The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Naked Zombie Ball DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
AlexanderYan
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of AlexanderYan
Just saw it myself, but it looks pretty incredible.

-AY
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2215 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I liked the clip but it looks so far away and it does say it's for stage. Can you all tell how much is mime with the "secret" of the zombie ball and how much it "appears" that it goes away from you?
skinnyJon
View Profile
New user
Upstate New York
42 Posts

Profile of skinnyJon
Looks like contact juggling mixed with mime, a nice magical routine.
thefliss
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of thefliss
"a complete routine for the Zombie using no Cloth and no Zombie Gimmick" makes me think it's contact juggling too
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I loved Raymond's "8-ball Tango" act, but I think I'm going to pass on this one.
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
I watched this last night and it is superb. It's a zombie routine without the zombie gimmick or cloth.. thus a free floating ball routine. It looks fabulous. This is perfect for those times when lighting is a problem. Raymond takes you through every little step to maximize the illusion including basic (but strong) exercises for some mime movements to make the illusion more convincing. When I saw Bill Abbott's "The Thing" I thought... wow... GREAT idea/routine. When I saw this I thought the same thing. I would suggest it EVEN to those doing a standard zombie routine as he has some handling and presentational ideas that will significantly strengthen your existing routine. Many of the floating ideas can be applied to other routines as well (check out Irv Weiner's Dancing Egg routine in Encyclopedia of Egg Magic... I saw him do this many years ago and it was true magic). Recommended for strong, practical magic and thinking.

Tim Trono
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I watched the clip several times as it's so beautifully done. He gives a great illusion of the ball being heavy. Having it pass through the ring is so clever.

Raymond Crowe is a very talented performer and thinker.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
I'm pretty sure it was Raymond Crowe who I saw perform at Magic Live last year and he was outstanding.
thefliss
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of thefliss
Quote:
On 2008-03-18 03:01, Josh Chaikin wrote:
I loved Raymond's "8-ball Tango" act, but I think I'm going to pass on this one.

I had no idea what you were talking about; enter youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s5YPO66ZWE
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
The “illusion” was both good and bad for me.

At times this routine seemed like magic, at other times it was
too obvious what was going on.

Same affect on me as someone doing the “dancing cane” for too long.

But this routine did get me thinking.
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
A lot of talent and a great deal of work went into that. I suspect it requires a bit more than most are willing to give.
"Don't run with those..."
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
One of the real strengths of this DVD is to get you, the performer, thinking about how a true levitation would actually look. Raymond understands this and teaches it very well (ex. in some of the mime exercises, in the discussion of weight, etc.). Far too often I see floating/levitation effects such as the zombie and I just don't "buy" that the object is floating (with exceptions such as Losander, Tommy Wonder, Al Schneider, etc.) - whether you use Raymond's routine as is or just some of the thinking he imparts on making it more believable I think this is a very valuable DVD.

Tim Trono
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
421 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
I'm a big fan of Raymond Crowe. What he does is very special.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
This DVD is truly excellent. I was particularly impressed by Ray's use and teaching of mime techniques. He is one of the finest Zombie manipulators I know and I can honestly say you can all learn a great deal from his work. I was very honoured to get to preview this before it was released and of course I loved it. This is some really good stuff!

Jeb
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Slappy
View Profile
Loyal user
North Hollywood, CA
257 Posts

Profile of Slappy
Thanks for sharing your opinion, Jeb. I was wondering where you came down on this..
"Help, I've got a silver ball stuck on my thumb"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I think it is a very nice and magical looking routine that can be done as shown or you can take components of it and perform it as a quickie. It isn't contact juggling but I think the belief that it is is actually a compliment to the performer. Raymond does an excellent job teaching the moves and if I was going to find anything bad to say I'd say that when I hit play all chapters it jumped past the performance so I had to go back and check it out.

The real value though is Raymond goes into some aspects of mime and movement. I'm not a mime but I trully believe that the little bit of mime training I did get in the 70s, when everyone did mime, helped make me a better magician. Movement is so important in making magic more effective and Raymond is as good as anyone I've ever seen.

My review will appear later but I think this is the best use of a zombie ball I've seen and a routine that I think people who don't have the rythm to pull off the traditional zombie can perform. It isn't a long DVD, he does his routine, which is about the right leangth, and explains it...nothing more, nothing less, and also his mime info. Also it is nicely shot with a good camera and the sound is good.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I watched this and was really impressed. The routine looks magical and there are parts that fooled me. As magicians we have a hint of the work behind this (although not 100%, trust me,) but laymen will not have a clue.

I was also impressed to finally see a well produced DVD. This wasn't shot in some kid's garage or at the kitchen table, but on an actual stage with proper lighting and professional camera work.

And, enough has been said here about his teaching. It is, in a word, superb. You can always watch it again, so he doesn't waste time going over and over the same thing, but he does take enough time to assure that you see the move in great detail and that you hear his explanation clearly and in a pleasant fashion.

It really is one of the best magic videos/DVD's I have ever seen. As someone else said, I doubt that many will really work this out. It's one of those routine that is mechanically dead easy to do; but it's the nuances and little details of movement, expression and even breathing that make it look so very good when he does it. Most won't give those parts the attention they deserve, choosing to just start bouncing the ball around. The last time I saw animation look this good was Irv Weiner and his Dancing Egg.

It reminds me of the classic Slydini story about his student who came in for his first session and Slydini discussed with him the very basics of misdirection and went on about how they would begin by studying that alone. So, the kid comes back for his next lesson the following week and says, "Okay, I've got misdirection down now, so what's next?" Even if you don't learn it, it is really worth your attention.
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
I have to say that was as close to real magic I have ever seen . A true piece of art.
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1545 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I enjoyed it very much.
And now the inevitable question!
Does anyone know where a suitable zombie ball can be found?
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Naked Zombie Ball DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL