The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Chop Cup (research) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
I'd like to see how many table hoppers are using chop cups; of them what are your complaints (if any) about chop cups as a table hopping routine?

Reason for asking: I've been using a custom chop cup that I made myself. I've had it for about a year and several magicians have asked where I got it - because they wanted to buy one. I want to see, if it's advantages match the current market's woes.

Request - to make it a bit easier to keep track, please put at the top of your post:
YES = I use a chop cup

NO = I don't use a chop cup

Sometimes = I use a chop cup on occasion or I leave it in the back and bring it out for special guests.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sometimes -- I use a leather cup so it is quiet when I load in cue ball and 8 ball. More often than not, nowdays, I use a bowl routine with a rubber toilet plunger.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
YES = I use a chop cup.

I love the chop cup. I've been collecting them for years. I have no less than 150 chop cups. I last bought over 30 chop cups from an estate sale. However, my wife has decided enough is enough. Over the next few months I will be selling a lot of them.

I perform in a number of up scale restaurants 4 nights a week. I never leave home without one. I have every size they come in. However, my favorite are ceramic or porcelin cups. My only complaint is their size. When I use a mini cup, it will fit in my pocket with no problem. However, when I use the larger size I carry it in a cloth bag.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
SOMETIMES. I do mostly wedding receptions and usually there is no room at the tables. But I keep one in my briefcase and sometimes do it at the bar when people are waiting to order drinks.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2008-03-25 20:51, Daryl -the other brother wrote:
SOMETIMES. I do mostly wedding receptions and usually there is no room at the tables. But I keep one in my briefcase and sometimes do it at the bar when people are waiting to order drinks.

Clarification:
The issue is not being able to use table space then? Just making sure.

Quote:
On 2008-03-25 19:35, nonvpro wrote:

I perform in a number of up scale restaurants 4 nights a week. I never leave home without one. I have every size they come in. However, my favorite are ceramic or porcelin cups. My only complaint is their size. When I use a mini cup, it will fit in my pocket with no problem. However, when I use the larger size I carry it in a cloth bag.

So you favor the mini-cups?
Mr Amazeo
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazeo
YES - I've been using the Dennis Loomis mini chop cup for about 4 years. It's the size of a shot glass so it takes up minimal pocket space, the brass construction looks great, the routine can be done in their hands, and it works beautifully. I bring it with everywhere. The vanish of the cup at the end of the routine absolutely kills.

I've also worked with a somewhat similar routine - Jiggernaut by Mark Jenest. Very fun, but I prefer the Loomis mini cup.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I enjoy Jiggernaut by Mark Jenest - it's fun and gets very good reaction. I recently discovered Bob Solari's Major Development and I'm having a great old fun with it. Major Development uses chop cup principles.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have since day one opened with a chop cup routine.

I have one special made of wood.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
I have always used the chop cup behind the bar. But doing walk a round it is just too much to carry. I travel very light when doing walk a round. But chop cup is a great piece of table magic. I have grabbed it from behind the bar and done it at tables when requested and it doesn't need much space for performing. The only problem I have with the chop cup personally is that its too much to carry. But if you work with a case then it wouldn't be a problem. I even load from my pants pockets and the final loads I have are pretty big and can be very obviously seen in my pocket but nobody has ever said anything about them. I have even done my dice stack at tables and my final load for that is a solid chunk of steel that fills the entire cup. I hold it between my knees for the entire trick. Good for the glutes. Smile

,Jonathan
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Does anyone know of a clip of Don Allen doing his routine. If not, how bout' someone doing Don Allen's routine? I'd love to add this to my library of great magic clips that I have saved on my PC. Searches have turned up dry....
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Well I'm happy to say that all Chop-cup woes thus far are going right where I expected.

Current Problems Named:
Cup is too bulky
Loads take up too much room
Table space is unavailable

Keep 'em coming.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
YES= I use a chop cup! Why? For me the chop Cop have all the magic Things happen. The Ball vanishes,Appear,penetrate,grow and change color...For me the chop cup plays very well in a Table Hooping situation!
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I bought one of the best chop cups ever made a year ago from Pete. Thomas Wayne's chop coffee mug. I use it occasionally. We never use things as much as we think we will. If I'm in a strolling situation where there will be a lot of kids, I'll take it. I prefer to travel light, only a deck of cards, coins, maybe some rubber bands. That will give me 15-20 minutes at every table. For special VIP tables, after dinner I often return and do the 3 cup routine. So, to answer your question, sometimes.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
YES
NO
SOMETIMES
WAS A REQUEST AND SO FEW USED IT Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Well, a few people did it. I've been keeping up with the thread a lot more than I thought I would, so people's answers are getting across.

Thanks for tryin' though.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5276 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Yes. I don't use table space for the routine.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
I am glad that this post has come up as I am very interested in putting together a chop cup routine.

Has anybody ever used the salt shaker chop cup? If so is it any good?

Lylemagic, you can find don Alan preforming a beautiful Chop Cup routine on The Greater Magic Series Volume 28 The Don Alan DVD.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2008-03-26 15:11, truesoldier wrote:
I am glad that this post has come up as I am very interested in putting together a chop cup routine.

Has anybody ever used the salt shaker chop cup? If so is it any good?

Lylemagic, you can find don Alan preforming a beautiful Chop Cup routine on The Greater Magic Series Volume 28 The Don Alan DVD.

1: I'm doing market research not a general conversation on chop cups. Read the first post.

2: No, the salt shaker chop cup is not a good idea. I made one for the sake of it and found it to be darn near useless.

3: I believe Lyle is looking for a clip of the performance, not a means to learn the effect.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2008-03-26 14:01, Harry Murphy wrote:
Yes. I don't use table space for the routine.

George Schindler in his last dvd "Entertainment First" use a Chop Cup (Mug style) and make a "Penetration" thru the hand of the spectator ans looks very nice! I use it and have a great reaction!
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
YES

I used the chop cup in my restaurants every week for 3 years. Since then I've been using it at each walkaround gig that I've been doing. I've stopped restaurants, but I am working very frequently at private events.

Problems: I have to carry it around in a cloth bag, and sometimes I leave it at tables. I hate having to return to a table, apologize, and interrupt a meal but it does happen occassionally. The people never mind but it drives me nuts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Chop Cup (research) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL