The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Each BEE pack an individual? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

simchamagic
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of simchamagic
Hello,

For my stage manipulations I use red Bee cards. I have noticed, after going through many decks, that it seems as no two Bee decks are exactly the same. Each deck is slightly different - thickness \ hardness \ stiffness \ ease of fanning etc.
For a bit of a sensitive manipulator, such differences are somehow felt (for example: some decks I wont use for 'gentle' manipulations).

Is this a issue for anyone?

Simcha
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
236 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
Simcha, This unfortunately happens with any kind of mass produced deck. Unlike manipulation cards for example that are made for the specific purpose and therefore are better quality controlled than say a bee deck.

There is no simple and easy answer, you just have to work with decks of your choice till you find a suitable one.

Incidentally I don't use bee decks and never have. When I discussed this with a dealer he just couldn't beleive it till I showed him what I use .

Many magicians try to instill on novices that they should use bee decks for manipulation and nothing else. My advice to anyone reading this is to try many different types, normal decks and manip. decks , then stick with the ones that YOU are most comfortable with , nothing else.

Stuart Brown
British Magical Champion
Of Stage Manipulation 2007
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Very good point Stuart.

You might go as far as to mix different types of cards. I use Bees for split fans and Norm Nielsons for single card productions. I use the Bees for split fans because they are heavier and I am very hard on the cards during split fan productions.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Simcha:

Yes, I certainly noticed differences in card stock. That is why, when I purchase BEEs for my act, I try to purchase a handful of decks from the same store and on the same day. This way they then have a better chance of being produced on the same production run and therefore of a similar quality.

I do not damage too many cards during my act so I don't need to purchase too many decks. But if I did, I would look into purchasing the decks by the case so that I would be guaranteed a consistent quality

Levent
simchamagic
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of simchamagic
Stuart,

What a wonderful post, thankyou! You're absolutely right, so many magicians told me years ago to use regular decks that I took that for granted and put back then my many manipulation decks at the bottom of my back drawer...
After what you wrote, I'll get them out, blow off the dust, and give them a try again.
Danny Boy
View Profile
New user
USA
57 Posts

Profile of Danny Boy
I think, in light of this post, that we tend to forget that cards are just like any other prop in our case. We take care of our canes, our candles, and every other contraption, and a well maintained deck is just as important. Take care of the cards just like you would any other prop and you won't be spending so much on cards. I feel so free Smile

Danny
DannyCrook.com
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
421 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Quote:
On 2008-03-12 14:28, stuartmagic wrote:
Simcha, This unfortunately happens with any kind of mass produced deck. Unlike manipulation cards for example that are made for the specific purpose and therefore are better quality controlled than say a bee deck.

There is no simple and easy answer, you just have to work with decks of your choice till you find a suitable one.

Incidentally I don't use bee decks and never have. When I discussed this with a dealer he just couldn't beleive it till I showed him what I use .

Many magicians try to instill on novices that they should use bee decks for manipulation and nothing else. My advice to anyone reading this is to try many different types, normal decks and manip. decks , then stick with the ones that YOU are most comfortable with , nothing else.

Stuart Brown
British Magical Champion
Of Stage Manipulation 2007

Ahhhh. A free thinker. It's like a breathe of fresh air.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Each BEE pack an individual? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL