The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Prop free mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SM41
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of SM41
Hi,

Im really interested in prop free mentalism, just because in my own way of seeing it, I think it is the real mentalism.

Luke Jermay, in his book 3510 developed a full chapter to the subject.

But in "tricks or effects" I havent found much about this.

Any prop-free effect that you want to recommend?

Many thanks
Meng
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere in Germany I wrote
128 Posts

Profile of Meng
In chapter three (prop free mentalism) in his book 3510 Luke wrote:

"My actual "prop-free" stage performance is featured in its own right in the "effects" section in this book. If I found myself in such a situation this is exactly what I would do and is is explained in detail later in this book."

Unfortunately it is not explained later in the book. It is one of the many missing parts of 3510. I hope one day there will be a supplement that contains this information.
vai
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of vai
I thought "touching on hoy" was Luke's prop free performance ?
Check out my releases at http://stores.lulu.com/mentalism
Meng
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Meng
I contacted penguin magic some time ago and asked for this "prop-free" performance. They said there will be a supplement that will contain all the missing information. So I don't think it is "touching on hoy". Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it is missing.
Miikka
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
160 Posts

Profile of Miikka
Hey Meng,

Did PenguinMagic say there will be another supplement which will cover all the missing stuff, or did they mean the one that has already been released?

I have downloaded supplement #1 and in the end of the pdf Luke says there will be atleast a second one, so let's see what happens.

Hope there will be more stuff, and especially more things about Luke's approach to "prop-free mentalism"

Miikka
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12447 Posts

Profile of John C
Search the Café there is a ton of stuff on this topic
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Meng
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Meng
Quote:
On 2008-03-14 18:40, Miikka wrote:
Hey Meng,

Did PenguinMagic say there will be another supplement which will cover all the missing stuff, or did they mean the one that has already been released?

I specifically asked for the mentioned prop free performance.
They answered that the first supplement contains most of the missing items, but not all!
As far as I understand this, there will be a second supplement with the prop-free stuff. The question is when!
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I go for normal, everyday objects to serve as props because they do not attract much attention. No props would be nice, but if I didn't need any props, then I would actually possess incredible powers. Consequently, I would not spend the time I do on here trying to learn more.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
vai
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of vai
Quote:
On 2008-03-14 20:00, robwar0100 wrote:
...........if I didn't need any props, then I would actually possess incredible powers..............

Bobby

au contraire

I'm sure if you think through your routines then you can find some which don't require props. If you don't have any then I thoroughly recommend searching the café for some of the threads on this topic.

Just to get you started :

Banachek's ring of truth from psychological subtleties

Jermay's touching on hoy which I mentioned here and several effects from "7 deceptions" (for andruzzi is a favourite of mine)

Derren Brown's "invisible deal" work on the devil's picturebook

Banachek's PK touches

There's an awful lot of material which can be performed without any props whatsoever. Its worth looking into just to be prepared if someone asks you to perform at an unexpected moment.

All the best

Vai
Check out my releases at http://stores.lulu.com/mentalism
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Why would you perform at an unexpected moment?
(A bit of magico thinking. C'mon man grow a bit.)

In my opinion if you do anything but some sort of reading on the spur you diminish who you are and what you do.

J ack

H.o._a-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10626 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I like bizarre props - but that is why I am not a mentalist according to some definitions.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
And that is why I like ya Doc.
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10626 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Ditto, Paranormal one!
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2051 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
There are other reasons to have prop-free material ready, other than to be people's on-demand performing monkey (which I agree is no good).

In addition to the suggestions already made, I would add Patrick Redford's "Prevaricator," and then once you've got a feel for it, Jerome Finley's "Thought Channel." I also have a propless piece of my own which will be published soon-ish. (And when it is, I'll be sure to resurrect this thread so I can pimp it properly.)
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Quote:
au contraire ...

Vai,

Thanks for your feedback. Would you develop a whole act without props?

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Barthlbey
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Quebec
19 Posts

Profile of Barthlbey
In my opinion muscle-readings are the best prop free effect you could come by. Totally impromptu and the possibility are endless. You can pretty much reproduce any effect in mentalism with it. They are personally my favorites routine and what comes closer to real mind-reading.

Vai , but you need a ring for the ring of truth !! ;-)
If I had a nickel for everytime I was wrong, I'd be broke
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10626 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Oh BTW the classic DYNAMITE MENTALISM (and similar books like Naked Mentalism, Mind Reading) etc. is DYNAMITE
SM41
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of SM41
Thanks for all the replies!

Ill try the things you tell me.
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2104 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2008-03-14 23:23, Dr Spektor wrote:
Oh BTW the classic DYNAMITE MENTALISM (and similar books like Naked Mentalism, Mind Reading) etc. is DYNAMITE

I second this, bigtime. Also highly recommend Ted Karmilovich's "No Prop Nightclub Act". Jermay has a variation on this, as well.
SM41
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of SM41
Whats BTW?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Prop free mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL