The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Prop free mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
BTW: By the way...or 'another thought in passing'

If you think about it (which is always nice) many of the Prop 'tricks' are based on a 'principle' which can be simulated or altered to be prop free or at the least use a few objects that are on the person of the 'victim'(spec).
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Plus, what is seen by the audience as "prop free" may be, in reality not be entirely true...
I've asked to be banned
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2008-03-14 16:31, Santiago Michel wrote:
Hi,

Im really interested in prop free mentalism, just because in my own way of seeing it, I think it is the real mentalism.

A man after my own heart! This is exactly the thinking behind Naked Mentalism Smile
vai
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of vai
The very reason I looked into prop free effects was so that I would not diminish who I am and what I do.

There are times when I do not expect to be performing and at those times I will not have any props or anything with me. I present what I do with a pseudo psychological false explanation and as such, many of the props I use are not supposed to be seen as integral to the effect.

Due to the way I present what I do, there would be no logical reason to refuse a polite request of a demonstration. One of the positive aspects of the way I present my performances is that I can use a "mind game" or intriguing psychological quirk by way of a demonstration without compromising my performance aesthetic. By combining these with one or two of the "prop free" routines I have in my repertoire then I can confidently give a strong performance without any prior preparation.

Obviously if I were aware that I may be asked to perform something then I would make necessary preparations and bring any necessary props.

I understand that your circumstances are different Jim, and that your performances require much more thought and preparation. I admire you for that and completely agree that in your situation, I would most probably restrict myself to a reading.

All the best Smile

Vai
Check out my releases at http://stores.lulu.com/mentalism
malkav
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of malkav
What would your character do on a moments notice without props? I am a computer security guy in real life, so my character is that on crack.

Last night at a bar, someone who had seen me perform asked me to do a few things.

I did the memory stunt from 13 S, and a effect using a NW.

Define your character, and propless effects will pop up.
Athos
View Profile
Elite user
NADO - Mind reader
481 Posts

Profile of Athos
Suggestion, Psychological forces and Cold reading is the stuff that I use.

I made up a small repertoire of effects that I created that are anywhere anytime. Still working on some effects.

~Max
NADO
«How much of a gift it would be to really know what someone is thinking of?»
- Steeve Blanchet, news anchor, TVA
«Here is someone that truly uses his powers for good.»
- David Meclomesnil, weekend radio.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
In a World gone propless and covered in CA ineptitude...
Only one team can be called on to
deliver the pay load to a planet gone soft...
PSYCH FORCE! (explosive sound fx)

Beyond Black Ops, PSYCH FORCE is the deep cover unit of H.O.A-X

Tumultuous Excitement! The screen explodes like never before!

PSYCH FORCE...coming soon in 3-D!

"Level Heads Will Prevail"
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
I think people are confusing prop free with on-the-fly impromptu.

Luke's chapter on prop-free mentalism addresses what "prop free" means in terms of the audiences perception. Not the performers perspective.

Big difference.

Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Yep...borrowing a few objects from the spec is not exactly proppy.
will4gzus
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of will4gzus
Rick Maue's "Imagine" and Jerome Finlay's "The Thought Channel", the latter which may no longer be available. They are strong pieces but do take quite a bit of practice and presentation is key. I believe serious effort should go into both before actually pefroming them, they are true gems worthy of the effort.
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
John Riggs may have something you're looking for, sounds similar though ...its called Fat Free Mentalism

But if really think about it strictly, by prop-free, you're either a great psychologist or hypnotist or *** lucky. I think its worth mastering some basic stuff. I don;t believe and I don't think so that Prop-Free mentalism can equal that of "self-working"
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
I think Nike put it best...

"Just do it..."

J
xxx
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2008-03-15 02:23, gabelson wrote:

I second this, bigtime. Also highly recommend Ted Karmilovich's "No Prop Nightclub Act". Jermay has a variation on this, as well.

Could you please tell me the name of Jermay's version and/or which book it is in?
:)
SM41
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of SM41
Its on his manuscript Three cheers for the underrated.

Its a limiteon manuscript from Jermay, and IMHO I consider it one of the best routines he ahs released.

Contact him:

luke_jermay@yahoo.com
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2008-04-26 18:18, Santiago Michel wrote:
Its on his manuscript Three cheers for the underrated.
Its a limiteon manuscript from Jermay, and IMHO I consider it one of the best routines he ahs released.
Contact him:
luke_jermay@yahoo.com

Thanks for the info
:)
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
I'm really into Wayne Houchin's CONTROL. Also simple muscle reading. If it's one on one, for a spooky effect I do the old Angel/Devil on the Shoulder routine. And for a laugh w/ a crowd I still do the Angel/Devil routine. I don't think that would really count as Mentalism -- but it is prop free. There's also Psuedo Hypnosis effects. I really like the Feats of Srength hypnosis effects. There's also Derren Brown's Lift.
I'm really in love w/ Pocket Writing now. I can't believe it took me so long to get to it. W/ that knowledge and quick trip to Walmart I'm safe to do all the 'sometimes they work, sometimes they don't' effects, like Psychological Forces.
Rob-ing you of your thoughts www.themindofrobert.weebly.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Prop free mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL