The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Having a need and passion to be on stage... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Magicians can find a lot of work at parties, restaurants etc. but what about the young magician wanting to get the experience of performing on stage; where are some good places to perform and how do they get the work?

Is it possible to work as an opening act for a local theatre group presenting a play?
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Eddie,

Why not be the "act" at a local theater, instead of the opening act? You'd be suprised how many places exist that do have a stage area for performers.

One of the best places to put on a theater show is contacting your local Arts Council. For the past couple years I have performed theater shows whereas that particular week I'm the featured performer. They hire many other entertainers too..musicians, singers etc.. Magic has always been a popular venue for them.

Most places will charge the public a set ticket price and the performer gets the majority of the monies. (however this may vary from region to region.)

Another way to start stage shows is by building up a corporate clientele. They're the ones that are responsible to book a facility for their special event and most often will book a place with a stage. In turn, as their entertainer for the evening you will have access to do a stage show.

Hotels and Schools are two other places that come to mind as well.

Just make sure that your props and magic are suitable for stage as it's different than closeup. (probably just told you something you already knew :O))

Hope that helped ..and Best of Luck to you!!

Smile
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Thanks for the great info and help! Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Hey, that's a great idea -- opening for a theatre group!
I've never heard of it being done before but there is no reason that it wouldn't work; in fact, it would be ideal, I would think.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Here in the Seattle area we have a monthly magic show every third Monday of the month at a local bookstore that just happens to have a fully functioning stage. The bookstore advertises our program and over the years we have developed a following of sorts. None of the performers are paid but it is a great place to try out new material and obtain stage experience.
Granted this is a unique situation and venues such as this are rare but if you look around you can find performance venues where you least expect them. Old Masonic Temples often have stages and rent out pretty cheaply as do many public schools. Public utilities such as water and electrical offices often have meeting rooms that have stages of a sort as well. The opening for a theatre group is a good idea. Harry Anderson used to present an act for the waiting audiences at Ashland Shakespeare. Festival.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Eddie,

Your welcome! :O) Peter and Payne gave wonderful advice as well. That's the great thing about this Café...lots of helpful information. Again, Good luck and keep us posted. Smile
ScottSullivan
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of ScottSullivan
Arts Councils are great sources of work! I perfom a couple of times a year (at least) for several in my area. They do a lot of theater and music but are really happy to get a variety act and the audiences are usually very good.
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Never thought about that! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Having a need and passion to be on stage... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL