The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Metalogic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
I know this is a booklet to buy. But I am wondering does it tell you how to bend a regular spoon or do you have to buy a gimmicked spoon somewhere else? Can anyone give me information on this. Thank you...
§kitch
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5331 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Metalogic is not a spoon bending routine in the sense of the Banachek or Kuff. Basically, it is a bending, breaking, and restoration effect. It is a good stand-up club/parlor routine.

It is an old Stars of Magic booklet and usually comes with the gimmick. The gimmick is easily made.

There are significant angle problems with this effect and the spoon is not handed out in a bent state.

Charlie Frye has a very nice handling of the routine on his “Eccentrick’s” video.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
889 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
Harry is right. The only thing I can add is eliminate the 'breaking' portion of the routine. It is anti-climactic. The visible bend is incredible, but the 'break' isn't as effective.

There are angles to worry about, but they are easily overcome with a little audience management.

If you are only going to do one or two bends, I reccommend this. It is a great lead in to a second, non-gimmicked bend. I usually follow it with whatever bend tickles my fancy at the time, and end with the Twirl (The spoon winds up cork screwed).

For those interested, the Twirl can be found on Patrick Kuffs video, Metal Bending: The Real Work, and in Ben Harris' book, Off The Wall.

Later,

Sean
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Just an idea: take a spoon, bend it, break it, take a fork top out of your pocket...restore it,...but now it is a fork?

What do you think?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
889 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
That is a good idea, Jon. It takes the effect away from mentalism, per se, and makes it more magical. Some may like it, others not, but it is an interesting idea nontheless.

Later,

Sean
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
770 Posts

Profile of Loz
I believe the video called "spoontang" on the magic video depot is this effect. The method appears quite elegant. I think I'll play with this.
kulhaq
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of kulhaq
Yeah, I was about to suggest spoontang, glad you beat me to it! Also have you ever tried the same effect with other metal object, I dunno, like.... pitchforks or something?
Smile
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
770 Posts

Profile of Loz
I thought using a teaspoon might be nice, easier to handle and carry, better angles, etc.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
David Williamson offers his handling of this in his book. Alain Nu uses the principle to great effect. Also Sawa put out a small spoon bending "kit" years ago that featured this method.

It's funny, a young hot shot from Seattle, I believe, was performing his "revolutionary new" spoon bend at the last A1 convention. He asked me what I thought, and I told him he had just performed Metalogic.

He became very indignant and told me he would just ask his buddies, two very well posted sleight of hand guys, to give him the credits. I suggested he look it up himself. I told him it was in the Stars of Magic series. I pressed and asked if he even KNEW about the Stars of Magic, and he confessed, no.

I just mention this here because 1) whenever I think of this bend, this memory will always come to mind and 2) to stress the importance of developing a firm foundation in the magical arts before one dubs themselves a "creator."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Metalogic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL