The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Sands of the desert (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

braddevant
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of braddevant
I was wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to get the sand for the sands of the desert trick in different colors, or how to make it myself? I need to get the sand in blue instead of green.
Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm digging enough holes for
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
The sand is hydrophobic. I once saw it in blue from a website specializing in educational science supplies. If you google "hydrophobic sand" you'll get a lot of hits - hopefully at least one will carry it in blue. It is possible to make your own - but much easier and probably cheaper to buy some from the school science lab suppliers.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I ordered mine from http://areyougame.com
-Matt
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I don't know what the magic dealers are selling now for the sands, but the hydrophobic stuff may not be the best solution. Traditionally, the sands are prepared so when you squeeze a handful together, it will stay in a ball and break apart when you apply a little presure. The hydrophobic sand stays dry, but doesn't hold together when dry.

Traditional sand take a little effort to make, but is fairly inexpensive and allows you to use any color you like. The method is pretty easy to locate in some of the older books (Greater Magic has a good description). The thing that has always surprised me was the fact that the sands are not included in Tarbell. It was a classic effect when the course was written and Tarbell himself was respected for his presentation, but it is one of the very few classics I haven't been able to find there.

Thanks,
Richard
Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
I've never had any problems with my dry hydrophobic sand staying together if I squeezed it real hard. I would bet there are various types of hydrophobic sand (various dealers selling sand treated in slightly different ways)which might explain why it seems to work well for some and not as good as others. As with any new effect some practice with it once you purchase it will help you determine if it will meet your needs. I've never used any other methods for sands of the desert - the other methods could be completely superior to my method.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Hi Larry,

To be honest, I've never actually tried using the hydrophobic sand for magic. I have just played with it a bit. I'll have to give it another look.

Thanks,
Richard
braddevant
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of braddevant
Thanks everyone, I will give it a try.
Norrabmagic
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Norrabmagic
I do this effect twice a day at my show here in orlando. I use a hydrophobic teflon sand from http://www.dunecraft.com There is no squeezing or breaking required. The natural tension and pressure of the water holds the sand in neat little balls on the bottom. the moment that they clear the top of the water they become free flowing and loose again. This is what the big guys use today and it beats the heck out of the old fashioned wax stuff.
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
I saw a recipe somewhere (sorry, don't remember where) for making your own using your oven and some 3M Scotchgard Spray (and sand too, of course!).
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
Mysterious
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Mysterious
I purchased mine from Magic Depot.
You can buy similar sand from the hobby store its called SPACE SAND. http://www.dunecraft.com/products/spacesand.htm
for half the price.

(for the water part)If you reverse the mixture you won’t have any yellow tint to your water, in fact it will look completely clear.
In my opinion clear is much better than a yellowish tint.
Mysterious
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Mysterious
Here is a cool video on the subject http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lema2f3kO......_id=6210
Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
That was pretty good - but I couldn't begin to be that messy with it.
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
If memory serves me, Harry H. made his own out of beach sand and melted wax. Made them into little packets in wax paper. Toy stores carry an item for children called colored sand castels or similar its in a plastick sort of bottle that you squeeze out into the water and you can manipulate it to build or change. Doug H. used it in his shows sands of the sahara. Also called sands of tomorrow. Mysterious also gave a good one. Its a beautifull effect but it has been overworked, like many magic tricks on the market. (media and toy makers)
Tokyo Williams
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
126 Posts

Profile of Tokyo Williams
By the pound, in several colors:
http://www.onlinesciencemall.com/Shop/Co......vpcsid/0

I'm sure there are more out there. My only experience with this trick was with the old fashioned wax method. Needless to say, it did not become part of my regular act.

On a side note, between living on a farm and being a science nerd as a kid, I remember ordering some seriously deadly stuff out of catalogs. But now, in our ever watchful society, even hydrophobic sand is a restricted substance.
http://sciencekit.com/product.asp?pn=IG0......ralID=NA

Soon, only outlaws will have TTs.
I have nothing to say
And I am saying it
And that is poetry.
-John Cage
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Ah! One of my favorite effects!
I have always made my own sand - it's easy! I have used both beach sand and the ultra fine sand that is sometimes sold by aquarium shops. Both work equally well. I hope that I am not violating the non-disclosure agreement by telling you this, but since no one is really marketing it these days...

Find a candle that is made, at least partially, with bee's wax (column candles are better than tapers). Test by grasping the candle. If the candle is slightly sticky, it is perfect. On an electric stove*, melt the wax in a cast iron skillet. Add enough sand that the sand appears to be slightly wet. Mix well and put into metal coffee cans. When cool, break the sand apart by spinning a flat headed screwdriver between your palms in the coffee can. Once loose, drop into a large bowl and break the clumps apart by hand. When the sand has been fully re-granulated, store it in either the coffee cans, or better, an oriental lunch box that holds at least 3 compartments. Available in oriental food stores, it keeps the colors separate and sealed to prevent spillage by stacking the compartments and using a mason jar styled clasp to hold everything together. The frame for this kit has a built in handle that makes transport a breeze.

When in use, the sand only needs to be snugly squeezed together by the hand that moves it, and placed into the bottom of the water filled bowl. When producing the sand, pick it up and hold it over the proper bowl and squeeze the sand in a sheering motion to break it apart. The squeezing action is so easy that the audience will simply think that you are pouring it out of your fist.

An odd production - dry sand pouring from a fist that is dripping water!

I have, in the past, used brightly colored, very fine sand (red, yellow and blue). Now that I am doing the effect in historical recreation, I use three colors of natural sand - White, Brown and Black. The sand, if kept separate, will last a lifetime! I have never had to resort to packets or other means of sealing the sand from the water.

* Do not attempt this on a gas stove. Fumes from candles can be flammable and could catch fire. The only safe way of melting wax using a gas stove is with a double boiler.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I was wondering if anyone had any tips as to what would be best to apply to your hand when performing this? My sand seems to not look as dry as it should.
Good magic to all,
Eric
this
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Sands of the desert (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL