The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » News Release: Soapy Smith Was Murdered! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Soapy Smith
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Soapy Smith
It seems most every "outlaw" in the old west who died violently has a controversial death attached to their story. Did they really die? Who really killed them? Well, Soapy Smith is no exception.

My publisher has asked me to begin talking publicly about the controversial shooting of my great grandfather, Soapy Smith. Not in detail mind you, but as a teaser for my up-coming book. Most historians who write about Soapy Smith comment about the "second shooter" and many agree that Frank Reid was not the man who killed Soapy Smith even though the Skagway newspapers state otherwise. So who do I think killed Soapy?

The man's name was Jesse Murphy, one of the four guards on the wharf (Reid, Tanner, Murphy, Landers) to block Soapy's entrance into the vigilante meeting on the night Soapy was killed (July 8, 1898).

Witnesses, including J. Tanner, one of the guards who became the new US Deputy Marshal. wrote about what they saw and then quickly became silent about it. Fortunately for us, Tanner had already informed the commander of the NWMP, Sam Steele, in writing just hours after witnessing him do it, that Murphy was the one who had shot Soapy and not Reid.

MURDER!

From witness accounts Soapy Smith had a Winchester (model 1892, .44-40) rifle and after briefly exchanging gunfire with Frank Reid (both being wounded) Reid fell to the ground (probably unconscious). Murphy then wrestled the rifle away from Soapy and turned it on him, executing Soapy with his own rifle with a shot to the chest.

The credit for the death of Soapy was given to Frank Reid for political reasons. In Skagway, Alaska where this all occurred federal troops had been threatening martial law, so as had happened when Jack McCall murdered Wild Bill Hickok and the subsequent mock trial in Deadwood, S.D. in 1876, it was decided to publish that Soapy and Reid had killed each other rather than have martial law take control from the victorious vigilantes who now ruled supreme.

Accounts of her husbands real death were secretly disclosed to her by friends of Soapy's when she and my grandfather went to Skagway to collect the estate in August 1898 (less than a month after the shoot-out).

...needless to say there are details to this story that I am not releasing at this time, pending publication of my book.

Jeff Smith
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15713 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks Soapy, I love this sort of stuff.

Good on you.

Tommy.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Soapy Smith
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Soapy Smith
Hi, Tommy. Glad you enjoyed it.

Jeff
h2o
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of h2o
Hello Jeff, what exactly is about the book you're going to release? I mean, will it be the complete life story of Soapy Smith?
Soapy Smith
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Soapy Smith
Hi. h2o,

The book will be about his entire life. The criminal side started early so it is pretty exciting (my opinion) from the start.

Soapy considered himself a businessman and from a young age saved perhaps most of everything he had ever written. We are talking thousands of letters, notebooks and documents written to and from Soapy, none of which have been published. I am utilizing all of his writings as well as contemporary newspaper accounts of his crimes, adventures, and those of the infamous Soap Gang.

I may be a descendant but I do not pretend that he was one of the good guys. I will expose in detail all the truths and myths (good and bad) of the man, his various businesses and personal experiences. This is twenty years in the making and blows all other biographies out of the water.

Jeff Smith
card cheat
View Profile
Elite user
426 Posts

Profile of card cheat
This sounds great.

I rarely look forward to reading much of anything these days, but am eager to read this book you have worked so hard on.

Thanks for the primer,

CC
h2o
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of h2o
Thanks Jeff.
Keep us informed when you're going to officially release your book.
magician8
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of magician8
Sounds really interesting,

silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Jeff, are you prepared for the Frank Reid backlash?

There are a lot of folks who've been telling the same story around Alaska and Yukon for a very long time now, and in all those stories it's always been Frank Reid who shot Soapy.

I, for one, am definitely looking forward to your book!

Next, you'll have to get the 500 tour guides in Yukon and Alaska to stop telling the Frank Reid story, and start telling the Jesse Murphy story!

Please keep us informed on the book........what is the rough release date?
Soapy Smith
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Soapy Smith
Hi, silverking.
yes, I am ready for the Frank Reid backlash. Actually I look forward to some lively debates on the matter. I actually get a number of tour guides writing me for more information. In Skagway a large number of the "old-timers" have always known that Reid did not kill Soapy. At the 1998 symposium on "Who killed Soapy Smith," it was unanimously agreed by the panel that Reid did not kill Soapy.

The book was to be out this summer but the publisher and I are still deep editing. We communicate weekly. I will surely post a date when I can pin him down for one. The publisher received this work in 2006. The book has come a hell of a long way since then but even at that time, he wrote,

"I think you have a legitimate right to be proud of the work you have done on the manuscript. Its substantive and comprehensively indexed and footnoted. You've put a hell of a lot of work into the manuscript, and it shows to a very good effect. I have a sense that by the time it is finished, it's not only going to shine brightly but also sing sweetly." (7/24/2006)
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1607 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
More relavent to this, crowd are you prepared to deal with the Alexander/Pantaginus backlash ?
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
Soapy Smith
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Soapy Smith
HA! I had no idea there was a "crowd" for that notion.

As much as I would love to include Conlin as a member of the Soapy Smith gang in Skagway, I have yet to see any hard evidence he was even there. I already cover that "story" on my Soapy Smith website.

Jeff Smith
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
The Alexander stuff is utter crap and absolutely invented "research".
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1607 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I have never heard the late John Pomeroy described as anything less than an honest, carefull historian. If he came to the conclusion that Conlan (Alexander"The Man Who Knows") was somehow involve, I am sure it wasn't on the baises of "invented research". However it is hard to know what that was, as he didn't live to write his book. David Charuet did not produce the kind of footnoted text we would have gotten from Pomeroy. Worse still he has not returned the extensive notes that his book is based on. Mr Chauet clames to have bought them, friends of Mrs Pomeroy disagree. Surely Mr Pomeroy was aware of Jesse Murphy, the story has been in print at least since 1941, and is common lore in Alaska. You speak of eyewitnesses, do you have anyone other than Mathew Sundeen ?
I am looking foward to your book, I hope it includes something new about the Cardiff Giant.
David Sweeney
Memphis, TN.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
Soapy Smith
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Soapy Smith
Hi, ringmaster (David).

You wrote, "I am sure it wasn't on the biases of "invented research."

The invented research that John Pomeroy did indeed tell me was that there had been computer analyzation work done between photographs of Conlin and a man in Soapy's saloon and that it came back 100% positive. There was no such work done. The congratulations letter that I sent to John was my gullibility in believing that he had been truthful with me. He never mentioned to me once that he thought Conlin had killed Soapy. That letter I sent to John is the one Charvet uses in his book to indicate that I agree that Conlin killed Soapy Smith. I apologize to those who might feel that I am wrong in "accusing/attacking" one who is no longer with us, but as long as my name is continuing to be used out of context in that book then I will continue to use what information I have available. I have talked with Charvet in the past and I must say I am surprised he kept my name and letter in the second edition. In my opinion the least he should have done was include a rebuttal from me. Is there anyone out there that actually believes Conlin killed Soapy?

You wrote, "Surely Mr Pomeroy was aware of Jesse Murphy..."

If John knew of the Jesse Murphy story he said nothing to me about it. If I recall, he knew very little about Soapy. His interest were in Conlin.

You wrote, "the story has been in print at least since 1941, and is common lore in Alaska."

No on both comments. The story of Jesse Murphy came out in 1898 but was not believed by most. It would be decades later, when deputy marshal Tanner's letters were discovered. The story was published several times by witnesses before Sundeen's article, but never became "common lore in Alaska."

You asked if there were other witnesses? Read my original post that speaks of Tanner.

You wrote, "I am looking forward to your book, I hope it includes something new about the Cardiff Giant."

Thank you David. The Cardiff Giant was Barnum's petrified man. Soapy's was called "McGinty," and was a far superior faked petrified man. One surviving photograph taken in Denver clearly shows the two are not the same. Yes, I have lots of new information on "McGinty," In fact...MCGINTY STILL EXISTS!

Jeff Smith
magician13
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of magician13
Sounds pretty good
I like that sort of stuff... keep us informed about this new release
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15713 Posts

Profile of tommy
I know how Mister Patrick McGinty died;
He sat by the fireside, he didn't give a hang, swallowed a spark and exploded and exploded with a bang. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24207 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-03-23 20:10, ringmaster wrote:
I have never heard the late John Pomeroy described as anything less than an honest, carefull historian. If he came to the conclusion that Conlan (Alexander"The Man Who Knows") was somehow involve, I am sure it wasn't on the baises of "invented research". However it is hard to know what that was, as he didn't live to write his book. David Charuet did not produce the kind of footnoted text we would have gotten from Pomeroy. Worse still he has not returned the extensive notes that his book is based on. Mr Chauet clames to have bought them, friends of Mrs Pomeroy disagree. Surely Mr Pomeroy was aware of Jesse Murphy, the story has been in print at least since 1941, and is common lore in Alaska. You speak of eyewitnesses, do you have anyone other than Mathew Sundeen ?
I am looking foward to your book, I hope it includes something new about the Cardiff Giant.
David Sweeney
Memphis, TN.

Who is David Charuet?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Please tell me you didn't just come in here and revive a thread that's been dead for over two weeks just to point out a misspelled name.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Ha, good point vandy. on other boards I frequent (non magic) someone will just type "bump" (as in bump up), and that topic will be at the top of the list-either as a trick to make someone think something important was posted, or as a way to garner attention to the board.

regards, kevin
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » News Release: Soapy Smith Was Murdered! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL