The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Jonracherbaumer.com (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
Hi everyone,
I have been thinking about joining jonracherbaumer.com with Premium Membership. I just wanted to know if anybody else here belongs to the site and what to expect? I have heard mixed reviews in the past.

Thanks

John
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Don't let the reviews mix you up.

JR has more good stuff on that site than you can shake a stick at. Join, join now. Many excellent works are available as pdfs. There is not a better deal in card magic.
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
I was a member a few years ago. There is great stuff on Jon's website. That said, he's been extremely inconsistent about updating the website. Some of this is due to stuff beyond anyone's control (e.g., hurricane Katrina), but updates were inconsistent even before that. When I signed up, the promise was that all of Marlo's riffle shuffle manuscripts would be posted on the site within the year (this was the major reason I joined). By the time my membership had expired, 1 1/2 had been posted (the complete first manuscript and the second manuscript without illustrations).

I know some people will respond by saying that subscribers should be more than satisfied with what's already available. Again, it is great stuff, but it's not what was promised to subscribers. What was promised was all of the available material plus monthly updates plus the complete riffle shuffle trilogy plus other publications (faro-controlled miracles, etc.). That wasn't what was delivered.

If you go in knowing that and you still think membership is worth the price, you won't regret signing up.
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I'm a huge fan. Great stuff all around.
C-Taylor
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of C-Taylor
It is a great site.. I have been a member for a year. The only problem I have is you cant contact anyone Iv sent numerous emails requesting my info cause I forgot it and its been over a month and still no reply. that's my only complaint.
"theres a lot of good card magic in that book, unfortunately you have to have skill to do most of it." Smile
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2874 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
This is one of the best deals in magic. Get a premium membership. The ebook downloads are well worth the price of admission alone. Spend some time downloading all the ebooks and manuscripts etc. Go to the archive where you can get access to all the past tricks and freebie etc. Even the freebie is worthwhile. You'll get 10 times your money's worth on day one.

It is true that the updating is sporadic but I don't find that to be a problem at all. There's so much there to start with. That alone is worth the admission price. I believe that two new ebooks are forthcoming too.

Join!

Mike
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5392 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Add me to the list of endorsements. I just recently subscribed after a prolonged period of waffling back and forth over whether or not I should. There's a ton of terrific information on the site, and the two free ebooks (along with access to the comprehensive archive) are a terrific bonus for premium subscribers. There's always the $5 one-month trial for the standard subscription if you just want to try it out. Highly recommended!
MagicT
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1248 Posts

Profile of MagicT
So Paul,
Are you saying that the price is or is not worth the membership?

Trini
Trini Montes
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Trini,

I'm not really sure how to answer that. Would the stuff on Jon's site sell individually for more than the price of subscription? Sure. Are the sporadic updates a problem? They are if you think you're paying for regular updates.

I was trying to answer the poster's original question: "I just wanted to know if anybody else here belongs to the site and what to expect?" I think I answered that question fairly. He can expect access to lots of good material. He can also expect that updates will be extremely inconsistent; the last one listed on the updates page was over a year ago.

The original poster will have to decide for himself whether membership is worth it. But my advice is that he base that decision on the material currently available on Jon's website, and not on the promise of future material. If that's worth $50 to him, then he should join.
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
churken
View Profile
Regular user
California
199 Posts

Profile of churken
I agree with Paul. I joined just after Hurricane Katrina mostly as a way to support him at a time when things had to be really tough for him.

The initial content that you are exposed to is incredible and well worth the membership price.

The problem becomes the second year subscription. During the tieme I was a member, the site was rarely updated. I understand that there was a rebuilding phase in his life due to the hurricane, but I felt that inconsistancy on updates, even short notes of explanation, made rejoining for additional years hard to do. The main problem is that part of the membership price includes a stated expectation on how many new items will be posted each year. It was my experience that this part of the agreement was not fulfilled.

I also had problems (as stated by C-Taylor above) with getting a response to e-mails asking for a password. I never got a reply, but luckily found it (it was different than the one I usually use) and was able to access the site again.

My advice is definately join for the first year. The information you will have access to is incredible. You literally could fill out several three ring binders if you printed everything. If the updates get back on track and are consistant you can renew your membership.

In fact, if I see that the updates get on track, I am going to re-join myself.

Paul
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Quote:
On 2008-03-19 12:00, churken wrote:

In fact, if I see that the updates get on track, I am going to re-join myself.

Ditto.

some youtube videos
imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
Hello everyone,
thank you for all of your input. For the inital price and what you get at the start I don't think you can go wrong.

thanks

John
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5392 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I absolutely got my money's worth, even if just for the Hierophant and Kabbala, not to mention the other terrific ebooks. My initial post was incorrect regarding choice of two ebooks -- they are ALL available to premium subscribers! My current addiction is to the Prime Moves section. Great stuff!!
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I thought I would toss my two-cents in...

You will get you moneys worth... No question about that!!!
If you love cards, do it! nuff said!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3220 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
The site is great. For the price of one magic book, you can access a lot of magic literature. If you're interested in card magic, it's a great deal.

And, of course, Jon Racherbaumer is a guru of card magic, so the material he provides is top-notch.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5392 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Great news! I received an email this morning which spoke to the upcoming site updates and upgrades. Three new items to be added by end of week with more to come (including videos of all the Prime Moves).
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5392 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
No videos yet, but a number of new additions in the last week.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Jonracherbaumer.com (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL