The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Table full of Hecklers!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
This clip should be of some help. Pay particular attention at section 1:05...

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=0fSnTVJxgxI

;)
mysto59
View Profile
Loyal user
Bethalto, Illinois
264 Posts

Profile of mysto59
Quote:
On 2008-03-16 21:10, BIlly James wrote:
This clip should be of some help. Pay particular attention at section 1:05...

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=0fSnTVJxgxI

;)

LOLOLLOL
It's not the size of the wand that matters, it's the "magic" in it...
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2008-03-16 14:41, Jaz wrote:
Since the whole table was heckling you may not be able to ease the heckling.

"Excuse me but you've succeeded in making it impossible for me to continue. Have a nice evening."
Leave.

There are a few different types of heckling, all handled differently.
Type 'hecklers' in the Café search.

Agree,if they don't have education with you,show YOU your education to the group,show you are a professional...if you don't note, at the end they feel bad about ruining your job,
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2225 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
One of the best things about walk around magic is you can WALK to the next table whenever you want.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
802 Posts

Profile of meyegr
This is why I am always packing - I just let them know I am going to show them a rare treat: The bullet to the head -
Once word gets around the heckling stops.

Seriously - the hecklars are no more invasive than the magic was. Why do we blame the hecklers? Just walk on . . .
DJBrenton
View Profile
Regular user
Midlands, England
129 Posts

Profile of DJBrenton
I wouldn't have known how to deal with hecklers had I not joined this site. Now, I break off from the trick, demand a tip, then staple a business card to their forehead whilst shouting one of my competitors names at them. It does seem to shut them up.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Birds of a feather, flock together. Better to have one table full of jerks, than have them spread out throughout the other tables. Feel fortunate only one table was painful. One bad apple at each table could have spoiled the entire evening....

Ken
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Hecklers can be a tough group to deal with. Friends out with friends and a little bit of liquor makes for a bad night. If your effects aren't flawless, then they will see right through them. Also, the hardest thing for a crowd to get over is someone they feel is being fake with them. If they threw you a curveball, and you just stayed on your practiced presentation, they will eat into it. I'm not saying morally degrade them, but if you want to try to fight with them, prepare to throw fire back. I'm not of the school to try and pick battles with spectators, but there are books that address the issue of comebacks that might come in handy.

Here's how I have handled a table in the past. I was doing my ACR and the guy kept saying things like, "You are doing something to get it to the top. You're just to fast, but I know what you are doing." Not heckling persay until he tried to take the deck from me. I had some magicians wax on my cardbox so I stole it off while he was trying to explain to his friends that I was sneaking the card out of the deck and to the top. I controlled the card to the bottom and did a bottom palm and gave him the deck. I placed my hands behind my back and put the wax on the back of the card. I asked him to turn over the top card of the deck. He laughed and said I wasn't a real magician. I mentioned that sometimes the effects don't work on narrow minded people, then I placed my hand on his shoulder. As soon as my hand was on his shoulder, I told him that my mind is so narrow that you have to turn sideways to walk through it. I didn't want him to feel threatened, especially since he had the chosen card stuck to his back.

I thanked them and walked away with them laughing about me not finding the card. About 20 minutes later I heard the whole table roaring as they saw the card on his back.

There are always ways to deal with it, just don't lose your cool.

D
do magic

www.8bom.net
magico563
View Profile
Veteran user
UK, sheffield.
381 Posts

Profile of magico563
The thing I find funny some times is that you introduce yourself to the table and everyone seems real nice and there is one person that you find to be a good person but then when you start performing to them, they suddenly turn into this monster that cant been seen enjoying themselves when watching magic and there personality totally changes!!

Thanks for all the help guys; I will see how things go Smile

Thanks again, magico563 Smile
C.W.G.
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of C.W.G.
Just my two cents here...

First of all I stick to Kentons rule of when approaching a table, try to impress the guy they are all looking at or talking to, win him over and they are all on side.

But if you do get a heckler I make a point of making him look like an ***, if he grabs the deck I just smile and pretend its the funniest thing ever and that that's what I wanted, then when I get it back, smile away and just say "he's brilliant, I'll let him carry on entertaining you" and walk straight off to another table.

Or if someone is just heckling you, STOP mid effect and walk off without saying a word. This baffles everyone at the table and unsettles them, just remember to keep smiling at all times.

Brad Christian (I'm not ashamed to say some of my earlier DVDs were his) made the point that your magic is too important to you to let some loser spoil it just because he is "mentally irregular". The most important thing to know is no matter how good you are, you'll NEVER win over a heckler, they don't want to be won over and would never admit to being impressed by you. And the longer you engage with such fools, the more they can bring you down and ruin your night.

And might I offer you this NLP technique to rid you of your bad memory of the gig (this is a classic).

Imagine the heckler standing about 10 feet away from you... naked. Also see a huge glass window between the two of you. The heckler is pooing into his own hand and flinging it toward you as hard as he can, only he'll never realise that his poo will stay on his side of the window, stinking up his world, thus making him throw more poo at everyone else he see's because he is so angry. All you have to do is maybe pity him and know that you can look away whenever you want, and realise that he is going to be stuck there all his life.

(Mods please leave this post be as the words are not offensive and I want the guys to get the benefit of the technique.... Ta)
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
621 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Truth good visual, honestly, that sums it up in a lot of ways.

I have one heckler story that I cant share because in mere words it would not acuratly depict the event. Long story short, the world moves on, either you are better or worse for it depending on what you take away. In table hopping a heckler can far worse than in a big group. Often times my intro consists of "if you like this trick feel free to clap and ill show you some more but if you don't like it say thanks, shake my hand, and ill be off" no one has ever sent me off. At last that gives them the option I guess.

Anton
morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
If there was an Ultimate Heckler my Uncle Tony would be him. I'd have my family going at like Christmas and then bang he walks in and stares at my hands doesn't listen to a word I say and just ruins most tricks but not because he guesses right but because he brings down the mood. But one Xmas I came prepared I had an I.D. and a Queen of Hearts that was folded and I put his name on the back of it and put it in my pocket. Well just like always he started being an a** then I just stopped mid-routine said okay Uncle Tony just name one card.....HE NAMED THE QUEEN OF HEARTS (score)...I went in my pocket and said here I have something with your name on it I handed it to him smiled and continued with the trick I was in the middle of...It took a few seconds then he showed every1 the card he smiled than said "How the f*** did you do that?" Ever since then he just shut up and watched my magic and actually enjoyed it
Wilberto Casillas
https://phillymagic.com/products/chapslick
Use code at checkout to save: 'cafeslick'
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
If they don't want to be entertained, don't entertain them.

The first time laugh it off, the second time walk away.

Unless you're Penn and Teller..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p6DOktFhx4
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
P.S. Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz has a great chapter on hecklers and audience management.
C.W.G.
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of C.W.G.
Brilliant clip John... Cheers.
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
What a way to deal with a heckler!
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I enjoyed the clip...HOWEVER...

What we see Penn do is what we all WISH we could do...and that is turn the heckler around and get him to enjoy our show or be impressed with our skill. The guy in Penn's clip (I'm guessing a paid part of the show) is an A$swhole who by the end of Penn doing this and then that, is now impressed and applaudes and it's concluded with a handshake.

HOW NICE would this be if we could all do this. My thing, is I would hate for a young one to be watching this and think that "if I just work harder and do more impressive things, I'll win this guys respect."

The best way to handle it is LEAVE QUICKLY and don't put up with it!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
C.W.G.
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of C.W.G.
I whole heartedly agree with Lyle...
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Same *** could advice in this thread. I test out my effects on a close mate from university, if it gets the OK from him I show his mates as well. This really is the test of all tests for me as they are all Applied Science Students (exercise science) just like myself, so if it goes down well with them that covers a big demographic.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
HowaboutBob
View Profile
New user
south of atlanta
54 Posts

Profile of HowaboutBob
Stop, bid them good day, and walk. There are plenty of people who want to play nice. Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Table full of Hecklers!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL