The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bob Kohler's Rising Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of incompletefaro
Just wanted to check if anyone has any information about Bob Kohler's Rising Cards...

Sanjay
Paul h.
View Profile
Special user
MINDoverMETHOD
528 Posts

Profile of Paul h.
Nothing other than it is brilliant, and unpublished...

Paul h.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6423 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2008-03-13 09:08, Paul h. wrote:
Nothing other than it is brilliant, and unpublished...

Paul h.


Ditto.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of incompletefaro
Has anyone seen a live performance of the effect by Bob Kohler? If yes, any specific differentiator which makes it brilliant?

Sanjay
Paul h.
View Profile
Special user
MINDoverMETHOD
528 Posts

Profile of Paul h.
I have seen it live, Cape Cod Conclave, along with his cylinder and coins--awesome! Got to see Tommy Wonder that year too!

Paul h.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2728 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Saw Bob perform the same time Paul h did. Spoke to him afterward and he's been doing it for a while and no plans to publish.
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of incompletefaro
Is a performance video of the effect available anywhere?

Sanjay
Paul h.
View Profile
Special user
MINDoverMETHOD
528 Posts

Profile of Paul h.
Um, no.

Why even ask if it is unpublished? Fishing trip?

Paul h.
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
So he can watch great magic maybe? We're not always "fishing" for methods?
Paul h.
View Profile
Special user
MINDoverMETHOD
528 Posts

Profile of Paul h.
So watch a great routine that is published...no big deal, same basic stuff out their without Kohler's touches exist. Try to be an individual.

If he wanted it watched it would be on video...makes sense, yes?

Who's we?

Paul h.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Quote:
On 2008-03-14 18:19, Paul h. wrote:
So watch a great routine that is published...no big deal, same basic stuff out their without Kohler's touches exist. Try to be an individual.

If he wanted it watched it would be on video...makes sense, yes?

Who's we?

Paul h.

so your saying magic is not for people to watch any more?
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of incompletefaro
The Rising Cards effect is a classic. My intention was to understand how Bob Kohler has intrepreted the effect. Its the same as trying to see how Michael Ammar or Tommy Wonder or Jason Latimer have intrepreted the Cups & Balls, another classic effect. I have "Magic of Michael Ammar" which details Ammar's routine and I also have "The Books of Wonder" which details Tommy Wonder's routine. According to my understanding, Jason Latimer's Clear Cups & Balls have not been published or if it is published, I don't know the source. Just because Jason's routine is not published, it necessarily does not mean that I shouldnt watch and enjoy his intrepretation of a classic effect. I have watched his performance numerous times on YouTube and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Coming back to the rising cards, I have with me John Northern Hilliard's Greater Magic which details 48 different methods of performing this effect. It is a fascinating read. I have notes which I made from different sources regarding the Rising Cards. I also have some material around Samuel C.Hooker's Rising Cards, without methods. In this context, I am very interested to know how Bob Kohler has approached the subject.

Bob Kohler has put out some great effects. I have a couple of them and I am very satisfied with them. If Bob Kohler does not want any video of his performance of Rising Cards, to be in the public domain, I respect his wish. Paul, considering the fact that you saw the effect live at Cape Cod Conclave, what do you mean by the statement - "So watch a great routine that is published". isn't that a contradiction?

"Fishing Trip?"
If you meant that I am trying to ask others how it works, the answer is an emphatic NO Smile. If I am inclined, I will buy it if Bob Kohler publishes it.

Sanjay
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of incompletefaro
An update from Steve Cohen:

"New magic: The Miraculous Rising Cards
We’re excited to announce the most recent addition to Chamber Magic. For nearly two centuries, The Miraculous Rising Cards has been a source of delight and amazement to thousands, and remains as intriguing as ever.

Las Vegas magician Bob Kohler spent twenty years perfecting this routine, and has granted exclusive rights to Steve Cohen to perform The Miraculous Rising Cards at the Waldorf.

It’s like nothing you’ve ever seen. Come back and be baffled!"

Sanjay
Paul h.
View Profile
Special user
MINDoverMETHOD
528 Posts

Profile of Paul h.
Pal,

You asked for VIDEO TAPE of an unpublished routine, so no, it is not a contradiction. It seems obvious to me that you want to learn from the routine, not watch it and clap your hands. I'm sorry if that make me sound like a jerk.

You said:"My intention was to understand how Bob Kohler has intrepreted the effect"...

I say, create your own interpretation!

Seeing it live is not coming here and asking for tape of said unpublished routine, the end.

Enjoy the routine and I hope you LEARN from it.

Best,

Paul h.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1260 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2008-03-15 10:36, Paul h. wrote:
Pal,

You asked for VIDEO TAPE of an unpublished routine, so no, it is not a contradiction. It seems obvious to me that you want to learn from the routine, not watch it and clap your hands. I'm sorry if that make me sound like a jerk.

You said:"My intention was to understand how Bob Kohler has intrepreted the effect"...

I say, create your own interpretation!

Seeing it live is not coming here and asking for tape of said unpublished routine, the end.

Enjoy the routine and I hope you LEARN from it.

Best,

Paul h.


First, nobody asked for a "video tape" of anything, so that premise of your argument is false.

Second, if you hear that someone has a great version of some effect or routine, can't you just want to see it because you hear it's good?

I don't mean to get in the way of your preaching.
Paul h.
View Profile
Special user
MINDoverMETHOD
528 Posts

Profile of Paul h.
Quote:
On 2008-03-14 06:18, incompletefaro wrote:
Is a performance video of the effect available anywhere?

Sanjay


Maybe if you read the thread, you would have seen this!

Preaching class is over for today!

Paul h.
Paul h.
View Profile
Special user
MINDoverMETHOD
528 Posts

Profile of Paul h.
Josh,

this effect is not for watching on video tape, because of it being an unpublished effect...that is all I meant.

best,

Paul h.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1260 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Paul,

"Video" does not mean "video tape." If I want to see a video of something online, I'm not asking you to send me a VHS tape. Did you really think in the age of DVD and the internet someone was asking to have a video cassette mailed to them?

Even if that was the case, your logic doesn't hold up. Because something is unpublished it's not meant to be watched on video? Many effects are unpublished, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy a performance of them on video.
Paul h.
View Profile
Special user
MINDoverMETHOD
528 Posts

Profile of Paul h.
Magicsquared,

This guy can take any of the work that is already out there, and meant to be on VIDEO "FOOTAGE", to create a powerful routine that will not look just like Bob Kohler's routine.

I am not saying that he will steal any of the work, but lets be realistic. The methods of creating this routine are out there. The presentation should be created with HIS interpretation, not Bob's.

If he is just watching this purely for enjoyment, then so be it.

Sanjay starts out asking for information about the routine. He does not get answers from me or Greg, so he asks what makes it so much better? This does not get him anywhere, so he wants to know if there is footage of it.

What makes this version great is his presentation, period. I'll throw up the same size fence if anyone else wanted to see it too.

No offense intended, Magicsquared.

I'm done with this thread.

best regards,

Paul h.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6423 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Look, guys, I have to agree with Paul. If Kohler wanted it out there he would have done it. I've hung with Kohler a lot. He knows a lot of his ideas, moves, subtleties, and techniques have been stolen by magicians simply "watching" his performances.
He stopped performing his Hold Out for years at the Castle because people were starting to talk.
One person came onto say, "We're not always fishing for methods." Even that statement is psychologically loaded without it meaning to be. It implies that most of the time they are fishing for methods, but maybe not this time. I'm sure he purposely didn't mean it that way, but I'm guessing somewhere internally his mind knows that it happens more often than not.
So, until Bob decides to put it out there then let's just call this CASE CLOSED and move on to things that are published and sold and that we can put our own spin on.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bob Kohler's Rising Cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL