The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Bicycle Guardians by Theory 11 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
BICYCLE GUARDIANS BY THEORY 11

Effect: A new specialty deck of cards that sports a unique design.

Review: I received my Bicycle Guardians in the mail yesterday. As soon as I took them out of the package I knew they would be great! I'm a fan of specialty decks... they add a little extra something into some of my card work. I opened them and to my surprise, the cards were specially designed WITHOUT looking suspicious! They in no way look like gaffs, just incredibly cool cards. This is ideal for the fans of specialty decks who sometimes go through the difficulty of spectator's believing your deck is a trick deck. Let's go more in-depth, shall we?

DESIGN: These cards are absolutely beautiful. The faces are simple, white background with a slightly grey undertone. The court cards look great too... the reds have been changed to a maroon, the blues have gone to a navy blue, and the yellows are now grey. Upon reading this the cards may sound ugly to you but trust me, each colour compliments the other and they blend into a beautiful image. The Ace of Spades is also a simple yet elegant design, the large spade being a pair of resting feathered wings. Some may argue that it is too simple, but I feel it blends in with the deck, unlike aces such as that in the Master's Deck which sticks out like a sore thumb.

The Jokers depict an archangel in a tattoo-like design, holding an unknown figure on the ground at spear point. This is also a lovely looking design and is, again, very simple without being boring.

Now the main event... the backs. These are the best part of the deck, for sure... I can't get enough of them. They are a reshaped version of the basic Bicycle Back, with two muscular archangels at either end rather than the angels on bicycles. The back is black and the border is white. They also look amazing, like palm-sized works of art. They look brilliant in flourishing as well.

HANDLING: These are the best cards I have handled yet. They are durable, strong, thick, and glide extremely well. Fans look wonderful and multiple cut flourishing looks and feels amazing with these cards... somehow it is actually much easier to handle and looks much more elegant. They also withstand the fraying effects of the Faro Shuffle as well... not one card has any sort of fray on it and I Faro-ed them at least 30 times last night. They still stayed in perfect condition. These card feel even nicer than Bicycle Master's and will probably last longer too.

Also, they are certainly called Guardians for a reason... they withstand dirt and dropping and will even stay in pristine condition after being dropped on the ground. Regular Bicycles don't even come close to Guardians in this field.

OVERALL: These cards are a simple, elegant, and beautiful solution to Bicycles. They do not look like gaffs and they last for a long time... they also suit many tastes and personality. If you wish to add something extra into your card work that will enhance the visual impact of your routines, these are definitely worth checking out. Bicycles Guardians are available at Thoery 11 and they get a rating of 9/10 from me.

Michael Kras
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Interesting, I hear they remade these, but the original deck was the worst deck I have ever used right next to the 1800 series
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I heard they were pretty bad as well.
do magic

www.8bom.net
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Well Michael,

I'm glad that you like them. As for myself I ordered two decks of these when they first came out and I thought they were some of the worst cards that I've ever handled. However I heard that they did sort of a second edition trying to fix the problems that the first edition had and I never ordered any of those.

I DID order some 909 centurions when they came out. I've got a review up somewhere on here. The centurions are the second worst cards that I've ever handled right behind the guardians.

As I said I am certainly happy that you like them and I never ordered any of the new edition But I just can't see using any of the cards that I've bought from Theory 11 for anything more than shims for a short table leg.

I hope some more people chime in on this and give their thoughts. Maybe I just got a couple of bad batches or something. But I have heard quite a few saying the same as me.

Thanks for the review Michael,
Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Tim,

How are you liking the Wynn's brother? Smile

DO
do magic

www.8bom.net
ritty360
View Profile
Veteran user
McKinney, Texas
392 Posts

Profile of ritty360
Why do we keep using cards that are not traditional bicycles? It all smacks of gimmick decks.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
We "try" to use them I suppose just for fun, at least me personally, but in this case it don;t pan out as they suck for anything but card juggling
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Quote:
On 2008-03-20 15:06, ritty360 wrote:
Why do we keep using cards that are not traditional bicycles? It all smacks of gimmick decks.

So does that mean if I use Tally Ho's I may be using a gimmick deck?
This whole "Specialty cards = gimmick deck to spectators" argument has been talked about to death on here and I don't think it holds much water.
Do laymen really know what a "gimmick" is and is it something that would jump immediately into their minds? I don't think so. Besides, Whats wrong with handing them the pack and telling them to check it out if they like? Problem solved!!

I myself don't use specialty decks for performance that much. Signed card tricks get expensive after awhile. However, When I do, I have never had anyone say "Those cards must be gimmicked!!!" Come on.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13993 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I agree most spectator's don't really know what a gimmick is, per say. But many of them have seen Svengali decks and T.V. magic cards and such, and there is a little word in their brain that they label, "trick deck". I have never heard one spectator say "Is the deck gimmicked?" But I have indeed heard the term "trick deck" come out of a spectator's mouth on more than one occasion.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Thank you for the response! I have heard the card's first editions were horrible for handling... but these second editions, WOW... right out of the box, smoothest cards I've ever handled. These will last, and I recommend you try out the second editions.

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Quote:
On 2008-03-20 23:09, daffydoug wrote:
I agree most spectator's don't really know what a gimmick is, per say. But many of them have seen Svengali decks and T.V. magic cards and such, and there is a little word in their brain that they label, "trick deck". I have never heard one spectator say "Is the deck gimmicked?" But I have indeed heard the term "trick deck" come out of a spectator's mouth on more than one occasion.

Yes... But again, Could you not simply hand them the deck?

I too have heard the "Are those trick cards?" question more than once. You know what the funny thing is... Each time I heard it, I was using regular Bikes. Go figure.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
Sincerely,
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Hehe.. I don't want some spectators grimey mitts on my brand new Guardians Smile

djrdjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
226 Posts

Profile of djrdjr
Nevermind … wrong deck.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13993 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-03-21 10:38, Tim Jahn wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-03-20 23:09, daffydoug wrote:

Yes... But again, Could you not simply hand them the deck?

I too have heard the "Are those trick cards?" question more than once. You know what the funny thing is... Each time I heard it, I was using regular Bikes. Go figure.

Tim

Don't feel bad. I was doing a trick with regular dollar bills once, and someone asked me "Are those trick bills?" (Surely they could not have LOOKED more genuine, since they were exactly that.)

Seems that "the item is tricked" is the only explanation they can come up with in their pitiful little brains, be it cards, money, or whatever.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Solitaire
View Profile
New user
Germany
83 Posts

Profile of Solitaire
@michaelmystic2003:
I suppose the Archangel depicted on the Guardian deck is St George the dragonslayer (for more information see here: http://www.shcsc.k12.in.us/arthur/stgeorg.htm )

I also enjoy the change in the backs and in the court cards althought I have to admit I am not into angels but on this deck, I like them.
booswain
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of booswain
It seems like lots of stores like Ellusionist and Theory 11 are making exclusive decks. My experience with the decks from Ellusionist has been generally postitive. I really like the Tally Ho Vipers and the Bicycle Masters from Ellusionist and I actually use them for tricks. There are some decks that I just think are cool to look at like Shadow Masters or the 1800 series. I did pick up a deck of Guardians just because I thought they looked cool. I havent used them for tricks yet. My fav cards to use are just basic red or blue bicycles.
booswain
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of booswain
I did pick up a pack of Bulldog Squeezers after seeing the back in John Bannons royal scam trick. I just love the name.
booswain
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of booswain
I finally opened my guardians..they are thin..and not the quality I was hoping for
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

They are thin? You must have a mismade deck.. My Guardians are exceptionally and noticably thick.

booswain
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of booswain
Hmmmm...mine are thin and seem poorly made
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Bicycle Guardians by Theory 11 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL