The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Fast Company (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JHNelson
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
120 Posts

Profile of JHNelson
This DVD just came out from Damian Nieman and I thought I'd write a review for it. First of all, if you enjoyed the movie "Shade" this is a great companion piece to the film. The extra's on the 2 DVD set include the trailer for the film as well as outtakes from the film. So there is an appeal to fans of the film.
The first DVD is called "Tools of the Trade" and contains Damian's takes on Riffle shuffling and attitude when handling a deck. He covers a few full deck false shuffles including his touches on the Zarrow and a full deck bridge shuffle. For false deals he touches on the strike second and the bottom deal. The bottom deal is very good. It's not a strike or a push out. Damian calls it a squeeze out bottom. Ironically, although the DVD is called "Fast Company", it is stressed that a lot of these move would not pass in fast company, but they work very well for gambling demonstrations. It does require knowledge of sleight of hand, so I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner to learn magic. But if you want to add something to a gambling deomonstration this has some good sleights to add to your tool box.
Disk 2 covers some specific routines including Triumph, Open Travelers, and Damian's version of Scarne's Aces. It also includes a three card monte routine. It doesn't go into the history of three card monte, but it does teach the basic moves of the hype and the bent corner.
All in all it is a very good DVD for gambling routines and demonstrations. If anyone else has seen this, I'd love to know what you though of it. Check out the trailer at http://www.fastcompanydvd.com
kent1985
View Profile
Regular user
Perth (WA), Australia
148 Posts

Profile of kent1985
Looks really really good man.. I need some of the sleight from that dvd into my repertoire.
DNshade
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of DNshade
Thanks for the kind words JHNelson. Glad you enjoyed the DVDs. Here are some other comments I just saw from the "Latest and Greatest" section:

On 2008-03-11 15:25, brokin6 wrote:

Got mine yesterday and I have to say that this is an extremely well done set of dvd's. The opening is cool and the instructions are very clear. This is the epitome of what a professional magic set should look like. The first disk taught a lot of sleights which I thought I would never find and a lot that I just couldn't figure out without a clear video picture of them. The second disk is full of great effects that just look like miracles. They flow together well and don't look like "effects" at all but like the real thing. I like the Shade gag reel too. Altogether one of the best purchases I have ever made. Thank you!

On 2008-03-11 16:46, Big Jeff wrote:

I just got this and it is very good, I have learned a lot after watching it only once.

On 2008-03-12 00:56, brokin6 wrote:

Clock, This is the kind of DVD that I kind of wish no-one would ever hear of! This, at least to me, is the real deal as far as making a magic routine look like a true gambling demonstration. I more than enjoyed it! This will be the dvd stuck in my player for the next few months. I would like to personally thank everyone involved for releasing the material.

Glad people are enjoying it.

Damian
ghostpianist
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of ghostpianist
Thanks for the reviews. Sounds like something of real quality.
JHNelson
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
120 Posts

Profile of JHNelson
Hey Damian! You've got a great web page for the DVD. That and the embedded trailer was what sold me on your product. I specialize in gambling routines so it's nice to have more sleights in my repetoire. Also This is the only DVD I have the talks about attitude. And that's incedibly important if your portraying a card shark in a routine. I like to do a 3 card monte routine in my shows so I liked to see your touches on it.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1446 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I received this three or four days ago. I was really happy to see some of the work on running cuts and false riffle shuffles, however, the bottom deal tips were worth the price of the set, for me. I also enjoyed the 3 Card Monte segment, especially the ideas on how to keep the spectators' interest.
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
461 Posts

Profile of Clock
Latest Review by Michael Vincent:

Fast Company Review
By Michael Vincent

2 Disc DVD Collection:
$80.00 Plus $8.00 Shipping/Handling Worldwide
Web: http://www.fastcompanydvd.com

Fast Company is a Two Disc DVD Collection of Art Ruse and Subterfuge at the Card Table. The material is superbly presented and executed by Los Angels Card Expert Damian Nieman.

On Disc 1 the contents covers everything you need to know about handling cards in an expert manner from the basic “Shuffles”, “Card Control”, “Slug Controls”, “False Cuts and False Shuffles” featuring a very deceptive touch to enhance “The Zarrow Shuffle”. Damian features his personal and favourite approaches to the “Classic Pass|” as applied to the card table along with detailed work on various “False Deals”. Card Table artifice would be incomplete with some attention paid to “Palming Cards”, this special branch of card handling is given expert attention.

Disc 2 features some interesting thoughts on Cutting the Aces including “Scarne’s Legendary Ace Cutting” routine, “Marlo’s Estimation Aces” and the famous “Steven’s Control” which inspired a very young Dai Vernon back in the 1920s. Also featured are interesting interpretations and handlings on The MacDonald’s Aces, Triumph and The Three Card Monte. Damian concludes with a masterful performance of The Invisible Palm Aces with full explanation.

The bonus section feature out-takes from The Movie “Shade”, in which Damian was chief writer and director. The camera work on this Disc is simply superb and catches the action with fine detail and accuracy.

This DVD collection is an excellent resource because it is very inspiring to watch cards handled in a precise and expert manner. This DVD is not for the beginner, but I would encourage all aspiring card men and women to watch this DVD just so that they get a barometer for excellence and what is possibly with dedication and practise.

Damian Neiman is an expert card handler and his presentation of the material assumes a certain level of prior knowledge but that shouldn’t stop you from gaining something of value from these discs.

I highly recommend this collection.

Michael Vincent

Michael Vincent Productions 2008
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1029 Posts

Profile of in flames
This is on my next to buy list for sure.
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
690 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
Has anyone else had issues with their disks? I hate for my first post to be negative but from Triumph variations onwards, my disc skips straight to the three card monte segment. So, anyone else had similar issues?
Verifythisnow
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Verifythisnow
Really want to pick this up, but unfortunatly it tags on to a long list of 'to buy items' Smile. One day... one day
Verifythisnow
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Verifythisnow
Double post.
MARKC
View Profile
New user
UK
66 Posts

Profile of MARKC
Bobbycash I Had problems with both disks but I got onto Damien and he sorted it out straight away
JHNelson
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
120 Posts

Profile of JHNelson
I haven't had any issues with my copy of the DVD. Both Disks played properly for me. Good to know Damian straightened it out though. He's a stand up guy.
Cheers!
JHN
DNshade
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of DNshade
Quote:
On 2008-03-20 23:06, Bobbycash wrote:
Has anyone else had issues with their disks? I hate for my first post to be negative but from Triumph variations onwards, my disc skips straight to the three card monte segment. So, anyone else had similar issues?

Bobby,

Hey there. If you had a problem with the disks, I'd be more than happy to send you a replacement set. There were a couple of disks that seemed to have a flaw from the duplication company - just the joys of digital replication on a mass level. I replaced those and will do that for you as well. Just let me know.

Damian Nieman
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
690 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
Thank you everyone, I have contacted Damien and he has organised an copy to be sent out, by the way, from the material that I could see, it looked great, have a great easter
Chris Bruce
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
206 Posts

Profile of Chris Bruce
Quote:
On 2008-03-20 23:06, Bobbycash wrote:

My Disc 2 skips from Triumph onwards as well, I thought it was my DVD player but it also skips and then stops playing on both of my computers. That said, Disc 1 was fantastic and the production values are top notch.

Chris
Chris Bruce
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
206 Posts

Profile of Chris Bruce
Damian solved my problem quickly. Kudos (and thanks) go to him.

Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Fast Company (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL