is this effect truly probable? Who would use this in there performing arsenal? Besides the reaction what makes this effect worthy of publication?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Captured (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL