The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » First Time!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
Ok I've been doing close-up magic for about 1.5 years. I also worked at a magic shop this past summer in Philadelphia. I have performed at parties but not officially just if someone asked to see a trick then I would show him/her the trick then I would have a crowd of like 20 some times even 30 but I have never done anything really official and There is an R.A. at my college who wants me to do a show for him. I don't know what to do.....as in the correct balance for effects, I just wanna show all of the tricks I know but that's just not possible and I can't show all of my favorites neither there has to be balance. I was thinking maybe:

1)A "monte" trick - either two-card monte, a three card monte that I do where their chosen card is shown and placed to go among the three cards on the table then they are asked to point to where their card is NOT at two time then the third card is shown to be a joker or blank then their card is produced out of my back pocket. OR classic million dollar monte. or A color monte structured trick
What do you thing of a monte routine??? or maybe a couple of here then theres (both impromptu and dup**cate) right after the monte??
2)dunno--not cards
3)coins - I don't know any good routines

5)invisible deck???
6)dunno--not cards Smile
7)Triumph - to lead into ambitious card
8)ambitious card - with an ending card trick that I made came up with (and I am proud to say that I am taking steps into marketing it but only after about a years more testing PM me if you wanna talk about this)
9)a filler - (not cards) need suggestions good coin routine or something not too crazy want my closer to leave an impression
9)a sankey trick where a card is chosen then the index of a card the wasn't the chosen card is ripped then the ripped card is turned into the chosen card and the ripped pices match perfectly.....YAY!! Smile
10)I was thinking of something really dramatic like John Kennedy's Mid Air Card Stab plus a stab after a ripped card seems right!!!

---let me know what you think then suggestions for the "dunno" listing Smile
Wilberto Casillas
https://phillymagic.com/products/chapslick
Use code at checkout to save: 'cafeslick'
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I think you're really going about this wrong. You have so many dunnos. Am I to understand that this guy wants to hire you for an event? Or does he just want you to sit down and show him some tricks? If you are working at an event, and you are getting paid, you really shouldn't go about it this way. You should never agree for a performance and then say, "Hmm, I wonder what I should do?" "Maybe I should learn a few new tricks for that show this weekend." is really the wrong attitude. Even if it is a free performance for a charity event, you should present yourself as a professional and this is the wrong way. However, if he's just a buddy and wants you to come over to his house and do some tricks for his family or something, there's nothing wrong with just doing whatever you know.
morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
I know many tricks and many coin routines I just don't know what I should do I know so many that I don't know what to do I wouldn't learn them odds are that I've already have.

Posted: Mar 13, 2008 4:58pm
Also the event is for a month from now (not this weekend) and he wants me to put on a close-up show for some of the residents of his dorm. It is free. I just want to know what kind of non card magic would play well for a close-up audience (most likely I will be at a table) of college students.
Wilberto Casillas
morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
Also the event is for a month from now (not this weekend) and he wants me to put on a close-up show for some of the residents of his dorm, it is free. I just want to know what kind of non card magic would play well for a close-up audience (most likely I will be at a table) of college students
Wilberto Casillas
KendallScot
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, Colorado
133 Posts

Profile of KendallScot
I've performed for quite a few college crowds in just the situation you are talking about. Fraternities are a blast to amaze! There are a few pointers I can give:

First, they can be a very tough audience if you come across as trying to “fool” them. Make sure your presentation is as a magician, not a “trickster”

Second, start with a bang! Hit them with a hook routine to get their attention right off. Then, work regular miracles until you end with your biggest bang. I always throw in a few “sucker” tricks to make them think I goofed, then hit them hard with the finish. That goes very well with the college crowd.

Third, do only the routines you have mastered. If you truly mess up in front of them, they can eat you up. Really.. I was doing a show at a Frat house at University of Georgia and completely screwed up a card trick. I think it was McDonalds aces, don’t really remember… it was 30 years ago… Anyway, The second I realized it was beyond salvaging, I threw the cards over my shoulder and said, “Never mind, that trick sucks anyway” and went immediately into the next routine. They thought it was a joke and got a huge laugh out of it. Be prepared for screw-ups.

As for what tricks to perform, that’s up to you and what you do best. Whether cards, coins or rope, just do it well and have fun and the show will rock! I always bring more than I think I'm going to need and run the show depending on the reaction. If the show's going great, I add a few. If not so great, I trim a few. Always have an encore ready as well!

Good luck with it and let us know how it went!

Kendall
Kendall Scot

"The art of a magician is to create wonder. If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives will be filled with joy"
**Doug Henning**

"I drank WHAT?""
**Socrates**
Austin113
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
67 Posts

Profile of Austin113
That's some good advice Kendall's got.

I would say to just have fun with it. College kids are a good crowd for this type of thing.

I would suggest a coin-matrix routine. It packs small and plays huge.
The method is not the secret.
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Morph , you will learn over time " Its not about the trick , Its not about the trick" You need to work on YOU!! How do you present yourself ? Pick the easy trick in the world to perform and make it a story worthy of some ones time. I highly suggest getting Juan Tamariz's Lesson in magic to see exactly what I am talking about. YOU MUST ENTERTAIN not just show off..
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
Wow thank you guys for the advice. Kendall you are sooooo right I've done things at frats before like at a party and things are really easy they are a little drunk and their reactions are amazing that's actually why an R.A. asked to do a show for his dorm residents. Oh, and Paymerich I agree with you too because over the last summer I worked at a magic shop and in the beginning when I would demo tricks people rarely bought things when I presented them I had all of the sleights but no presentation as time passed by I learned how to present from my boss (Irv Furman RIP) and the incoming pros every once in a while so right now my presentation is good I guess it doesn't really matter what I do as long as I have fun am charismatic and just show that I am magical Smile
Wilberto Casillas
morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
HEY GUYS!!!! Every thing went extremely well. I had the crowd going even laughing hysterically at bad jokes Smile There was a big turnout, like 25 people I wowed them with my presentation and just funniness. I must say that I was very nervous at first though. I opened with an I.D. just to get straight to the point and establish my "magicalness":) Also I was so nervous the my ACR presentation in the beginning was very dull and for some reason I froze and forgot what I usually do next then I said what the heck then wowed them all with a Braue PoP-Up and then a folded card to zipper case wallet. I did some coin routines and also 3 card monte was extremely effective because It got the entire audience involved. Also 2 card monte was good it got a lot of laughs and screams. I also did a triumph that led into the ambitious card that fried the audience and had one guy come up to me after the show and say that was amazing, He thought I was using a stripper deck and he said that the "strip-out" never came it was sooo awesome. As for my closer (believe it or not I di STigmata yes stigmata) it did everything I planned it kinda got the whole audience involved and made about 6 people just scream and everyone else pretty much form a jumbled line to touch my arm....Overall it was a success I got a very loud applause and a whole lot of R.A.'s wanted to book me for their last programs. Thank You Guys and hopefully it was the first of many performances for me Smile
Wilberto Casillas
deejaylloyd
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of deejaylloyd
Well done mate!
Keep it up.

Kind Regards,

DeeJay Lloyd
morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
Thanks!!
Wilberto Casillas
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
A real inspiring story. Hope you have a stack more of these!
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » First Time!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL