We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » TLR - Overhaul Needed? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
Ok does anyone else feel that The Linking Ring needs a bit of an overhaul? I know that they want to keep costs down{I just read that whole post over in the SAM section about the MUM going over budget}but man talk about kind of a dry read. I was lucky enough to get 30 years worth of back issues from a fellow magi. The format hasn't really changed in like 30 years; at least add a little more color.

Now don't be a jerk and slam me for voicing my opinion but what do you all think?
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
John, I believe TLR has come a long way from just 10 years ago. It seems to me that it has something of interest for everyone: National events, Ring events, interviews, a touch of history, some great effect contributions, the most useful product reviews in the industry, features for the Merlins and the Juniors, recognition for and about our international Rings and members, reliable and respected advertisers and more. And color? Compare the color pages in the current TLR to that of just 5 or 10 years ago. Besides, the color that counts, in my opinion, is found in the colorful ideas, stories and insights found in the incredible articles. From my perspective, if the format works why change it?

On the other hand, I know Sammy is always open to suggestions and ideas that may appeal to the general readership of this incredible journal. If you have a specific idea or suggestion that you feel will benefit TLR, send it directly to him at linkingring@mac.com. He'll be happy to hear from you.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
John,

A while ago, I read Phil Willmarth's last annual report as an executive editor of The Linking Ring before he became international president. In it, he stated he was glad The Linking Ring did not become a magazine during his time as executive editor. I was not sure what he meant by that, and I had the opportunity to ask him at the recent Magi-Fest in Columbus.

He said The Linking Ring is more than just stories, it is a trade publication that serves to the needs of the IBM Rings. While the publication features cover stories, columns and a wealth of magic effects, it also acts as archive of Ring activities. Thus, The Linking Ring preserves our magical heritage.

I am a journalist and volunteer as an associate editor for The Linking Ring, and when I read Mr. Willmarth's comments, I wanted to hear more because of my passion for print journalism. I appreciated what he had to say and walked away feeling good about what The Linking Ring is trying to accomplish.

Perhaps that overhaul you are looking for might be better handled by the Web Portal staff.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Guys,

While I total agree that the true quality of any printed media is in its contents and TLR has a boat load of it & please don’t misunderstand me in this respect. I love the stuff in the Linking Ring and devour its contents as soon as the newest issue hits my door step. In my opinion the publication itself could use a little sprucing up. TLR feels to me like a giant Executive Board Report, which now granted it partly is, but does it have to read like one? The type face seems so small, and everything seems kind of jammed together. I didn’t mean to sound as if I was saying that it was broke, but while the house is working it could use a new coat of paint Smile
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
We read you, John. Observations like yours lead to the path of growth.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Gordyboy
View Profile
Loyal user
British Columbia, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of Gordyboy
I understand the point you're making. I joined approximately 2 years ago and it took me a while to warm up to TLR. I did find it to be dry and had a hard time really getting enthused about reading it. Now I look forward to it and have my favorite parts I immediately check out, and I find there is a ton of information loaded in its pages.

I also subscribe to another Magic magazine that does indeed look pretty flashy, and if the two were side by side on my living room table and a visitor came over the flashy magazine with all the colorful ads is probably the one that would catch their eye. But then.... I don't want visitors looking at this stuff... they might learn some of my secrets ;-)
The Great Gordini

http://www.MagicCanada.ca
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

The funny thing is that since becoming a Magician, most people who visit my house are fellow magicians.

I seemed to have found a better quality of friends than in my youth Smile

All I am say with my post is that it could use a little more color and read less like a company stock report.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Trouble is, it pretty much *is* a company stock report. I think it's come a long way over the past 10 years or so. The solid color covers with a small black and white portrait in the center is long gone, and is not missed. I like the full bleed graphics of the cover, and more and more color pages are added inside all the time. The cover logo has changed several times over the past year too. Yes, the requisite "stock report" stuff is inside, but that's a necessary part of the deal.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I've been a IBM member since 1990 and I have seen several changes to TLR. Subtle as they may seem, they have happened.

The good news is they are always looking for someone to help out. You seem to have an idea, so why not contact the office and see if they would be open to your ideas and input.

Who knows, you might be responsible for some cool changes?!

Check it out. Good luck!

Justin -
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I think the recent changes to TLR have been great. It appears to be on the right track and I hope it keeps moving in that direction.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
As a teenager I enjoyed the Linking Ring and couldn't wait to get mine every month...but, wow, from my experience back in the 70's to today, this has really come a long ways...
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Justin~

that's a great idea, I may have to do that. Although I am currently up to my eyeballs in preperation for our May Day Convention http://www.MAGICALMAYDAY.COM and as my first term as our groups President.

I will drop them a line though.

I'm not saying that there hasn't been change , and for the better mind you, its just that I feel a little more is need to get TLR into the 21st Century.

Just my $.02
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » TLR - Overhaul Needed? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL