We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Getting "Hung Up" on Rope Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ya' know, over the years, I have figured out how to organize all my magic. My card decks are neatly lined up and labeled, smaller effects are in compartmentalized containers, packet effects are labeled and stacked neatly, etc. But for the LIFE OF ME, for all my years in magic, I have yet to figure out a way to organize my rope magic!

It has defeated every effort my brain has come up with to organize it.

Problem is, they are so well, "squirmy", for lack of a better word. They don't stack neatly as cards do. In a drawer, they plop together, and all look alike! There may be gimmicked rope effects, and regular rope effects, but they all look the same! They tangle,and they entwine, and nothing I do seems to remedy the mess.

Has ANYBODY here found a neat, RELIABLE way to organize and store rope effects? If so, and you could share it with me, I would be forever in your debt.

Thanks,

Daff
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm digging enough holes for
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
You might try Glad bags. They come in various sizes. They can't get entwined that way.
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
I'll second Larry's suggestion of plastic lunch bags! Adding a 3x5 card with the name of the routine to the bag also helps.

Murf
Jay Buchanan
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
512 Posts

Profile of Jay Buchanan
These things are awesome for rope effects.
They have them at Home Depot, Lowes and I am sure just about any hardware store these days.

Here's a thread about them:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=34&15
And here is an image that Jonathan Kamm posted of the different sizes
http://homepage.mac.com/jonathankamm/Viewtainers.jpg
Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt. ~ Shakespeare
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1312 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Hey there’s a few ways I set rope up and I use techniques I got from the time I was in to climbing check out climbing and sailing books in the library.

I just have my ropes all set up in there sets as little buddle almost tube like and carry them in my case. I tell the difference either buy the shape and size of the bundle or if need be colour. All bundles are held by a simple tuck knot which once pulled they all unravel from there.

Have a look around there some cool ways you can tie up rope which looks nice hang from you, a bag, your case or a stand.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
JonathanM
View Profile
Veteran user
Jonathan
352 Posts

Profile of JonathanM
Ropes were the only props that I just decided to put in seperate pockets in my bag. The rest of my stuff is in my bag which is compartmentalized.
Jonathan Meyer
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
www.jonathanmagic.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Another way is to put each trick in a cigar box and label them, with all of the cigar boxes in a plastic tote. They could also be put in small plastic food containers.

Inside of the catalog case, that I use for stand-up work, I keep the ropes for Fiber Optics in a small cigar box that is covered with contact paper. In the tote that I work out of for kidshows, I keep the ropes in a small plastic food container. In my close-up case, the ropes are in a plastic pencil box.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Man, if I ever got that organized, mom would be mighty proud!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2008-03-24 13:45, Jay Buchanan wrote:
These things are awesome for rope effects.
They have them at Home Depot, Lowes and I am sure just about any hardware store these days.

Here's a thread about them:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=34&15
And here is an image that Jonathan Kamm posted of the different sizes
http://homepage.mac.com/jonathankamm/Viewtainers.jpg

That containers are GREAT!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
casalino
View Profile
New user
Peru, now Dallas Tx
6 Posts

Profile of casalino
I make thick clear plastic (the kind that sells by the yard to cover tables) open ended tubes, a little wider than needed and either color code them or label them.
if it holds more than 1 rope I fold them like an "s" so I can pull on one end.
Skotster
View Profile
Regular user
Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania
109 Posts

Profile of Skotster
I wind and tie them in a bundle. you could put a rubber band or twist tie around the bundle. use different colors to code them.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Gallon size Ziploc bags work pretty good to store ropes. You might also consider an extension cord holder (the long kind that you wrap the cord around).
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
At Wal Mart they have koolaid packets that come in a round container. The containers work nicely for putting your rope tricks into.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3250 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I use twist ties and I hang them on a hook.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
My PN is wound up in a neat bundle, with the small rope holding it all together.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Phil Tawa
View Profile
Regular user
Mass.
103 Posts

Profile of Phil Tawa
I have a piece of wood hanging from my basement pipes. Like a closet coat hanging pole but flat not round. I just drape them over it with a little space between each. I don't have all that many so I recognize each by sight. I have about 18 or 20 hanging from it. If you want to keep them clean just drape a piece of sheet over them. this keeps the dust off until you want to use them. I discovered this by accident a couple of months ago
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Store your rope tricks the same way you would store silks. Put them in ziplock bags and then to keep them seperated, get a plastic expandible accordian style file organizer to keep them all organized. Very cheap and works very well.
superpixel
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
131 Posts

Profile of superpixel
For my street routine I'm using one backpack (no clue what kind it is, but it looks like a Tom Bihn bag -- but it isn't) and a bunch of mesh bags with elastic sort of like the bags some folks use to hold plastic grocery bags for re-use. It's like a tube with an elastic loop at one end and a button clasp. These mesh bags are tagged with whatever trick they happen to be, and a little button keeps them from opening until I need them.
-- superpixel = Victor --
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Crystal Lite containers
Eddie Ivan Torres
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Try shopping around The Container Store/Overstock.com/ Ikea / Antique stores or maybe a lab supply store. Although all those suggestions are great and very practical and I currently use them also, I like to have my cabinet of magic look like a cabinet of magic and not a kitchen pantry or frig. That's just me. A chinatown may have those curios shops and sell oriental looking boxes for those special tricks like rings, cups and balls. PK, Shops in a Latino neighborhood might sell boxes decorated for Dia de los Muertos, Wicca online stores for pentagram hinged lid boxes to house ITs. Go to RnTII for those pouches to carry coins. Ok I got it now, my cabinet looks like something out from Ripley's believe it or not. So maybe if you think of a theme, that might help you find not just containers but that cool box. getting back to ropes, I think a cool spooky box that locks or use of a padlock might be apt for Professor's nightmare or maybe even a glass beaker, that's cool right? How about this minus the wine bottle- hopefully you may see the potential and at $13 bucks -not bad.
http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?itemTy......mID=4560
My style and 2 cents for sure. Have fun looking and deciding - It's an ongoing process, really.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Getting "Hung Up" on Rope Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL