The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » 20th Century Silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
BarryRice
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
88 Posts

Profile of BarryRice
I am putting together a children's show and would like to include 20th century silks. Before I venture out to buy it, however, I would like to hear your thoughts on it. Mainly, is there a particular set I should buy? Is it a good idea to try to make your own? And whatever performance suggestions you have would be very welcome.

Thanks
"The magic of the tongue is the most dangerous of all spells."
-Edward George Earle Lytton Bulwer-Lytton

http://www.amazingbarry.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I recommend that you avoid the gimmicked silks. I use a hank ball as my only gimmick in the entire routine. You'll need a couple of patterned silks with a different color in the corners than in the rest of the silk. Then you'll need silks that match the corners of the patterned silks (solid color silks). I can send you the details of the handling, if you like. It floors laymen!
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Barry:

If you can afford them, I recommend you buy a set from either P and A Silks or Silk King Studios.

Both of these companies use heavier silk (8 momme) which makes the silks more durable.

I have a 24 inch set I bought from P and A, with a tie-dyed middle silk, and I'm very happy with them.

Silk King Studios recently reopened - I believe the daughter of the Rice's is running the company now. Their silks have always been absolutely gorgeous. If you haven't seen them, you're in for a treat!

Here are their addresses:

http://www.pasilks.com
http://www.silkkingmagic.com

Ron Reid
BarryRice
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
88 Posts

Profile of BarryRice
Wow, those do sound good, but I think I will work up to them. I want to make sure it is something I am going to keep in my act.

Keep the comments coming
"The magic of the tongue is the most dangerous of all spells."
-Edward George Earle Lytton Bulwer-Lytton

http://www.amazingbarry.com
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
I used this in my kids show, they loved it. I changed one silk into two tied together with a changebag and then appeared the one in the middle. The kids had fun for ages making the two end ones vanish, and then appear tied to the middle one, just using a changebag. Big Hit, visible magic and strong.
Paul
(I got mine from Davenports for £7, one yellow Smile two purple.)
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
20th century is great with kids. I had my set made with a picture of a man on one silk, a woman on another and a child on the 3rd. I tell a story about the mommy and daddy loving their child but one day he ran away. I use a change bag to hide the child. The mommy and daddy are tied together as a family. The child was very scarred and lonely until a magician came by and helped him back to his family. The child vanishes from the bag and turns up between the mommy and daddy. That's my basic routine and it always goes over well.
Where the magic begins
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
20th Century is a classic routine for a reason. It plays well. I make and use tie dyed center silks as they do not lock me into a specific color scheme. The routine will let you really work with kids using the breakaway fans, wands, Karrell Fox Snake bouquets, and other bits of business.
For Adults, it is a very colorful and flashy silk magic effect.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I made my own as well. I made gimmicked silks but did so in a slightly different manner, very happy with it. I use a US and British flag on the ends and vanish a Jolly Roger....real silk on this one. In such a turbulent world, the theme works very well yet I tell a fictional story about Blackbeard and the vanish takes place in a pirate hat change bag that I made. Good effect.
quack
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I would get a P and A set as they are great quality silks and they are a bit heavier and more durable. A nice 24 inch set works nicely for most stage or kids shows.

I am a graphic designer and artist by trade and I am currently working on a brand new children's silk effect that is related to 20th centrury silks. I will fill you all in on this project as it gets closer to becoming a reality. I do not want to give too much away, but it will be a great effect targeted towards kids shows and it has a very well developed theme and story that the kids should love.

It should give people an alternative to 20th century silks and be something a bit different for their kids and family shows.

But, if you want the standard set, get a P and A silk set and you will not be sorry.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
It's a great trick, and one of the first I bought for a full kids show. But be careful what set you buy! One of mine started to turn colors, and came apart lol. But it is a great trick when you buy the right set, make them big and colorful. There are probably thousands of variations or routines you could make with this one prop.
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
I use a routine I picked up from Danny Tong over 20 years ago. It uses ungimicked silks. It's still the only version I perform.
gician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of gician
Is the Dan Tong routine available anywhere? I've always loved this effect, and perform it trying different approaches and storylines, but it just doesn't get the impact I think it should. I remember when I first either read about or saw the trick performed: Vanished silk appears tied between two previously knotted silks. WOW! I just can't seem to translate that WOW to the audience; At least not at the level I feel it should. Any routining help or sources would be incredibly appreciated. Smile
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Another source for 20th century silks is Laflin Magic.

http://www.laflinmagic.com

He has some themed 20th century sets (look under silk magic):

Multicolour silk (red, green, yellow)
Bunny silk (reads "Hoppy" Birthday)
Butterfly picture silk
Gospel picture silk
"Ellie the Elephant" (a great story with elephant picture and "trees"... green silks)

Check it out.

The Gr8 DonaldD.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Greetings!

Have to agree on the Rice silks...most beautiful I've ever seen ANYWHERE!

On 20th Century, I've used ungimmicked, and use a M****R GL**S, a Goblet actually, and it was one of the best silk routines I had! I suppose a Palmo Ball might have been as good, but the thought never occurred to me.

And thank you for all of the great ideas, here...I've copied and pasted these ideas for future reference.

Happy Holidays
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
At an IBM convention years ago, I went up afterwards and talked to Pavel about his handling. He showed me how he did it using his silk. As far as I could tell, his knots were just silk. His method however had them on the silk loose enough that they easily would fall off.

quack
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
My 20th Century Silk set is two blue and one red. My routine involved telling the redneck version of Little Red Riding Hood. I've had good reactions from both children and adults with this. That reminds me, I have to dig mine out for a show I have on Friday!!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi, Margarette!

I must ask...been thinking about it ever since you posted this...redneck version? Now this oughtta be good! How big are the silks? If you'd like to share, I'm sure there are those that would like to hear more... Smile

Doug
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Doug,

You live in Florida and don't know any redneck versions of magic?

Perhaps we could tie two blue bandanas together and put them in a container for the volunteer (not from Tennessee) to hold.

Then tell the volunteer, "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Poke a red bandana into your fist until it is plum gone.

Go back to the volunteer. Tell him to hang on to the container like it was a stolen water melon.

Then grab one of blue bandanas by the ear hanging out and "whoup out" the whole works onto the stage (hay wagon or flat bed truck) and show folks that the red one is tied between the others just sure as shootin'.

Then move on to making fried green tomatoes in your dove pan as soon as the grease gets hot.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
(Good friend of Bubba Whodini)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Bob, your just too darned cool for words. That's funny stuff. But I bet its been in your act once or twice.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
MagicIanS,

Thank you. You've spent the night here at the ranch and know that this ain't no act.

Whatever culture I have is Agri______

Y'all come to see us again. You hear?

Bob and Lucy Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » 20th Century Silks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL