The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bob Kohler's Rising Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of incompletefaro
Hey, this thread is getting a little strong Smile.

Paul: I say, create your own interpretation!

Agreed. If I perform a version of Rising Cards, I will ensure that its my intrepretation. Along with that I will also ensure that my learning does not stop. I will observe and learn from all individuals who take a shot at this effect and add a little more to this classic effect.

Greg: If Kohler wanted it out there he would have done it. I've hung with Kohler a lot. He knows a lot of his ideas, moves, subtleties, and techniques have been stolen by magicians simply "watching" his performances. He stopped performing his Hold Out for years at the Castle because people were starting to talk.

I understand. If magicians are misappropriating Bob Kohler's ideas, moves, subtleties and techniques by watching him perform, then Bob Kohler is justified in keeping his creations protected. I mentioned this earlier, and I want to reiterate it again - If Bob Kohler does not want any video of his performance of Rising Cards, to be in the public domain, I respect his wish. Along with this I would also like to state that if Bob Kohler did not want any magician to see his Rising Cards, then he would not have performed the same in a magicians' convention. And if Greg, Paul and a number of people have watched Bob Kohler's performance by visiting a generic magicians' convention, I believe I am equally qualified to watch the same. The only intention of checking whether a video of the performance exists, is because I do not reside in America.

Last year I was in America and I managed to watch quite a bit of magic - Lance Burton, Mac King, Hans Klok and Penn & Teller. I love the writings of Michael Close. I checked the Houdini Lounge at the Monte Carlo, but they said that he doesn't perform there anymore Smile. I would have watched more magic, if I hadnt got distracted by Zumanity and Crazy Horse Smile. Nearly half or more of the material, these magicians performed are not published. But the same material is available on YouTube and also available for viewing by the public / magicians.

Sanjay
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2008-03-13 05:32, incompletefaro wrote:
Just wanted to check if anyone has any information about Bob Kohler's Rising Cards...

Sanjay

Kindly direct your inquiry to Mr. Kohler directly.
He has a website with email and also can be reached via Private Message (PM) here at the Café.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Mr.Townsend, thanks for your suggestion. The reason I posted this question about the Rising Cards here was to get people discussing about what they have seen / heard about this product. I also expected people to compare / rate the effect and discuss the pros and cons based on what they have seen / heard about this effect. This happens on multiple threads in this Café on a daily basis.

The Forum Rules for "Latest and Greatest" says:
...we are curious and usually have a question or two floating around in the back of our collective heads. Given all that, It is perfectly normal that we can easily imagine what such a product might be like, and what it might do to improve our own magic performances. But, until the item is actually obtainable for purchase, we can only use our imaginations and speculate.

That is the purpose of this forum. To provide a place where folks can discuss the latest rumors, read announcements and speculate about the obvious hyperbole surrounding many of the upcoming products that are released into magicdom. Will they be genuine miracles or mere rhetoric? We ponder the question...

And that's what I did. I wanted to start out a very constructive discussion on this topic.

Sanjay
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2008-03-16 00:14, incompletefaro wrote:
...to get people discussing about what they have seen / heard about this product....

It's a product? Really? Does Bob Know somebody is selling his trick?

today's joke brought to you by the word "presupposition".
...to all the coins I've dropped here
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Day 16
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Mr.Townsend, thanks for your suggestion. The reason I posted this question about the Rising Cards here was to get people discussing about what they have seen / heard about this EFFECT. I also expected people to compare / rate the effect and discuss the pros and cons based on what they have seen / heard about this effect. This happens on multiple threads in this Café on a daily basis.

The Forum Rules for "Latest and Greatest" says:
...we are curious and usually have a question or two floating around in the back of our collective heads. Given all that, It is perfectly normal that we can easily imagine what such a product might be like, and what it might do to improve our own magic performances. But, until the item is actually obtainable for purchase, we can only use our imaginations and speculate.

That is the purpose of this forum. To provide a place where folks can discuss the latest rumors, read announcements and speculate about the obvious hyperbole surrounding many of the upcoming products that are released into magicdom. Will they be genuine miracles or mere rhetoric? We ponder the question...

And that's what I did. I wanted to start out a very constructive discussion on this topic.

Sanjay
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Bob Kohler is ( and has been for many years ) one of the top sleight of hand artsits in the world. I think when his new site launches, we'll see more and more of his creative work released. He has been cautions about sharing material ( and rightly so ).
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I still think this whole thing was blown out of proportion, this thread could have ended by saying, no he has never published the effect, and has never allowed it to be video taped. I don't for a second, think the OP was being malicious in asking, but received angry responses, even-though I'm sure that they where said with good intentions.

not everybody knows every aspect of Kohler as some of you and remember its a open forum. there is no test of what you know to post here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bob Kohler's Rising Cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL