The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Penn Jillette (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
D*mn, Penn was kicked off of dancing with the stars...
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Just kicked off? They didn't throw him into a shredder!!
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Perhaps if he had listened to the judges and implemented their advice rather than contesting their considered analysis of his efforts. He did seem a good deal more gracious and sportsman-like tonight than he did previously, however.

I wonder why Penn flashes the devil horns finger gesture? Does it have some other meaning than "go to h*ll" or "hail the Lord of the Flies?" While in the former sense he might have been expressing his defiance towards the judges, he also presented the gesture to the audience (and they were cheering and supportive). If it is meant in the second sense, it seems an odd thing for an atheist to do.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-03-26 01:13, Leland Stone wrote:

I wonder why Penn flashes the devil horns finger gesture? Does it have some other meaning than "go to h*ll" or "hail the Lord of the Flies?" While in the former sense he might have been expressing his defiance towards the judges, he also presented the gesture to the audience (and they were cheering and supportive). If it is meant in the second sense, it seems an odd thing for an atheist to do.

Did you somehow miss the Voodoo theme of the dance? That would explain the mysterious hand gesture.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I think that's an old wives tale. Like the band KISS means Kids In Satan's Service. I always thought it mean Rock On!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6697 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2008-03-26 01:34, pepka wrote:
I think that's an old wives tale. Like the band KISS means Kids In Satan's Service. I always thought it mean Rock On!

Actually, as usual, KISS is misunderstood. I found a lot of religious people wanted to believe that it meant King's In Satan's Service. KISS was picked because it was the easiest thing for them to call the band that had to do with sex. Originally, they wanted to call it the F word, but they knew the label wouldn't take it.

As for the sign, if you do it with your thumb pressed against your middle and ring finger then you are doing a devil sign or cursing someone... if you do it like Gene, with the thumb out, it is the sign for I LOVE YOU in sign language. Interesting how people fall to strange conclusions.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
The devil sign is different than the signing of I love you in sign language...it's also different than hookem horns for the University of Texas
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I say you try being, what, six-foot six and his weight and be light on your feet. He was the most entertaining person to watch dancing. Better than stiff as a board Carola, heh.

See you space cowboy...
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Gigantic or not...Penn is a better dancer than me!

I'll miss his partner the most.

on the 26th day!
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2146 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Ok so, just thought I'd share this. Was recently having a jam session with an older musician (I play a few obscure instrument) to which he told me the story of the devil hand sign. Apparently it was a way for guitarists to wave at the crowd or recognize them, but still being able to hold onto there plectrums. Hence the two middle fingers hold down on to the plectrum.

M:C
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
I'm sure he was happy about it.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Who was the star he danced with?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Quote:
On 2008-03-26 15:42, Josh Riel wrote:
Who was the star he danced with?

He was the star.

See you space cowboy...
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Josh, genius is not always recognized in its time.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I'm just too brilliant for my own good.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Or, and I don't believe I'm saying this, too subtle.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Now your freaking me out.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I thought Penn was better, and overall far more talented, than Adam Corolla. I noticed the two hot blonds are with the worse guy dancers.

Now for the horn sign as used in rock. The 'devil horns' as being tossed around at a rock concert is attributed to, and no one argues this who has any knowledge of the events, to the badly haird Ronny James Dio of Black Sabbath when they were commercial (the world is filled with kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams its heaven and hellllll) and the fantasy rock band Dio. He would do the horn sign to the crowd and they would do it back then it spread from there, now you know the rock source. Dio was asked about where it came from and its meaning and he said that his grandmother was from Italy and she always did it and said it was a sign to keep away curses (and grandkids) and he just wanted to do something with his hands since he wasn't playing anything and went with the thing his grandmother did. He said, from his perspective and how he used it, that it had nothing to do at all with the devil.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-03-26 22:22, MagicSanta wrote:
Ronny James Dio of Black Sabbath when they were commercial (the world is filled with kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams its heaven and hellllll) and the fantasy rock band Dio.

and Rainbow!

And a band called "Elf," I think, but I've never seen any commercially available recordings by them.

In general, I prefer Ozzy to Dio as far as Black Sabbath frontmen go, but I think for one song, it's hard to beat Heaven and Hell.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Of course, until today, I'd never looked THAT hard...available on Amazon - "Ronnie James Dio: The Elf Albums [IMPORT]" I think I'm gonna have to get me some of that.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Penn Jillette (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL