The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » French Guillotine! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
French Guillotine!

Whether it is valid, is it good?
Who used this illusion, tell please! Smile
Alex Krey
---------------------------
http://www.alexkrey.com
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I wouldn't use anything with the word "French" in it right now...

Lyndel
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Alex, This is a Guillotine sold on Doug Tilford's Website. As a builder myself, I say... be careful. The Guillotine featured on Magic Auction is New. It is Not a Sale Price and I think I have even seen that model cheaper.
When it comes to Guillotines... Ya get what ya Pay for!
Take care
chance Wolf
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I've have seen this device used on stage and it is made out of 2x4 lumber. Even though I know how it is done, and the safety factors involved. I would prefer the Head Choppers over the guillotine.

There is a real element of danger in anything that moves like this. Just getting a persons neck into it, the neck is clearly vunerable to an error, even with safety devices in place.

Be careful is good advice. Can you accomplish what you want with another type of chopper?
Dennis Michael
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I am the supplier of this guillotine, it is made by my company Illusion Concepts. Magic Auctions price is higher because that price includes a case.
Doug Tilford isn't the only one who sells this. Hocus Pocus, Hank Lee, Hollywood Magic, and others sell my guillotine. Yes this is the same one in the Hank Lee catalog.
FUN, Inc are the official distributors. If you want to know of it's quality check with Paul Gross at Hocus Pocus. He has bought several of them.

Year in and year out this continues to be the best selling French Guillotine on the market with several hundred having been sold over the last 10 years. This is also our best selling item, we sell more of these than any other illusions we make. Since MAK Magic discontinued their model this one has more or less taken it's place and in most cases when you see a French Guillotine advertised in a magic catalog it is our model they are selling.

Dennis makes a valid point in the above post. It is for this reason I always suggest that the performer hold the blade in place or have an assistant hold it while the stocks are being removed. This way the blade can't fall accidently.

Devin Knight
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Devin,
I want to make a point clear. I am in No way trying to diminish the Quality of this Guillotine. I have not personally seen your Guillotine so I cannot fairly judge the quality. I am a supplier to Hocus-Pocus as well and will try to do my best to support others that do business with them as Paul is a great judge of quality.

Dennis, as usual, brings up a great point. I will be releasing a Guillotine, this year, with ALL saftey features possible, yet I still feel nervous selling it to just anyone. So I have decide to pre-screen anybody interested in making a purchase and try to make the best judgement as to how serious they will take the performance and execution of the effect. My price range alone ($2,500)will screen out many people in the first place but this is the best I can do to assure public safety, as this CAN be a Dangerous effect if in the hands of a fool!

I wish you luck with your product and hope to see it one day.

Chance Wolf
Wolf's Magic

alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
Alex Krey
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I swore off all blade effects years ago. I had an Abbott's Disecto and during one performance the blade did not operate correctly and scratched a young lady's wrist enough that she screamed. Smile It scared me more than anybody else and she was bleeding pretty good when it was withdrawn. I met with her afterwards and apologized like crazy...she didn't sue and eventually laughed about the situation and said it was OK. I never performed it again and will NEVER perform a guillotine effect. I felt extremely lucky. Smile Smile

But that's just me...

Steven
Coram Deo
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Steven, What a horrible situation to go through. To continue my point earlier, you may be a very responsible performer taking all saftey precautions yet your voulunteer can still fall victim to a Mechanical malfunction. I almost hate to say that any Blade type danger effects are becoming passe' especially when a voulunteer from the audience is involved. (I guess that isn't exactly going to hep me sell Guillotines but hey, just being honest)
Thanks for the story Smile
Chance Wolf

alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
Terrible history! I shall take part it to data. Thank! Smile
Alex Krey
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
No Daytona Makes their own version, the one they sell is NOT my version.
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
The only close call I ever had with a blade effect, was in "my mind".

I had a wrist chopper made in India. It basically was a big finger chopper (read this as an L that pivots.) The problem was, it had poor design and the bottom of the L would bottom out, if the person putting the arm in had a thin arm. So they had to cram it in clear up to the elbow and beyond.

One show, I am pushing down the blade, and it is not going. I am getting upset... thinking it is on the woman's arm. Ends up I had her put her arm in farther, and it worked... but it sure had me concerned. I ended up, after that show, taking the whole thing apart, rebuilding it for reliability. No problems now.

However, I do have to be careful because it has a portion of the blade that hangs out at the edges, which adds greatly to the illusion of a solid blade. The negative is, one needs to keep everyone away from those, because when they come down they could be pretty nasty. When I rebuilt mine, I put a thin piece of clear contact on the part of the blade that brushes the arm... it looks fine but removes a chance of rough edges or burrs inflicting damage.

As for the head chopper, I have an old Mak. It is made in such a way that, if the head is in the stock, no way is anyone going to get hurt, as the blade bottoms out on a piece of wood above the neck. The risk would be only that the blade might accidentally hit someones fingers that might be above the top slot.

The low blade could be an issue too, I guess as it is propelled at pretty good speed. The blades are pretty light and not sharp at all... however, they would inflict a "dull pain" if anything went wrong and that too could lead to litigation.
quack
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Hello everyone!
I have performed the French guillotine at least 200 times and never once had any dangerous situations with it and the one I have is old; it was owned by a few diferent magi's before I acquired it.

I spray-painted it gold then scratched the hell outta it...it looks like it is 50 yrs. old.

It actually starts out as a card trick (The Most Dangerous Card Trick in the World, The Card Trick Of Doom!)

The spectator picks a card. Magi then tears corner from card and gives it to spectator.

Magician vanishes the rest of card and tells the spectator he must find his own card...

by placing his head in the guillotine (card finder). Magician explains he will throw the deck 'o cards at the spectator's head while the blade falls and the spectator must catch his card in his teeth before his head gets cut off.

The cards are thrown and the blade drops, but the spectator misses the card; however, the chosen card is now seen stuck to the blade at the bottom of the guillotine (similar to card on ceiling).

I love my guillotine and wouldn't trade it for the world!

JOHNNY MYSTIC Smile
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Franfran
View Profile
New user
Paris!
70 Posts

Profile of Franfran
Great effect, and great NAME!!!

Vive la France Smile
Franfran's magic, the real French Touch!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2003-03-14 19:02, Steven Steele wrote:
I swore off all blade effects years ago. I had an Abbott's Disecto and during one performance the blade did not operate correctly and scratched a young lady's wrist enough that she screamed. Smile It scared me more than anybody else and she was bleeding pretty good when it was withdrawn. I met with her afterwards and apologized like crazy...she didn't sue and eventually laughed about the situation and said it was OK. I never performed it again and will NEVER perform a guillotine effect. I felt extremely lucky. Smile Smile

But that's just me...

Steven

We've all heard similar stories relating to "accidents" with the Disecto apparatus, HOWEVER, upon honest inspection/evaluation the problem is usually OPERATOR ERROR.

By this I mean that if the arm is in place and the protective "guides" are properly secured front AND back the arm is safe.
The problem lies in the "simple" catches for the guides. In the excitement of the show often times the PERFORMER does not set them properly. PLUS you can't use a large arm anyway. Someone should really supply a retrofit for ALL the models already out there and ABBOTT'S should improve the design BEFORE they sell one more!
It's still a GREAT effect.
Dayanara
View Profile
New user
Michigan
64 Posts

Profile of Dayanara
The first (and only) time I've seen this done is when Valentino did it on #4. (Ack! Don't hurt me! I don't get out much!) It looked kinda scary, but kinda cool at the same time. But yes, above all, I WOULD be nervous about safety, and I wouldn't wonder that you've sworn off blade tricks, Steven.
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
Hello all,
I've worked with the "French" guillotine, both Mak and Abbott's, quite a lot over the years. The are both safe but, both (or just about any chopper for that matter) can hurt someone if you're not on the ball.
I help John with this so, whenever he removes the top stock to let someone in I put my hand on the side upright. It looks like I'm sort of leaning on it but I have my hand in the inside guide rail. As long as my hand is there the blade can't fall. I don't remove it until the top stock is back in place. As far as the matter of fingers, John ask the person in the chopper to hold the basket. It gives them something to do with their hands and keeps them out of harm's way.

The only mishap we have had with one of these things was a part of someone's shirt got bunched in the stock. After the drop we had a bear of a time getting the blade back up. But it was my fault; I should have made sure nothing was in the way. Remember to pull back your volunteer's collar a little before you lock the stock.

Ms.M
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I use the French Guillotine at times, depending upon the type of audience. Mine is far from new. It is a very good road prop and easy to live with. I have also never had a failure with it. It won't even pull over if you stand too far to the side to pull the rope.

However, I still protect my volunteer (victim) during the locking in and unlocking steps. I guess I know that I'm not really a magician and I don't even want to take a chance on hurting someone. If I really believed I could put the heads back on, I'd use a real guillotine!

Bob
Illusions@magicbysander.com
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
858 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
I had used a Chalet Extended Blade Guillotine for 12 years (sold it) and have used Wellington's See Through Guillotine almost 8+ years for total of well over a thousand+ performances and have never had a problem with volunteer safety. Chance Wolfe is right. You must buy quality merchandise if you want it to perform reliably 100% of the time. Yes, in live performances something can go wrong - but if the guillotine is a quality made prop, then there will be no chance that the audience volunteer will be hurt.
Lou
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Interesting thread. I've got a Mak Guillo in my collection. It's in excellent shape and of course its obvious in its' workings.

What I'm wondering is, does anybody have a copy of the original MAK instructions that came with it???

I'd sure like to get a copy if you do. Maybe I could trade you something from my collection or certainly pay a reasonable cost for a nice copy to put with the guillotine.

Thanks and cheers to all!!!

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » French Guillotine! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL