The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Tear Apart Change Bags (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Greetings,

I know this has to be posted somewhere, but when I search I can't find it (or I have to wait cause I mistyped a word)...

Wondering if there are differences in the Tear Apart Change Bags, and if so, which makers/versions do you think are best quality?

Appreciate it!

RevJohn
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi RevJohn:

I've not seen the other ones, but I can recommend Sandra Sisti's bag. I've had her make me a couple custom-made items, and her work is superb. She has a tear-apart bag listed on her site for $25.00. I think if you request a specific kind of fabric, it's 5 or 10 dollars more.

I think she's the best in the business, and pretty reasonable too. Her website is http://seamslikemagic.net

Ron
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
John, I have bought 4 of them down trough the years. The best one I had was found at a local magic shop. I think the guy was making them himself, because I have never seen another like it. When mine started wearing I went back to get another, and the same guy was not there. There were 2 rip-apart bags there, but not like the one I had bought years before. I found out that the guy that owned the shop had gotten sick. The dude running the shop called to see if he had any more rip apart bags. He did not. ended up buying one of the ones there, but it was junk. I use it to practice with, but that's all. It was made from cheap material and is not durable at all.

I went on a search for another one and bought one online, and I didn't like it either. It is decent quality, but it is a little small for my needs. I had repaired my old one so much I had to do something, so I kept looking. I finally found out about Sandra Sisti at Seams Like Magic. My daughter bought me one of Sandra's Rip-Apart Change Bags as a Christmas gift that year. I really like it, and it is similar in quality to that first one I owned and loved so much. The only problem I have with Sandra's Bags are the velcro. Sandra uses small strips of velcro, which is better and makes it easier to use. However, it is adhesive-backed, but it really needs to be sewn. Mine has come loose, and I had to sew one side, and I need to do the other.

Overall, it is the best one I have found in a long time. I imagine velcro is difficult to sew with a machine. (The sticky-backed kind is hard to do by hand!) If Sandra would start sewing in the velcro her bags would be near-perfect for me. When I need another one, I am going to contact her and see if I can get her to sew in the velcro. It seems like I remember speaking with her about custom fabrics too, and that may be something I want to try.

Having said all that, her stock bags are about as good as it gets, and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one from her. Most rip-aparts that I have owned come with stuck-on velcro anyway. The quality of her bags are excellent overall, and she has several different fabric designs to choose from.

Regan
Mister Mystery
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3498 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Whatever style you purchase do have made,
do have them sew the Velcro, it’s not a hard thing,
the sticky-type will peel off, dry out, and maybe get on your silks.

I’ve also found ¼ inch wide works better than thicker Velcro,
mine is twenty years old, heavy silk brocade on the outside,
black silk fabric on the lining.

It would be fantastic if Lynetta Welch / Fabric Manipulation could start making these,
as her products are first rate!

My two-cents,
Walt
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Thank you all for your input! Appreciate it greatly.

John
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
John, do you want a tear-apart that actually seperates into 2 pieces, or just ends as one LONG piece? The magic effect called "Laundry Bag" (I think that's what it's called) sold (and made?) by Danny Tong uses one of the LONG kind. I think he sells the bag by itself, called, strangely enough..."THE BAG". Very well-made to last a lifetime. I have the same one I bought almost 20 years ago, and then found The Bag at an auction and bought it, too!

Steve
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Hey Steve, is "The Bag" still available?
Mister Mystery
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
I have had the bag for about 12 years (i think) and I still use it today (in fact I literaly used it 3 times today) as if it was brand new.

I use it in a routine with a breakaway fan and have had to change the fan 3 times (if not 4 - my memory fades). But the bag keeps on going...
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
I whole heartedly reccomend Sandra Sisti's tear apart bags as well.

I received a 'custom' fabric bag from her several weeks ago. Excellent quality and workmanship. Great service, too.

I had a need for one and searched the web and then remembered she made them. I felt somewhat embarassed looking all over the world for one and lo and behold two towns over, there they are. She was very gracious and understanding.

peace,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Phill, how did you work the custom detailing out with Sandra? Was it a custom color you wanted or a certain type of fabric? Did you describe it and Sandra supply it, or did you have to send something to her? How long did it take to get a custom, rip-apart bag made?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hey Regan:

I just checked my bag; the velcro has not been sewn. I haven't used mine much, so maybe someone could let Sandra know. She is a wiz, so I doubt it will be a problem. Here's a photo of mine - it took her about 2 weeks. I told her I wanted a tapestry material with an elegant look and she bought the fabric.

Ron

Click here to view attached image.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Ron. That's a very nice bag!
Mister Mystery
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
Regan -
I worked out the custom detailing with Sandra over the phone. I described what the routine was (a running theme of sorts with a queen's missing/stolen golden necklace that needed to be recovered by a hero) and what in my "mind's eye" the fabric should look like. I was thinking a tapestry type of material with golden accents. Afterall, a queen has only the best for the royal jewelry.
She understood what I was I looking for and sent me an e-mail with a picture of the fabric available. Her "turn around" was really quick - just a couple of days. Bear in mind, when I ordered the bag it was the the middle, end of January, so she may have had more time available then than during a busier season.
Hopefully this helps.

peace,
phill
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Phill!
Mister Mystery
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
Regan -

My pleasure. Keep us posted on your decision.

peace,
phill
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I bought mine at Metro Magic 3 and I can't remember the name of the lady who made it. But it was made very well and looks tremendous. It has a beautiful dragon design.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I once saw someone 'vanish' a coconut in a tear-apart change bag. I usually tut wildly when anyone goes for the cheap exposure laugh but that one did kind of tickle me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Tear Apart Change Bags (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL